Problem sharpening a new chain

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #21  
It’d come down to the profile of the cutter or the hardness of the chrome on the cutters. As far as sharpening files are fine for round cutting firewood but for square and production falling square is hard to bet. Stihl makes a good chain but I’ve never cared for itself I can’t get the cutters shaped the way I want in most applications I’m cutting.
IMG_2663.jpg

Yes a brand new chain needs sharpened at the very least the rakers need dropped to even cut right.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #22  
@Skeans1 Went to a couple of my local saw shops and was asking about the files for square ground and got the look of I had 3 heads and they wanted to cut 2 off. Just something I wanted to play with, and so far I am liking it. Haven't done much as far as filing yet so hopefully I can maintain the correct profile, but just thought it would be fun.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #23  
It’d come down to the profile of the cutter or the hardness of the chrome on the cutters. As far as sharpening files are fine for round cutting firewood but for square and production falling square is hard to bet. Stihl makes a good chain but I’ve never cared for itself I can’t get the cutters shaped the way I want in most applications I’m cutting.View attachment 726428
Yes a brand new chain needs sharpened at the very least the rakers need dropped to even cut right.

Really? A brand new chain won’t cut right until you sharpen it first?

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #24  
Really? A brand new chain won’t cut right until you sharpen it first?

Yes when production cutting a brand new chain cuts like garbage, I’m wanting something that’s aggressive, fast cutting, and will pull on its own without me pushing on the saw.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #25  
[mention]check [/mention]
This is why I say a new chain needs sharpened.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #27  
Oregon makes a dremel style chain grinder that comes with different size stones. Once you try it you'll be hooked. It sharpens the chain in one third the time and does a great job. It runs off 12V so you can sharpen at your work bench with an old battery charger or anywhere in the field with your tractor/car battery.
I bought a similar unit a while back, mine ran on 110V, not battery. I think I was halfway thru when the grinding stone broke. It only came with one of each size, so I finished it off with my old clamp on sharpening guide.
Any suggestions for bits for the dremel-style sharpeners that stand up a little better? Reviews were all over the place on any I looked at on Amazon.

As far as the file occasionally catching on a tooth, that happens to me sometimes too. Usually if I'm trying to go too fast or pressing a bit too hard.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #28  
It’s the correct size file. I think Eric’s theories make sense.
Eric's theory is correct.
Noticed on virtually evey new chain I purchased. The factory sharpening does not match the file. Usually, it would file easier after the initial (difficult) filing.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #29  
Eric's theory is correct.
Noticed on virtually evey new chain I purchased. The factory sharpening does not match the file. Usually, it would file easier after the initial (difficult) filing.
New factory chain tends to have a gullet burr left over from the factory grind. That burr will snag a file on the first sharpening resulting in file chatter.

/ Problem sharpening a new chain #30  
I got some highly touted Chinese chain on Amazon recently. The gullets have a noticeably larger radius than the file does. So the first filing will be a lot of work before I even get to making it sharper. Maybe I'll use the grinder first to get closer.

It'll be a while though as the chain does not work in my new bar... the drive links are a little too wide. It fits in the slot but there's too much friction. When the chain's tightened it doesn't turn. I measured and they're a couple thou wider on average than the other new and worn chains I had handy.