Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #121  
It seems ironic to me, that one can often buy working, used industrial equipment for less than these new, tiny machines. Its not hard to find a decent D6, or payloader for 15k. Mind you, it won't be nearly as comfortable as the new machine.

Getting it serviced though when it breaks down is a total crapshoot. If you can't fix it yourself, getting someone who can may not be possible or, the cost could be astronomical.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #122  
It seems ironic to me, that one can often buy working, used industrial equipment for less than these new, tiny machines. Its not hard to find a decent D6, or payloader for 15k. Mind you, it won't be nearly as comfortable as the new machine.
Hauling it, servicing it, or working on your own yard/property all become problematic with a 50,000 lb machine

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #123  
Hauling it, servicing it, or working on your own yard/property all become problematic with a 50,000 lb machine

Even a 10K# tractor is pretty hard on your yard and can really muddy up a pasture with ruts as well.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #124  
Lets not confuse sprung weight versus unsprung weight. There is a lot of info on the internet on this.
My tractor doesn’t have springs!

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #125  
I'm not sure common sense is involved at all, when trying to guess how well or how poorly some tractor manufacturer in India did or did not design their front axle.
By the way, the Max series is built in Japan, along with it's motor. Still, the info is either not available or well hidden.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #126  

A 10000 pound anything is a PITA to deal with. I had an old Cat V60B forklift that clocked in at just over 10k and when it went down, you better hope it wasn't in your way cuz it wasn't moving with any other reasonably available equipment. Wife was ready to skin me because the steering locked up right in front of the garage. Took 3 months to get it all fixed and she had to park in the driveway the whole time....

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #127  
Yes, they are neat. The common name is either "Shuttle Shift" for F/R, and "Powershif" for ranges and gears within ranges. Lots of tractors had both....some still do, and it's still an under-appreciated sweet spot price-wise even on brand new compact tractors. Most are fingertip operation. They aren't quite as smooth as HST, for loader work, but larger tractors tend to use shuttle because they are efficient and durable.

Some of the early versions required clutching for gears and ranges, but used clutchless electrically triggered hydraulic actuators for shuttling between forward and reverse..... whew, what a sentence....

Anyway, early versions back in the 1960s and 70s by Ford and JD were iffy and had some problems. The first powershift I personally looked at was the Yanmar clutchless "powershift" that they went to in the early 1980s on everything over 16 hp. I saw it as a demo at a dealer show. I almost bought that tractor....

How those work is that the transmission gears are locked in by hydraulic clutch pack right next to each gear on the transmission shaft. The trigger is an electric shifter that sticks out the side of the steering wheel. smooth and darn near trouble free. Even today you don't hear much problems with those old powershifts.

enjoy, rScotty
The 2420 I just got rid of had the powershift and it was my favorite thing about the tractor. Fantastic being able to change speed while mowing without clutching. If that tractor was bigger I wouldn't have gotten rid of it.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #128  
So, the 1025r bucket holds 6 CF of material, meaning the max weight of material lifted would then be:

Gravel = 750 Lbs Dry
Sand = 600 Lbs Wet
Dirt = 480 Lbs Dry

I have the same bucket size on my Mahindra Max-24, and tractor+ Loader weight is 2300 lbs. My loader is capable of lifting 900 lbs, though I would never stress that type of load. How much counter weight would you suggest at 600 lbs?
I’m not sure exactly how much weight I have in my ballast box, probably in the 500 to 600 pound range. I think my manual says 700 pounds. I also have loaded tires but that isn’t really counter balance.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #129  
A 10000 pound anything is a PITA to deal with. I had an old Cat V60B forklift that clocked in at just over 10k and when it went down, you better hope it wasn't in your way cuz it wasn't moving with any other reasonably available equipment. Wife was ready to skin me because the steering locked up right in front of the garage. Took 3 months to get it all fixed and she had to park in the driveway the whole time....

When mother isn't happy, no one is happy... 🤣

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #130  
Some of the shortest posts in this thread have been the ones i most agreed with, so i might as well give up right now because i cant seem to make a short post.

MOVING ON... lol I think the comment about breaking 'the axle' vs breaking the 4wd system that lives IN the axle, was especially relevant. Transferring a bunch of torque across a tiny bevel gear drive is not only a bad idea, it adds its own spreading forces to the housings which could take an axle that would have lived in 2wd, over the breaking point simply by being under power. Once something lets go in a gear drive, it's common to result in split housings/cases because the gear drive will try to eat the chunks and push apart until a single broken tooth results in an entire broken housing full of carnage.

• Good Post
Reactions: mo1