Removing the Chains of Bondage...

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #91  
How many idiots can't slow down when the visibility gets poor and traction is limited.
I agree. There is no excuse for driving too fast on slick roads.

This wreck happened on I-81, not far from here. When this squall passed over, it went from a sunny day to a complete whiteout almost instantly. The drivers they interviewed at the scene said the road was clear and dry. They never saw it coming.

It could have been much worse and they're lucky only 3 were killed with 24 injured. It's now 24 hours since the wreck happened and I-81 north is still closed.

Still, many drive too fast and tailgate which can lead to a wreck like this under any conditions.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #92  
I tempted fate when I took the chains off two weeks ago. All went well until I also took off the plow & spreader. Two days later, we got 8" of heavy wet snow. Go figure.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #93  
I took my snow tires off this past Friday and took my chains off the tractor Sunday afternoon, Monday night we got 7" of heavy wet snow.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #94  
I was a bit concerned Tuesday with having my chains of the Branson and snow tires off the vehicles.
But my wife stayed home from work so none of the vehicles had to move and the power never went out for us so the IH didn't even need to start.
She does still have the chains on so if needed I could have got around.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #95  
Our mud was starting to dry out few days ago but it snowed and thankfully our mud is nice and sticky again

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #97  
Forgive my ignorance, it is my first year in the country. This mud season you guys reference, this is a yearly thing? I am currently dealing with my own mud and its got me wondering if I need chains now. I figured the mud was this bad because we had a rougher winter and now it won't stop raining at least a little every day. Sun? Whats that? I think this is just the earth giving me one last jab for moving in December.

Also I know my driveway is a complete **** show. I just moved in here and im waiting for my garage to be built before I start learning how to redo it with a tractor.

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 91
   / Removing the Chains of Bondage... #98  
Forgive my ignorance, it is my first year in the country. This mud season you guys reference, this is a yearly thing? I am currently dealing with my own mud and its got me wondering if I need chains now. I figured the mud was this bad because we had a rougher winter and now it won't stop raining at least a little every day. Sun? Whats that? I think this is just the earth giving me one last jab for moving in December.

Also I know my driveway is a complete **** show. I just moved in here and im waiting for my garage to be built before I start learning how to redo it with a tractor.
Welcome to the forum!

Unless you pull heavy loads, have steep slopes or deep mud, chains aren't necessary on most 4WD tractors. Using R1 ag type tires is usually enough, It's a different story in winter though.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #99  
Can't speak for Minnesota, but given that you're more or less the same latitude as northern New England, I would say that yes, mud season is an annual thing. Spring comes, the top couple inches of the soil thaw, but it's still frozen underneath so there's no way for it to drain, hence mud. Some types of soil are worse than others.

Been an unusually gray, wet spring here too.

/ Removing the Chains of Bondage... #100  
Son and family were building snow bunnies Easter morning and were playing frisbee in tee shirts by the afternoon on the dry grass. Ah spring time in western NY State.