Power Beyond - JD 790

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #1  

jmerritt1

Tractor
JD 790
Hello,

This is my first post, but I have reading posts from this site for quite some time. Its been very helpful.

I'm in need of a bit of advice. I have a JD 790 with a 70 FEL. I recently purchased a JD 7 backhoe to put on it. I purchased it knowing that I had to install the power beyond kit to my tractor. Its JD part number BM18005. Guess what....turns out that part is obsolete! I've searched everywhere for one and have had no luck. I have a search pending incase one pops up on Ebay, but I'm doubtful.

It doing some research, it appears like the kit was rather 'simple', so I am contemplating trying to build the kit myself. It looks like I need to tap into the supply side of the rockshaft and then plumb in a return to the rockshaft housing. I found a great post on anther site that seems like I could use stock hydraulic parts to build the supply and return lines.

My question(s) is relative to the connection to the rock shaft. The power beyond kit that JD used to offer hooked up to the rockshaft using a hollow screw and banjo connection on a hydraulic tube. It appears that I can get the hollow screw still (part M800853), but I need a banjo connection to a JIC that would fit the hollow screw. Does anybody know where I could get one? My plan was to connect to the rockshaft using the banjo to JIC, then use stock hydraulic hoses and fittings to create the power beyond lines. IS that a bad plan, or should it work? here is an image of the power beyond kit that I got from another post on this forum.
PBlines%20a[1].jpgPBlines%20b[1].jpg

Appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #2  
:welcome: to TBN

If you have not noticed, there are similar threads listed at the bottom of these posts.. looks like several address the same situation. Likely, as memory doesn't serve me exactly, there are discussions to do what you plan to do. But the bottom line, I believe that you can do it.. just know what to disconnect and plumb into .. as you are planning.

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #3  
Welcome to TBN! I have the exact same setup with the Deere Power Beyond kit. If you need photos or measurements, let me know.

/ Power Beyond - JD 790
Bennthere,

thanks for the response. I did search the other posts and they have been most helpful. From those posts I think I fully understand how the power beyond kit works. At this point I'm just trying to come up with the best way to make the connection at the rockshaft. I just asked a question on the Hydraulics forum about using a Convert-A-Flare to transition from the existing metal hydraulic line to standard JIC fittings. this image shows my most current thought on how to make the connection. If I can do this, I could run standard hydraulic hoses to a rear set of quick connects. Of course I would have a connector hose to complete the loop when the backhoe was not in use.
Hydro Mod.jpg

/ Power Beyond - JD 790
RobS,

Thanks for the response.

I took off the cover over the SCV and rockshaft yesterday (see photo in post #4). Can you take a look at that photo and just confirm that my understanding is correct? From everything that I have seen and read, it looks like the power beyond kit just extends this hydraulic line to the back of the tractor, loops it, and sends it back to the rockshaft. If I'm understanding it correctly, I just need to extend this line (somehow) to a back set of quick connects, with a connection between the quick connects to be used when the backhoe is off.

Can you just check and make sure that those are the two ports that your power beyond uses? As I mentioned in pots 4 above, I'm thinking of using convert-a-flares and cut this hydraulic line so that I can extend it to the back. perhaps it just better to let a hydraulic shop braze on fittings instead of using a convert-a-flare. I've posted something on the hydraulic forum to see what experience other have had using convert-a-flare fittings.

again, I appreciate the help!

Jeff

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #6  
Jeff,
Those banjo fittings can be replace with ORB/SAE fittings, so you can connect directly to the tranny case with ORB->JIC adapters and not have to use any swagelocks.

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #7  
RobS,

Thanks for the response.

I took off the cover over the SCV and rockshaft yesterday (see photo in post #4). Can you take a look at that photo and just confirm that my understanding is correct? From everything that I have seen and read, it looks like the power beyond kit just extends this hydraulic line to the back of the tractor, loops it, and sends it back to the rockshaft. If I'm understanding it correctly, I just need to extend this line (somehow) to a back set of quick connects, with a connection between the quick connects to be used when the backhoe is off.

Can you just check and make sure that those are the two ports that your power beyond uses? As I mentioned in pots 4 above, I'm thinking of using convert-a-flares and cut this hydraulic line so that I can extend it to the back. perhaps it just better to let a hydraulic shop braze on fittings instead of using a convert-a-flare. I've posted something on the hydraulic forum to see what experience other have had using convert-a-flare fittings.

again, I appreciate the help!

Jeff

Hey Jeff, sorry I didn't see this until now. I'll check tonight and let you know.

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #8  
To kind of tag on to this thread about the 790, I looked at one yesterday, 500 hours with FEL, no backhoe. So, y'all saying here that installing a backhoe on the 790 is not easy, eh? If that's the case, I'll pass on this one, even though it's a great looking tractor with low hours. I need a backhoe.

/ Power Beyond - JD 790
Kennyd,

thank you. that was what I was looking for. From another TBN post I know that the port is 3/4"-16, so that should be SAE 8. Now I can just get the correct ORB/SAE fitting and not have to reuse the banjo. again, thank you!