Starlink

/ Starlink #1,681  
First, most of the things said on this thread are technically way above my head. I am not a techy in the least bit. That makes it hard to talk intelligently to most of you.

That being said, We live out in the sticks, but we have a cell tower on our property 750 feet from our house. We currently use a local company to get internet via microwave signal, but it is too slow to reliably stream video. So we depend on Dish for TV service. Our internet and TV service cost is well over $200/mo. Starlink is not going to be available anytime soon.

The tower has 5 sets of antennas for 5 different companies including TMobile, AT&T and Verizon. We currently have Verizon cell phones with 5 bars. TMobile just installed all new equipment on the tower one of their guys told me was for 5g service. Is there anyway we can get an affordable internet service from that tower that is fast enough to use Fubu or the like for TV and ditch our microwave internet?

Lucky you!

I would agree with @bdhsfz6; start with Verizon, and ask for 5G home internet to see if they will offer it to you. If not the 4G should be fine. Check out https://calyxinstitute.org/ as well as a price comparison.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,682  
First, most of the things said on this thread are technically way above my head. I am not a techy in the least bit. That makes it hard to talk intelligently to most of you.

That being said, We live out in the sticks, but we have a cell tower on our property 750 feet from our house. We currently use a local company to get internet via microwave signal, but it is too slow to reliably stream video. So we depend on Dish for TV service. Our internet and TV service cost is well over $200/mo. Starlink is not going to be available anytime soon.

The tower has 5 sets of antennas for 5 different companies including TMobile, AT&T and Verizon. We currently have Verizon cell phones with 5 bars. TMobile just installed all new equipment on the tower one of their guys told me was for 5g service. Is there anyway we can get an affordable internet service from that tower that is fast enough to use Fubu or the like for TV and ditch our microwave internet?
T mobile has a home internet plan for $50 a month no caps. However you have to see if your address qualifies. Also word is if the web says your address does not qualify go into an actual store. They can often "make it work" and get you signed up. I need to do that next to see if I can get their service.

/ Starlink #1,683  
Little Bill, we have excellent cell service anywhere we go on our property.
I checked out the Verizon LTE site, They say our address does not have service available (I should mention our address shows up at the wrong place by a couple miles on google maps).
I went to T-Mobile's Site. It may as well be written in Chinese. I don't have a clue what they are offering or what is available, or what to ask for or how to even find out.
I also went to that Calyx site that you mentioned, Ponytug, I saw a lot of stuff there (including "This domain is for sale"), but nothing about internet service.

/ Starlink #1,685  
My son just changed from crickett to reliable-internet.com for no data caps.
He sent me his speeds tonight. Using AT&T tower.

IMG_4539.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 55
   / Starlink #1,686  
   / Starlink #1,687  
It looks like Calyx Institute will provide VPN service for $50/month, but you stiil would need to get data from a cell provider.
Their website isn't the most obvious, I agree. You need to click through to the internet membership page. They have a historic right to some unlimited internet data plans through an equal access program that has been grandfathered along.

They have several offerings, one of which is that when you become a member, they send you a hotspot with unlimited data for $400-500/yr https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet
For @Cougsfan, the highest level of membership is a 4G/5G hotspot that in a prime location, e.g. adjacent to a 5G cell tower, should give @Cougsfan pretty darn high speed internet access.

They also offer an operating system for (some?) android phones that is purportedly more secure.

Caveat: I researched this heavily for us, but haven't used it as the upfront cost to us to build a tower tall enough to get cell signal, run power and fiber up the hill and through the woods to that tower, seemed too high for a "short term" use. However, that was when I was thinking that we would get Starlink in 2021. It may be time to have another rethink about that, if I find reasonable T-Mobile 5G signal up there.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,689  
From the article:

"But, while SpaceX has launched about 1,700 Starlink satellites to orbit so far, Musk said the first version of the satellite “is financially weak.” The company has been steadily growing Starlink’s user base, with about 140,000 users paying for service at $99 a month.

Earlier this year SpaceX outlined improvements for the second version of the satellite, with Musk saying in his email that “V2 is strong” but can only be launched effectively by its Starship rockets."

/ Starlink #1,690  
From the article:

"But, while SpaceX has launched about 1,700 Starlink satellites to orbit so far, Musk said the first version of the satellite “is financially weak.” The company has been steadily growing Starlink’s user base, with about 140,000 users paying for service at $99 a month.

Earlier this year SpaceX outlined improvements for the second version of the satellite, with Musk saying in his email that “V2 is strong” but can only be launched effectively by its Starship rockets."
Yay more spacejunk!