ssqa snow plow build under way

/ ssqa snow plow build under way
I'd shorten it. As mentioned, the farther out in front the blade is mounted - the more likely it will act like a rudder when it's angled. Here's a thread you might find interesting:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/408923-setback-underslung-ssqa-snow-plow.html

Yup, I've been on that thread. Gordon didn't mess around, he build a real plow as opposed to my bs lol. But I think I'll be fine.

I'm at it now, btw. I shortened it down and welded some of it....but whoops, I did a crappy job, so now I gotta cut it apart and redo it. **** retentiveness in action.

What I told a new neighbor that plows his driveway with an UTV and snowplow - "Slow is Fast" when plowing because it does much less damage...

If you leave the plow blade the original length, I'd reinforce it with some diagonal tube steel.

And maybe using some square tubing plus adding an additional thicker plate to the SSQA surface where the plow attaches.

You already been thinking of different solutions I'm sure...

KC

I'm using angle iron, I welded [and have to redo] the plow to that, and then I'm gonna weld the angle iron to the the ssqi plate, that's how it will attach. After that, I'll weld in some supports, but haven't decided if that will also be angle iron or just reuse the original supports that where on the plow, which I cut off when I shortened it.

Just trying to save you some time. ;) Sucks having a bent plow in the middle of a snowstorm. I'd cut it down as far as you can, for the reasons several others have mentioned.

I appreciate you for that, thanks. :)

Well, those welds look like caaarap! But, I think she'll move some snow.

PXL_20201023_001319884.jpg PXL_20201023_001611813.jpg PXL_20201023_001708176.jpg

Now on to paint and then attach the plow blade, and we're ready for winter.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #25  
This is my setup, my plow has a wheel kit installed on it from the manufacturer. It also has a Kevlar rubber lip kit on the cutting edge. It’s has been on there for ten years now and it still doesn’t need to be flipped over and use the other side edge. I converted it over this year for my new tractor. The wheels roll and I can use the draft angle to put more or less pressure on the cutting edge. I have a paved 350 foot driveway with a 50 x 50 apron to the garage. It sticks out a bit so when I angle it the wheels do not hit the ssqa plate.
With your setup you are going to have a lot of weight on that blade if you use float. Ssqa plate weighs like 100 lbs by itself and that is not counting probably 300 pound loader arms. You will need to get some of the weight off your cutting edge or you will wear it out in no time. That garden tractor did not put that much weight on the blade so it’s float position would not wear that edge for a long time. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

DA647FDD-5363-49B7-B7DF-08A8C3F4AB20.jpeg

Attachments

• 4133CB2D-C49F-403F-9C9B-C44304D84F41.jpeg
    4133CB2D-C49F-403F-9C9B-C44304D84F41.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
PXL_20201023_190426940.jpg

This is my setup, my plow has a wheel kit installed on it from the manufacturer. It also has a Kevlar rubber lip kit on the cutting edge. It’s has been on there for ten years now and it still doesn’t need to be flipped over and use the other side edge. I converted it over this year for my new tractor. The wheels roll and I can use the draft angle to put more or less pressure on the cutting edge. I have a paved 350 foot driveway with a 50 x 50 apron to the garage. It sticks out a bit so when I angle it the wheels do not hit the ssqa plate.
With your setup you are going to have a lot of weight on that blade if you use float. Ssqa plate weighs like 100 lbs by itself and that is not counting probably 300 pound loader arms. You will need to get some of the weight off your cutting edge or you will wear it out in no time. That garden tractor did not put that much weight on the blade so it’s float position would not wear that edge for a long time. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

View attachment 674132

Nice setup you got there!

Yeh, I was thinking about the weight of the arms vs how the plow worked on the garden tractor. I got a few options there. The driveway is fairly flat/level, I could just NOT float the loader arms.

Another option is, the plow came with skid shoes which I don't use. I could attach them, and either mount wheels on them, or line them with pieces of delrin.

3rd option is just to install a thicker piece of plastic as the scraper when what I have on the plow now wears down. The snow edge I used with the bucket is just that, had the weight of the loader arms pressing down on it, as well as the weight of the bucket, and it's been fine. As we say in the old country, we'll see as we live with it.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #28  
I think the OP should triangulate his plow mount to give it strength from flexing. Bolting 2 straps between the top of the welded angle iron to those 2 tabs with the holes on the plow frame would help quite a bit.

I think the OP should triangulate his plow mount to give it strength from flexing. Bolting 2 straps between the top of the welded angle iron to those 2 tabs with the holes on the plow frame would help quite a bit.

No, those 2 tabs with holes you're referring to are on the plow itself, which pivots. There's little room there to put in vertical supports, that's why used the 2 pieces of angle iron going up like that.

Other than getting a longer brake cable so I could pivot the plow from the seat, this project is done for now...until it breaks during use lol. But hey, that's why I have a welder. ;)

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #30  
I foresee a pretzel in your future. With no trip system and fairly small mounting, be ready for a hiccup. In the meantime, get some more hood time with the welder.