Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #61  
We are bone dry here. Could use some of that rain, Iman. So far, Buppies, I run the big fans all night and it brings the house down to a comfortable temp. That's because it cools off so nicely here at night. I hope we( both of us) don't have to go to wet T-shirts and the big fans during the day. But, we are prepared to do just that.

I never considered AC when I built the house here in '82. It would get so cold at night - have to get up, middle of the night, turn the big fans off.

We'll make it here OK. If it gets too hot - retreat to the Taco Wagon - short trips - BIG on the truck AC.

I think, by the middle of the coming week, there could be a lot of folks in trouble around here. This area has NEVER experienced a heat wave like we are about to witness. A whole lot of folks still live in their old homestead house. Very little ventilation and no AC.
I grew up on the east side of the state, we never had AC and your method is what we did, then retreat down to the basement when the main house got too warm.

I remember a very nice older woman that lived in large old house in Walla Walla, and my friends and i would stop by to see how she was doing, needed any chores done etc. We just got done cleaning up the yard, hot and sweaty, she invited us in to sit and cool off, drink some home made lemon aid. I was amazed at how cool her house was, asked her if she had AC, and she laughed, and said the house is designed to be cooler in the summer, something about the shape of it and large veranda and the huge shade trees. She opened up when it cooled down and closed up when it heated up. Worked well, as long and it cooled down in the evening.

Wednesday got a hold of a buddy of mine that lives a little south of here and asked if his AC was working. He lives in an older mobile home and those things get hot, he said, it wasn't so we loaded up our portable AC and went for a visit. We unloaded the AC unit, got it set up, then sat on the porch had some ice-cream with strawberries and wonderful conversation.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #62  
When it only drops into the 90s at night for a few days, that's when people start to suffer. Heat builds up in the structure and can't be shed. Brutal.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #63  
When I built my house in 1996, i did not install ac Cause all the people I talked to said ac was not necessary. Luckily I installed central heat though. A few years later summers became unbearable. Too many large south facing windows. Even opening house at night did not help by the middle of the afternoon. Changing over to ac was easy due to furnace location and the fact ducts were already run. They added the coils and line set and I built a lean to to protect outside condenser. I don’t care what the elect costs, I love the ac.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #64  
When it only drops into the 90s at night for a few days, that's when people start to suffer. Heat builds up in the structure and can't be shed. Brutal.
That doesn't happen in the PNW. We're low humidity, and with no water in the air it doesn't retain much heat. It typically cools off 30 degrees at night, so if it's 100 during the day it gets to no more than 70 by dawn. They're predicting 103 today in my area, but it was 62 at dawn this morning. There was no dew, which gives you an idea of how dry it is.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #65  
Been cold here all spring and now that summer is here it's even cooler. I doubt we will break 80 here this weekend.
Don't speak too soon. It's supposed to be 80 in Coos Bay this weekend. I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Bandon early next week, and it's supposed to be 80 degrees. That's our normal inland high this time of year. I bet you won't be able to find anyplace to stay on the coast this weekend.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #66  
Don't speak too soon. It's supposed to be 80 in Coos Bay this weekend. I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Bandon early next week, and it's supposed to be 80 degrees. That's our normal inland high this time of year. I bet you won't be able to find anyplace to stay on the coast this weekend.
Same thing down here, I doubt we will even hit 70 here today, like 51 degrees here now.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued
Yes - that is exactly what happens here. It is 10% relative humidity right now and 92F outside. Inside it is a cool 75F. It may rise to 80F inside. By that time it will have cooled outside and the fans go on. The cycle repeats.

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #68  
Portland again, with warmer nights noted.

PDX-hot.jpg

Bruce

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #69  
I know this doesn’t help you northern people, but the temperature in the Mojave right now is 93.7*. Single digit humidity and quite comfortable outside right now. I better enjoy it now, as the real heat 110+ will becoming soon. Go figure

/ Pacific North West - Excessive heat warning issued #70  
Its 68 here right now.......

inside the house. 94 outside