UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
I'm hoping to purchase either a new or used Mule Pro FTX (see previous thread on inflated pricing). One of the items on its' long list of duties in plowing our ~ 1/2 mile driveway. It is a milling base, and a simple up and back push with minimal elevation changes or turns. We have a substantial parking area and driveway circle as well. Where we live, we rarely get snowfalls that are more than 6-8" at a time, but often the snows are wet. I'm considering a full hydro setup like a Boss setup, but I was quoted 4300 installed for a 72" straight blade setup which is a bit steep for residential use. I've also looked into the KFI all in one setups with the actuator and that will set me back much less than the boss setup even when adding a winch.

I plowed at my old house (a small paved drive) with an ATV and Warn Provantage system and liked it, but wasn't a big fan of having to get off every time I needed to change the angle.
I also am concerned with long term wear and tear on the unit, so I need to find something in the middle of the road in terms of weight/performance.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #2  
I‘ve got a Blackline, full hydraulic plow on the tiny truck. I’ve had it for about 7-years now. I replaced all of the bolts the factory installed as pivots, and replaced them with grade 8 bolts. And had to replace the tabs which keep the plow from tilting back to far. And, I had to replace the wireless remote with a wired one, after I dropped the wireless unit. Other than that it has been a reliable unit.

But I checked current pricing and a 72-inch blade is closes to $7000 right now. So, a bit expensive. The ability to apply some down force is a big plus. But, I’m not sure teh big of a plus.

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #3  
Residential use means plowing a maximum 4 inches of snow on a 20 foot long driveway three times a year during the warranty period.

If you are regularly plowing a 1/2 mile driveway budget for a replacement UTV and plow soon.

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #4  
We got a 72" KFI this fall and its OK... I egged out its angle pivot pin and need to rebuild that, but with all the power we have to push it, I kind of expect to bend and break things :eek: I also doubled the trip springs. No plow is perfect.
P1140076.jpg

Last edited:
   / UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch
Residential use means plowing a maximum 4 inches of snow on a 20 foot long driveway three times a year during the warranty period.

If you are regularly plowing a 1/2 mile driveway budget for a replacement UTV and plow soon.
I have access to my dad's F250 with a plow and his JD 990 with a FEL and rear blade if we get big snows. I just don't want to wait around for him to get us cleared out during our mostly nuisance 2-4" snows we get. It's not his responsibility, even though I know he doesn't mind. Not to mention the countless other uses I have for a UTV on the property.

I thought about purchasing a tractor for myself, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now when my dad has one (not to mention it's slow with the rear blade). I don't want to put a plow on my Tundra and I have no intention of storing a dedicated plow truck around my place.

Last edited:
   / UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #6  
I plowed for years with an ATV,and still have one(2020 Yamaha),it's my back-up and light snow removal tool.Tractor with a front and rear blades do the heavy work.
ATV is way better than a shovel.

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #7  
And some of us with atv's can push up rocks, logs, the lawn, plus dirt in general. :ROFLMAO:
maxplows590.jpg

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #8  
I have access to my dad's F250 with a plow and his JD 990 with a FEL and rear blade if we get big snows. I just don't want to wait around for him to get us cleared out during our mostly nuisance 2-4" snows we get. It's not his responsibility, even though I know he doesn't mind. Not to mention the countless other uses I have for a UTV on the property.

I thought about purchasing a tractor for myself, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now when my dad has one (not to mention it's slow with the rear blade). I don't want to put a plow on my Tundra and I have no intention of storing a dedicated plow truck around my place.

You should invest in a commercial 155 RAMMY single stage snow thrower and a new ATV
or kubota rtv900 with a heater/defroster so you can avoid all that.

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #9  
I use a V plow on the Kubota RTV. Works good for smaller snow falls. If more than 2 ft or so will use the plow for the tractor

IMG_2802.jpeg

/ UTV Plow Setup - Hydro vs Manual/Winch #10  
This is how a straight blade works, in more serious snow. :eek: The snow bank was about 4ft tall.
P1140139.jpg

P1140137.jpg