Red Tractors break at operator's feet.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #11  
Nothing is discarded in those place!! EVERYTHING is fixed multiple times. I am sure the people doing it have LOTS more skill than they do resources (tools, shops, parts, etc.). Have you ever seen the videos of guys rebuilding a motor off of a huge truck sitting on the side of the road? Crazy!
I’ve been to most of those places. Some folks have amazing skills, some do not. All of them fix stuff in amazing ways.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #12  
I’ve been to most of those places. Some folks have amazing skills, some do not. All of them fix stuff in amazing ways.
Well said sir!! VERY TRUE!

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #13  
Mahindra is made by many manufacturers, so it can be hard to say they make decent stuff. I think of them like Whirlpool appliances. A manufacturer gets the low bid and later another beats them out. Hard to know if you bought a decent one or not.
Mahindra tractors started in 1947 in India and they contracted with International Harvester at that time.
Of the 11 tractor types Mahindra makes for the U.S market, these tractors are made in 3 places: South Korea, India and Japan. Tym, Mitsubishi and Mahindra of India produce USA tractors. Unless you are considering "3" places as many, your inference of a "myriad" of manufacturers going to lowest bidder is inaccurate. Nor is it difficult to say they make decent stuff. Mahindra tractors are assembled in 5 different states in America.
Mahindra also has purchased a China manufacture to exploit the Chinese market.
The only statement you have made that I can partly agree with is " hard to know you bought a decent one or not" as this statement can apply to any tractor of any brand.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #14  
Mahindra tractors started in 1947 in India and they contracted with International Harvester at that time.
Of the 11 tractor types Mahindra makes for the U.S market, these tractors are made in 3 places: South Korea, India and Japan. Tym, Mitsubishi and Mahindra of India produce USA tractors. Unless you are considering "3" places as many, your inference of a "myriad" of manufacturers going to lowest bidder is inaccurate. Nor is it difficult to say they make decent stuff. Mahindra tractors are assembled in 5 different states in America.
Mahindra also has purchased a China manufacture to exploit the Chinese market.
The only statement you have made that I can partly agree with is " hard to know you bought a decent one or not" as this statement can apply to any tractor of any brand.
Fair enough. To me, in a market (CUT) where there are really only a few OEMs, using multiple is many, but perhaps I could have chosen another term.

I don't have an opinion about Mahindra as a tractor brand. I never considered them because my wife vetoed them (co-workers warned her off and I have learned to pick my battles). My only point is that with any brand it can be tough to just say they are 'good' or 'bad' when the machines have little in common other than a nameplate and distribution network.

If facts are important, I will have you note that while the company started in 1947, they didn't get into the tractor business until 1963 and didn't produce their own until 1977.

Mahindra has also used Daedong in the past as well. So, if the info I found is correct, IH, Daedong, Mitsubishi, TYM and Mahindra have all produced for that nameplate. Similar situations exist with Case, NH, JD, etc. (Especially if you just focus on CUT).

I sincerely apologize if it came across that I was disparaging Mahindra.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #15  
Fair enough. To me, in a market (CUT) where there are really only a few OEMs, using multiple is many, but perhaps I could have chosen another term.

I don't have an opinion about Mahindra as a tractor brand. I never considered them because my wife vetoed them (co-workers warned her off and I have learned to pick my battles). My only point is that with any brand it can be tough to just say they are 'good' or 'bad' when the machines have little in common other than a nameplate and distribution network.

If facts are important, I will have you note that while the company started in 1947, they didn't get into the tractor business until 1963 and didn't produce their own until 1977.

Mahindra has also used Daedong in the past as well. So, if the info I found is correct, IH, Daedong, Mitsubishi, TYM and Mahindra have all produced for that nameplate. Similar situations exist with Case, NH, JD, etc. (Especially if you just focus on CUT).

I sincerely apologize if it came across that I was disparaging Mahindra.
It is of no concern to me as to your intentions. I am simply seeking accuracy so as to not give false impression that you may have inferred to anyone considering the brand.
It is not difficult to drill down into the line or manufacturer of a particular tractor suite. Most cuts originate from elsewhere beyond our borders.
I did not include "engine usage " as these deviations are evident across many brands.

You are not entirely accurate in your assertion of "not being in the tractor business" nor when they started their own branded tractors.
I did say in 1947 Mahindra contracted with International Harvester to produce a line of tractors
These were made in India under Mahindra/Mahindra. They were in the tractor business at that point and continued until 1963 where they began to make their own name plate tractors with the B-275.
They have generated this "old style" look for over 50 years. Today, one of the companies they use (Mitsubishi) also made the Japanese Zero fighter of WWII.

As far as "co-workers warned her off", I believe these ppl do a disservice to both of you and speak from possible platforms of ignorance.
I work a Mahindra dealership who has been in business since 1976. Do I think they make the "best " tractors? No I do not. They make a completely serviceable tractor if you are looking at a price point.
Their Mitsubishi products are exemplary. Their Tym products are some of the most comfortable. Their Indian products are rough around the edges but a tough, basic tractor.

Last edited:
   / Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #16  
It is of no concern to me as to your intentions. I am simply seeking accuracy so as to not give false impression that you may have inferred to anyone considering the brand.
It is not difficult to drill down into the line or manufacturer of a particular tractor suite. Most cuts originate from elsewhere beyond our borders.
I did not include "engine usage " as these deviations are evident across many brands.

