Plasma cutter question?

/ Plasma cutter question? #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I am interested in getting a plasma cutter,

and I want a good unit, but I look at, hobart, lincoln, intertherm, and running in the $1500 +range for a 30 amp unit,

and see east wood, and harbor freight, woodward, some others, (yes i know there imports), but the price of the units are about a third of the name brands,

one thing I want is to be able to get the consumables,

would like to be able to cut nicely 3/8" and the first project was to make some item out of sheet metal 24 to 28 gauge.

any advice?

/ Plasma cutter question? #4  
I think my Hypertherm 45XP is the greatest thing ever but I've never used anything else.

/ Plasma cutter question? #5  
I have owned quite a few plasma machines that I use in the field for stainless work and the ones that held up best were the ESAB and Thermal Dynamics units, they seem to have the best torches and even the tips and cups last longer than most other machines I have owned.

/ Plasma cutter question? #6  
Cheapo machines become expensive paperweights after you discover you cant buy spare parts to keep it running. You get what you pay for. You will have more luck and better quality on well known name brands vs Chinese junk.

You dont save any money going cheap on tools because in the long run you end up spending more buying it twice.

/ Plasma cutter question? #7  
All good advice so far.

I have two Millers. My top three choices would be Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics, Miller in that order.

/ Plasma cutter question? #8  
I've had three Millers. Liked them all.

I would never consider purchasing a 2-3 hundred dollar cutter with the expectation to quality cut 3/8".

Come to think of it,, I can't think of any reason I'd buy a 2-3 hundred dollar cutter....

/ Plasma cutter question? #9  
I've had three Millers. Liked them all.

I would never consider purchasing a 2-3 hundred dollar cutter with the expectation to quality cut 3/8".

Come to think of it,, I can't think of any reason I'd buy a 2-3 hundred dollar cutter....

My only complaint with Miller is that they overate their cut capacities. Or perhaps they’re over rating my skillset....

/ Plasma cutter question? #10  
I agree Terry. I've got a portable 625 now. It's excellent on 1/4". Over that and the speed drops off dramatically