New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #31  
I see nothing wrong with washing your equipment unless you are hitting sensitive seals with a pressure washer at a close distance.
Wash mine regularly, I dislike dirty equipment except for hay tools, they get the air hose only.

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #32  
We’re it me, I would have the dealer do the hydraulic oil exchange and clean up, so it was done correctly. Make sure you attach any hydraulic oil system operated attachments so they get cleaned out/up as well.
You do not want to get the tractor clean as a pin then hook up a dirty grapple and have the entire system contaminated again.

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #34  
Very good advice - but hard to do on the M59 & possibly the M62 is the same. The floorboards are not easily removed. Grinding is required. And near impossible to access. I never have found a way to easily check the vents on our similar M59.
IF YOU FIND THE VENTS PLEASE POST THE INFO.
rScotty,

I am not familiar with the specific hydraulic reservoir vent on the M62 but I would be surprised if it wasn't identical to the M59, which combines the fill plug and reservoir vent into the same unit. The vent is nothing more than a upside down "J" shaped flexible rubber hose molded into the reservoir fill plug. The fill plug is underneath the flip up cover just behind the seat and directly above the rear PTO shaft.

mtputney,

I am surprised that your hydraulic oil analysis found zero percent water in the tested sample given the oils appearance however the milky appearance could also be attributable to the high calcium suspended solids. Calcium is a lubricant in oils and also sacrificial item ( detergent ) as calcium is easily reacted with.

I am NOW suspecting you received an M62 that Kubota delivered without flushing or adequately flushing the hydraulic system, after assembly/ manufacturing, before delivery. you indicate you received tractor new from a dealer ( a dealer who clearly should be out of business given their refusal/ denial of a clear problem with newly delivered machine that is within warranty period).

Perhaps a letter and followup phone call to Kubota's regional representative is the your best action moving forward.

Below is comparison of Kubota SUDT spec to the OP test sample analysis. The zinc, at 0.1122 % weight and equivalent 1122ppm, and viscosity at 100'C in test are actually lower than spec.

Attachments

• 1665158199505.png
    1665158199505.png
    410.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
   / New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #35  
What does it smell like?

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #36  
Curious contamination conundrum.

My understanding is the tractor is made in Japan. Loader and backhoe made in the USA. Plus 3rd party suppliers for both. Makes for a lot possible sources for contamination? Calcium also a component in some grease.

Oil doesn’t analysis show excessive wear or operating issues. Changing it like you have your best option and continue to monitor.

Maybe a special break in additive addition to new machines? Anti rust/galling coating on new cylinders? New normal for new machines?

Don’t have the PM schedule in front of me but think that there is a HST filter change at 50 hours then every 200 hours? Hydraulic oil and filters change at 400hr intervals?

I would be alarmed too seeing this come out of my new machine. I don’t have experience of changing oil out of new machines either. Hopefully you will see normal, hard to see on a dip stick, clean oil from now on.

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #37  
I think I am on board with Surshot--

The news is not all bad. The test on the oil did not show signs of excess metal.
What is unknown is the composition of the solids in the oil.

There is no way to know if water (and what ever is in it) has contaminated the oil. But the test also shows the water is not there now. But What was in it may still be.

Having the dealer flush and change the oil may put the problem to an end. ALSO try to talk with the mechanic about this so he knows what he is looking for --solving a problem, not just a oil change. Then talk with him to find want he saw came out.

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #38  
Could the solids be clutch, or brake material in suspension? Are the brakes wet type?

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil
We’ve been getting all the advice we can and I think the explanation from rScotty at OrangeTractorTalk sounds right – “Kubota delivered without flushing or adequately flushing the hydraulic system”- we know that the dealer didn’t do most/all of the dealer prep because of other things that got missed.

We’re doing multiple changes right now and the machine will go into the shop for flushing at the first snowfall.

The oil that came out after the first change and about 10 hours of use looked filthy again.

/ New(ish) Kubota M62 With Filthy Hydraulic Oil #40  
We’ve been getting all the advice we can and I think the explanation from rScotty at OrangeTractorTalk sounds right – “Kubota delivered without flushing or adequately flushing the hydraulic system”- we know that the dealer didn’t do most/all of the dealer prep because of other things that got missed.

We’re doing multiple changes right now and the machine will go into the shop for flushing at the first snowfall.

The oil that came out after the first change and about 10 hours of use looked filthy again.
mtputney,

I'm a bit confused. I just looked at the OrangeTractorTalks thread and don't see a mention by rScotty but I do see the above thread #34 where I replied to both rScotty and yourself: "I am NOW suspecting you received an M62 that Kubota delivered without flushing or adequately flushing the hydraulic system, after assembly/ manufacturing, before delivery. you indicate you received tractor new from a dealer ( a dealer who clearly should be out of business given their refusal/ denial of a clear problem with newly delivered machine that is within warranty period)."

Good to see you are flushing the system out. I would also be contacting Kubota's regional sales rep to lodge a complaint and work to get them to pick up the costs of poorly delivered machine.

Please elaborate on "we know that the dealer didn’t do most/all of the dealer prep because of other things that got missed."

Hope you are successful.

Last edited: