Starlink

/ Starlink #1,201  
I just saw that ViaSat lost their injunction against the FCC and Starlink to immediately halt satellite launches. They are still continuing with their suit to halt satellite launches, but the trial won't come before the courts until October at the earliest and I am hoping Starlink will be out of beta by then.

/ Starlink #1,203  
"Want" is the key word. He realizes he "has" to be even though he doesn't want to be. HUGE but subtle difference.

/ Starlink #1,204  
Is no one getting dishy lately, have not seen any new posts about receiving their dishy and how it is performing.

/ Starlink #1,205  
Is no one getting dishy lately, have not seen any new posts about receiving their dishy
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm on the waiting list in two locations-- no activity at all.

/ Starlink #1,206  
I have read of some folks in Michigan getting their dishy's. I have also read some speculation that the chip shortage is hampering production. There is also some speculation of production switching over to a new smaller dishy. The first shell will be filled out before the end of the month and more speculation that once that happens more dishy's will be sent out when that happens.

/ Starlink #1,207  
We were on the beta test list for about a year before being selected.

Installed April 2021. Have a heavy stainless steel top on top of my masonry chimney to clamp the base on. View to north clear but some tree tops low north east and north west. When I had signal it was great. Would lose signal at first every 10-15 minutes briefly. This improved somewhat over the first few weeks. Sometimes go for hours before losing signal. Often messages they were having technical trouble sometimes telling me to check for obstruction. Tried contacting several times on how to tell the difference between problems on their end or my install. Could see the dish move at first then stay at a steep angle. Before the first month service payment due contacted to terminate and return. Got a phone call almost immediately as to why? Explaining frequent loss of signal problems. Takes briefly about my install. They were real time looking at my house and could see the dish. Explaining it was on top of the chimney, the highest point, the potential obstructions were few. Told me they were going to launch 100 more satellites soon and that could help. Decided to return. Vague on return reimbursement because of condition of equipment. Boxed up everything and sent back. They asked to allow two weeks to get the equipment back and evaluate before refunding. Waited month and contacted them as to status. 100% refund that day.

When the tech improves I will try again.

/ Starlink #1,208  
Got a phone call almost immediately .... They were real time looking at my house and could see the dish.
Just curious -- how did they (or anyone) have a "real time" view of your property?

/ Starlink #1,209  
I saw a picture of the contractor roofing our house on Google earth a few years ago. Could almost read writing on the t-shirt he was wearing.

/ Starlink #1,210  
Just curious -- how did they (or anyone) have a "real time" view of your property?
The dish sends back statistics, including obstructions. If you think about it, not receiving a signal when you should is like an inverse sonar/radar, which generates the obstruction map. If the dish isn't where it is supposed to be, the obstruction patterns and the GPS location will reflect that.

So not so much a real time view of the whole property as a real time feedback on what the dish is experiencing.

BTW: Starlink mentioned that they added 20,000 customers in July, so they are still ramping up. Just not to everyone just yet.:cry:

All the best,

Peter