You are not entirely accurate in your assertion of "not being in the tractor business" nor when they started their own branded tractors.
I did say in 1947 Mahindra contracted with International Harvester to produce a line of tractors
These were made in India under Mahindra/Mahindra. They were in the tractor business at that point and continued until 1963 where they began to make their own name plate tractors with the B-275.
They have generated this "old style" look for over 50 years. Today, one of the companies they use (Mitsubishi) also made the Japanese Zero fighter of WWII.

Kubota did not make tractors when they started their company in 1890.
They also made vending machines into the early 60's just before they came to the states.

Many of these companies started doing something else before they made tractors but they were very experienced with heavy and light castings prior.

I found multiple sources like this that show the joint venture with IH began in 1963.

Mahindra's own website dates it at 1961.

It was not until 1977 that they merged with International Tractor of India to begin producing their own tractors. Before that, Mahindra made other things, most notably Jeeps. Again, not good or bad. Many of the brands we know today started out doing something else.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #17  

I found multiple sources like this that show the joint venture with IH began in 1963.

Mahindra's own website dates it at 1961.

It was not until 1977 that they merged with International Tractor of India to begin producing their own tractors. Before that, Mahindra made other things, most notably Jeeps. Again, not good or bad. Many of the brands we know today started out doing something else.
I am going by literature at the dealership written by Mahindra.
Also, you responded while I was editing so you may want to go back to my post for current accuracy.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #18  
From a personal point of view, I'd never consider buying one new or used. Something about an Indian branded tractor turns me completely off. Could be some of the raunchy YT vids I've seen in the past. Unwashed masses, living in squalor.

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #19  
I am going by literature at the dealership written by Mahindra.
Also, you responded while I was editing so you may want to go back to my post for current accuracy.
Interestingly, your reply about her co-workers warning her off gets to my original point. I am seriously considering TYM. I have no way of knowing if her co-workers' warnings were due to experience with a Mahindra that was a TYM or a Mahindra that was something else. It could be that the local Mahindra dealers were bad. At the end of the day, there is nothing that can make me go down that road to argue with my wife. She mostly stays out of this process, but she played a veto and that is that. I stay out of her business, but retain veto power as well. The system has worked well for us in out 30+ years of marriage.

As you have pointed out, this is not a problem that is unique to Mahindra. In the specific world of CUTs, I see OEMs as being TYM, Branson/Kukje, Kioti/Daedong, LS, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Massey and Yanmar. Case (LS), NH (LS), Bobcat (Kioti), RK (TYM), Deere (Yanmar) are all to varying degrees just rebranded versions of OEMs. I have heard/seen various things about Zetor so I am not sure if they make their own CUT or if it is also a TYM. It seems the only oddity (may be with Deere, too) is Mahindra sells both Mitsubishi and TYM models in the U.S. At least with CUTs it seems that most of the others either sell their own or use one OEM for rebranding. As far as I can tell (may be 100% off here) the only Mitsubishi tractors sold now in the U.S. are branded Mahindra? Mitsubishi is another brand I did not consider as no dealers showed up anywhere near me (ditto Yanmar).

/ Red Tractors break at operator's feet. #20  
As far as I can tell (may be 100% off here) the only Mitsubishi tractors sold now in the U.S. are branded Mahindra? Mitsubishi is another brand I did not consider as no dealers showed up anywhere near me (ditto Yanmar).
I asked the same question at the dealership a couple months ago and I was told there is one company selling Mitsu's. I did not know enough to counter the assertion and to this day i still don't know enough.
I do know that upwards of 2006, Farmtrac sold a Mitsu tractor under the Farmtrac label. Satoh was the other Mitsu tractor once sold here.
Mahindra as a corp, does not sell Tym. Tym has its own array of dealerships. I do not know if it is even allowed that a Mahindra dealership being able to sell Tym tractors on the same lot since Mahindra uses them to brand a line. I know of one Mahindra dealership that sold Kioti as well. That dealership eventually lost the Mahindra line for reasons beyond me.

It may very well be that Mitsu is exclusive to the Mahindra name presently.

What I have learned over the years doing this stuff is that there are many good tractor brands. There are two things to match: 1. how you use the tractor and 2. Substantiality of the dealership.
For instance, I log with my tractors. I used to own JD when they had their 50 series tractors. These were made by Yanmar and some of the finest tractors they ever put their name to.
When I discovered that JD had switched to plastic fenders, hood and floor boards, I shied away. When I further discovered that their gear cases were made of aluminum, that sealed the deal for me not to be involved with them.
Now for the average guy using a tractor, their 3033E or 3038E may be all the tractor one needs. Bringing a tractor into the woods is about as fast a method to beat up any tractor. The woods beat up logging skidders. Their present line of tractors i did not trust to stay together being made the way JD chose. Plus these cheapened tractors came with elevated pricing strategies.
With Kubota, it was about their trundle type foot control. I suppose anyone can get used to anything but I did not like this control method plus their lower line L series had the aggravating habit of placing its tie rods directly in front of the axle. That would have been tie rod pretzel time for me.

I believe you get the drift of choosing tractor to need. Buy anything whose proven dealership is close to you after that and I do mean "proven" meaning they are part of the landscape for many years.
Good luck in your endeavor.

Last edited: