New Barn

/ New Barn #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
I am in the process of building a new barn. It will be 20x40 12 feet high with future lean too's off either side of 15 feet wide for total of 50x40 feet. The center for now will be half winter hay storage and half tractor and misc storage.

Here is my progress so far!

/ New Barn
barn 1.jpgbarn 2.jpgbarn 3.jpgbarn 4.jpg

/ New Barn #4  
How did you come up with your spacing for your posts? They are farther apart then I'm comfortable with if I was building it. I'd go 12 feet max and be a lot happier with 8 feet. What are you going to use for purlins?

Eddie

/ New Barn #5  
Nice!

I have a thought about your centered door placement though. Given the interior width of the center section of ~19 ft., centering the doors leaves ~4 ft. on each side. If you use a 12 ft wide door (10' is on the skinny side) and offset it to one side, you would have a more useful access and width of storage space along the opposite side, about 9 ft.--which is wide enough to store some tractor implements, 60" lawn mower, etc.

A 12 ft. wide door allows you to move some things in and out of the barn without moving a parked tractor or vehicle out of the way too. For example, if the parked vehicle uses 8 ft. of width when tucked in near the outside wall, that leaves a minimum of 4 ft. of clearance between the side of the vehicle and the door opening.

Just something to think about.

/ New Barn
How did you come up with your spacing for your posts? They are farther apart then I'm comfortable with if I was building it. I'd go 12 feet max and be a lot happier with 8 feet. What are you going to use for purlins?

Eddie

Ya I had initially designed for 10' spacing, but was advised by carpenter and structural engineer that stretching it out to save time with the footings would be ok.

4 ply 2x10 beam on bottom, 2x6 walls, and engineered trusses on top

/ New Barn
Nice!

I have a thought about your centered door placement though. Given the interior width of the center section of ~19 ft., centering the doors leaves ~4 ft. on each side. If you use a 12 ft wide door (10' is on the skinny side) and offset it to one side, you would have a more useful access and width of storage space along the opposite side, about 9 ft.--which is wide enough to store some tractor implements, 60" lawn mower, etc.

A 12 ft. wide door allows you to move some things in and out of the barn without moving a parked tractor or vehicle out of the way too. For example, if the parked vehicle uses 8 ft. of width when tucked in near the outside wall, that leaves a minimum of 4 ft. of clearance between the side of the vehicle and the door opening.

Just something to think about.

I thought about putting the door off to one side right after we finished the footings.

I defiantly have to agree with you about a 12 foot door to the one side, would probably work better.
For now I think this will work for me, I plan on having one of the lean too's open for equipment storage.

And the centred door should look sharp!

/ New Barn #8  
I thought about putting the door off to one side right after we finished the footings.

I defiantly have to agree with you about a 12 foot door to the one side, would probably work better.
For now I think this will work for me, I plan on having one of the lean too's open for equipment storage.

And the centred door should look sharp!

Well, if it has to be centered, then a 16' door would be your friend. :D

I have a 16' W by 9' H overhead door. It is easy to put up and down manually--no opener. I park my truck with an 8' wide bed and 6' wide tractor side by side in that door opening. If it matters now, or someday, you won't do that with a 10' or 12' door even though your building width would allow it.

I'm going to shut up now. :laughing:

/ New Barn
Having a garage door never occurred to me. Good idea but I'm sure it's not in my budget.

At the moment I have nothing that the door will interfere with and it's already done so I'm not changing it.
Thanks for the good ideas on future buildings