Proposed update to front porch forum rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Proposed update to front porch forum rules #321  
You misunderstand me. I have no business objecting to how you want to run your show. It's not about me. Obviously, there are members here who want to talk with each other about politics and religion after the day is done and their tractors are back in their sheds. Their intimations are ignored and dismissed.

Can't you set aside a sub-forum to let your members unwind and share opinions on matters that they feel are meaningful to their lives? If we can talk about stew recipes and guns, why not politics and religion?
See post #1

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #322  
I wonder why politics and religion are not allowed anywhere anymore. That was the rule here in the US at the dinner table; especially, with guests. Not in France or Germany or anywhere I have been to in Europe.

Forum rules that gag people from discussing matters impacting their lives have a purpose. Getting hog-tied is for farm animals headed for slaughter.

By the way, East Central Ilinois would be near the Fox river? There are some nice bars in Geneva.
I can understand the reason for limiting some of the topics on some occasions, i.e which religion is best, which candidate is best, and so forth. But when generalities in politics or religion are deemed out of bounds it seems that maybe the moderators need moderating.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #323  
I saw that coming in and thought it was a great idea. It is exactly what a forum site needs to grow exponentially.

The owner will not be able to implement his plan if he hires doofuses for the cattle drive to get his herd to market.

Based on Moss's demographic description, there is a pool of able members. Pick any four or five and invite them to serve as moderators. But don't make them bullet-proof. That will allow them to become like our politicians who forget that they are our servants. Any business that is not sensitive to their customer base eventually bites the dust.
If a post is deleted or a thread shot down, the moderator need to sign his name to it and give specific reasons for the shut down and leave that in a publicly accessed place.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #324  
You misunderstand me. I have no business objecting to how you want to run your show. It's not about me. Obviously, there are members here who want to talk with each other about politics and religion after the day is done and their tractors are back in their sheds. Their intimations are ignored and dismissed.

Can't you set aside a sub-forum to let your members unwind and share opinions on matters that they feel are meaningful to their lives? If we can talk about stew recipes and guns, why not politics and religion?
First, I can't "DO" anything. I don't run the forum. The forum owners run the forum. It's not my show to run.

Second, there already is a place for colorful off topic discussions. It's called the Front Porch and you can request access to it from the forum owners.

Third, for even more fun, the forum owners set up another website called Top News Talk where you can talk politics to your heart's content.

Again, you joined here just a few short weeks ago and already are asking for changes.

Take it up with the owners.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #325  
Sharing opinions on what is good or evil, truth or baloney, isn't a bad thing. This is what is done in academia and among scientists even. Debate hones the mind to discover things that don't work. But when folks start slinging mud, that's the time for the bouncers to step in.

Also, moderators must not be allowed to participate in discussions. It's not fair to let referee fight in the ring and call foul at the same time. If a moderator wants to fight, ditch his role, put on gloves and be prepared to get floored by a haymaker that can rip his head off his neck.
Excellent point, once a moderator participates in a thread he should be disqualified to moderate that thread or perhaps have to wait until his last post is at least 20 back.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #326  
If a post is deleted or a thread shot down, the moderator need to sign his name to it and give specific reasons for the shut down and leave that in a publicly accessed place.
I don't think any have been deleted since January, but could be mistaken.
Check any of the closed threads since January. A reason has been given for all of them.

/ Proposed update to front porch forum rules #329  
The la
I don't think any have been deleted since January, but could be mistaken.
Check any of the closed threads since January. A reason has been given for all of them.
The last one I saw closed was talking about origins not religion and because some were talking about specific creation other than naturalistic creation the thread was shut down for daring to delve into religion.
Revealed a little something about the moderator IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.