ssqa snow plow build under way

/ ssqa snow plow build under way
Maybe do an experiment before you decide. Go out in the drive and put your bucket in float and push down the drive way. Your loader arms maybe heavier than you think. Also makes steering hard.

gg

Gordon, bucket with a snow edge is what I was using before.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #12  
Guys, I hear ya there, I was debating that. But I'm reasoning just putting the loader in float is pretty much how this plow worked on the garden tractor, it did fine there. On the gt, you lowered it down, and it just ran over the driveway under it's own weight. It would be a little more weight pressing down on it from the loader arms, though.

You can NOT compare the plow on the garden tractor to having it mounted solid on a FEL. On the GT, it mounted low and the force was straight back while on the FEL, the pivot for the loader is way high. You WILL feel the difference. I have used all sorts of home-made designs and if I were you, I would float the plow, not the FEL.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #13  
Gordon, bucket with a snow edge is what I was using before.

Well with that light set-up I think you will probably be OK w/o a pivot and float chains?? With the asphalt driveway if your plow cutting edge doesn't dig in and if your plow is rugged enough to take the weight of the loader arms and snow build up from what I think I saw in your video it shouldn't be much much different operation wise from what you have now. The plow cutting edge won't run as slick as the edge you have on the bucket though. If your plow angles make sure you make it so the plow A-frame runs parallel to the driveway surface so that as you angle the plow the cutting edge will stay level.

gg

Well with that light set-up I think you will probably be OK w/o a pivot and float chains?? With the asphalt driveway if your plow cutting edge doesn't dig in and if your plow is rugged enough to take the weight of the loader arms and snow build up from what I think I saw in your video it shouldn't be much much different operation wise from what you have now. The plow cutting edge won't run as slick as the edge you have on the bucket though. If your plow angles make sure you make it so the plow A-frame runs parallel to the driveway surface so that as you angle the plow the cutting edge will stay level.

gg

Yeh, that's what I'm thinking, GG. The debate I'm having now is whether to weld the plow as is onto the ssqi plate, or cut it down somewhat so that it's not sticking forward as much. I could shorten it this much while still being able to angle it:

PXL_20201006_210534409.jpg

You can NOT compare the plow on the garden tractor to having it mounted solid on a FEL. On the GT, it mounted low and the force was straight back while on the FEL, the pivot for the loader is way high. You WILL feel the difference. I have used all sorts of home-made designs and if I were you, I would float the plow, not the FEL.

I could always rebuilt it later if this don't work out, all part of the fun. :)

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #16  
I could always rebuilt it later if this don't work out, all part of the fun. :)
I think you will be. Tractor that size will bend that plow frame and blade into a pretzel without even trying hard. I'd find yourself an old plow from a pickup.

Ok, if/when the pretzel happens, then we'll talk. In the meantime, I'm gonna use what I have.

What I could use advice on now is to whether or not to cut the plow down, (ie, post #14).

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #18  
   / ssqa snow plow build under way #19  
Ok, if/when the pretzel happens, then we'll talk. In the meantime, I'm gonna use what I have.

What I could use advice on now is to whether or not to cut the plow down, (ie, post #14).

What I told a new neighbor that plows his driveway with an UTV and snowplow - "Slow is Fast" when plowing because it does much less damage...

If you leave the plow blade the original length, I'd reinforce it with some diagonal tube steel.

And maybe using some square tubing plus adding an additional thicker plate to the SSQA surface where the plow attaches.

You already been thinking of different solutions I'm sure...

KC

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #20  

Just trying to save you some time. ;) Sucks having a bent plow in the middle of a snowstorm. I'd cut it down as far as you can, for the reasons several others have mentioned.