stand up or slide in ramps

/ stand up or slide in ramps #22  
I only haul a tractor or excavator on my 20' flat w/ 4' dovetail trailer and I use it daily and unload sometimes several times a day. I have stand up ramps w/ chain and would hate to have anything else. Slide in ramps may be nice if it was used for other things but it is not and with 24' hauling lumber once in a blue moon is no problem.
John

/ stand up or slide in ramps #23  
I despise slide in ramps. My buddies trailer has them and i never fail to catch a finger in the pocket trying to get them out. I have spring assissted standup/lay flat ramps and I would never dream of loading a 12klb piece of equipment on slide in ramps. Never had to monkey with having to put a jackstand down and the ramps actually help to keep the hay on the trailer. I have even hauled 40ft drill pipe and the ramps worked in my favor while loading to keep the pipe in the center. IF you are buying the trailer specifically for hauling equipment, you cant go wrong with stand up ramps. If the noise aggravates you that much, get a ratchet strap and cinch them down. If your worried about air resistance, get the ones that lay flat.

My other opinion is if your main reason for getting slide in ramps is that the stuff you haul is too long for the trailer, you didn't buy a big enough trailer in the first place. I know you gotta make things work with what you have though.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #24  
Trailers are like tractors, no one trailer is perfect for every application. Heavy equipment needs heavy ramps that really need to be fold up. Car trailers will sooner or later be hauling a pick-up that could be longer than the trailer and prevent ramps from being folded up. A 7 ton trailer has the ability to haul some pretty heavy equipment so slide in ramps would be heavy if built to handle the same weight the trailer can. Also equipment that weights 5 tons or more will need to have a leg that sticks down or you'll have to resort to doing what DP does with a jack stand. But 18' trailer is not that long. A full sized crew cab PU or a Kubota GL with a brush hog will easily hang over the back.

I have removed the fold up ramps from my trailer. They are heavy but because of how the double hinge works once they are opened up they are self supporting. All I need to do is slide a 1 1/2" steel rod out. If I was going with fold up ramps the double hing set up works great. Since it's only 16' (bought it used for real cheap) dovetail having the ramps fold onto the dovetail makes it pretty easy to make it a full 16'. But being only 16' I've run into way too many times where the ramps couldn't be folded up because of what was on the deck.

/ stand up or slide in ramps
My concern with a fender style dovetail trailer slide in ramps would be close enough to the ground to drag occasionally possibly damaging them or there holders, where the standup ramps would be up out of the way.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #26  
My 3 axle had slide in ramps and the 1st time I loaded my dozer it destroyed them. So I built a set of fold ups and loved them. My current 2 axle had slide in and when I have my 22' built it will have the Equipment dove #D08 no jackstand or blocks needed. Fold flat to the bed and can be stood up for room. I think this will be the best of all the options. CJ

/ stand up or slide in ramps #27  
I agree with BCP: "First choice: Tilt bed

I found the perfect trailer for me, 4' pop-up dove tail.

For hauling square hay bales, ramps make a back stop.
View attachment 307237

For round bales, leave the deck down and ramps hold the last one or two in place.
View attachment 307238

For equipment, ramps slide in to match tread width, and support the rear.
View attachment 307240View attachment 307242

that looks like the perfect trailer for me too! what brand is it? standard or optional set up?

/ stand up or slide in ramps #28  
that looks like the perfect trailer for me too! what brand is it? standard or optional set up?

It is a Delta, made in Northwest Arkansas. Equipment trailers from Delta — Single Wheel Flatbeds

I ordered it in July, 2005. Got a red one because when looking at the local dealers, on a sunny day black was too hot to touch for long, but red just felt warm. 5' Dovetails where too low at the back for my terraced hay field. It is 22' long with the Dovetail. It weighs 5000 pounds, 4000 on the axles. Should have ordered the 8K axles because of the weight of the metal deck. I went across the scales with 12,640 on the deck, 14,200 on the axles, 3440 on the ball, Just 3640 over the 14K GVWR.

Options: 18' long, with a reciever hitch, LED lights, metal deck, Dovetail OPTION 1: Four-Foot Lift-Up Dovetail, 7K Torflex axles, spare tire and wheel.

The ramps are easy to remove if not needed for a certain load.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #29  
I kind of fond of my 40' with slide ramps. Slide ramps are sort of a pain n the butt, but their outta the way when not needed. Only thing I'd like now is a 45' with that pop up dovetail. That looks super nice.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #30  
Went through same situation a couple years ago. Wound up with a 22' 12K bumper pull with 5' stand up ramps. They are great for all equipment loading except when the length comes in to play. Tractor, FEL and bush hog have the tail wheel hanging off the back and the load further forward than it needs to be. Truthfully needed 2'-4' more trailer, but felt that was getting too long. Probably also should have stepped up to the 14K axles, but doubt it will ever be an issue for what I do. Built some sides for trailer during the winter and used for hay ride. I took the ramps off for the hay ride by removing two bolts and sliding out metal support bar for ramps. Have considered removing ramps after loading longer loads to allow load to be shifted further back on trailer. All in all, it does what I need it to.