PTO snowblower?

/ PTO snowblower?
Ah yes. We have one right in Twisp. I'll give them a jingle.

/ PTO snowblower? #12  
A snowblower doesn’t need the weight and travels on clear ground unlike a rear blade. (I wouldn’t “push” a rear blade, only “pull”).

I’d think a setup with a snowblower on front and blade (plow) on back, or snowblower on back and plow or bucket on front would make a good snow clearing machine.
Each have their advantages and disadvantages. (Speed vs snowbanks vs wind vs getting into spots, etc..)

/ PTO snowblower?
I was just thinking a little weight on the front tires to help steerage while the blower is on the ground trying to keep the tractor from turning.

Anyone know the ideal RPM for small blower to chuck snow good? its the one piece I need to calculate my gearing etc.

/ PTO snowblower? #14  
I was just thinking a little weight on the front tires to help steerage while the blower is on the ground trying to keep the tractor from turning.

Anyone know the ideal RPM for small blower to chuck snow good? its the one piece I need to calculate my gearing etc.
Well my CUT has 3 PTO speeds.
The 500 is pathetic, the 1000 wants to shake things apart but my 700 +/- does a great job.
Have run that 700 +/- for some 10 year or so without any major issues.

/ PTO snowblower? #15  
I suspect that having weight on the front helps steering when the blower is raised more than when lowered and sliding on the ground.

/ PTO snowblower? #16  
A snowblower doesn’t need the weight and travels on clear ground unlike a rear blade. (I wouldn’t “push” a rear blade, only “pull”).

I’d think a setup with a snowblower on front and blade (plow) on back, or snowblower on back and plow or bucket on front would make a good snow clearing machine.
Each have their advantages and disadvantages. (Speed vs snowbanks vs wind vs getting into spots, etc..)
LS ready for snow2.jpg

This works well for me. Pull blower on the back for most of the work. Mounted an old rear blade on a 3ph to SSQA adapter plate on the front for back dragging and scrapping the concrete pad. 74" blower was $4000. Old blade and SSQA adapter on front was $350.

BTW, for light snows, (4" or so) I angle the front blade to windrow the snow to the center of the drive and make one pass with the blower. Also, by turning the blade backwards, there is less digging of the gravel before the frost sets it up.

A front mount LS blower was $7500.

/ PTO snowblower? #17  
My old blower is 540 and that works just fine. You can get them with 540 or 1,000 gearboxes on them----your choice. The blower will run at the same speed with either. Advantage of 1,000--- NONE! Some tractors only have 1,000 so thats why the different gearboxes.

/ PTO snowblower? #18  

Yes you will need front weight if 3pt blower and you do not have loader or blade on front of tractor.

As for RPM, fan speed should be 1:1 of PTO RPM, at least on the 540 blowers I've run.

/ PTO snowblower? #19  
The question is is it a drift that’s frozen in place or just snowfall/accumulation? If it’s only a couple times a year get a tractor (weight over hp) with a blade. If you have a blade or a loader arm worst case in a crazy snow fall your going to spend a day pushing the berm aside bucket width at a time.
I caved this spring and bought a blower because the path kept getting narrower and narrower and with the drifts we were spending 20+ hours per week just keeping it passable. The blower however is slow as heck. It gets rid of the snow but 75hp on a blower still doesn’t move very fast.
my advise would be to get the blade tractor or truck for cheap and if you get in a bind hire a local to dig you out the 1 time in 20 years your blade can’t keep up.

/ PTO snowblower? #20  
I run a 50" blower.. A 3pt mount Buhler/Allied brand.. This on a JD 2032R with loaded turfs and 2 link V bar ladder chains..

This tractor could handle a 60" easily enough, but the blower was purchased gently used and quite cheap..

I also use a 72" rear blade until winter overwhelms it, then switch to the blower..

For the price and usefulness I have no problem looking over my shoulder to blow snow. A bigger blower would make it quicker, but quick and a perfect job each pass is not a requirement to me..