Starter solenoid

/ Starter solenoid #11  
A solenoid is just a high current switch. Sometimes will click if they start to get sticky but generally work or don't. A coil produces a magnetic field which forces them to bridge contacts to complete the circuit that engages the starter. The old ones, you could take them apart and look at them, clean the contacts and lube them.

/ Starter solenoid #12  
A starter draw test on the tractor is needed. Find an old mechanic. He may have an old style, analog tester to hold up against the starter cable while you crank. I still have my testers. One for charging systems, the other for starter draw. Old technology still works. 125-35 amps is good. If the draw is high, the cause may be the starter bushings are worn. Cheap fix if you are mechanically inclined. Newer permanent magnet starters probably draw less, haven't checked.

/ Starter solenoid #13  
My ford 1910 like many old tractors turns over rather slowly when cranking. So I was wondering if I replaced the solenoid if it would make it any faster or does the whole starter need to be replaced? Also if a solenoid would make a difference what size and type would I need? Thanks for any help.
I would take jumper cables and hook one end to the negative on battery post and other end on starter casing,see if it turns over faster,if it does you have a voltage drop on the ground side,repeat the same for the positive side,also,after trying to crank, pat palm of your hand on top of the battery cable terminals at battery,if hot,you have a bad connection on the battery terminal

/ Starter solenoid #14  
I’ve worked on my friends 1910 quite a lot they do turn over slower than the newer tractors.
No a solenoid is unlikely to help it is just a switch.
You can remove starter & check brushes & bushings. If bushings are worn the armature can rub on field windings like the old fords autos did & slow cranking speed down.
Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic oil will let it crank over easier/faster I use it in all my diesels & can verify that.
As mentioned check battery condition & cables for resistance using s voltage meter to check voltage drop from battery to starter & battery to ground.
There should be minimal voltage drop. Also check cranking voltage at battery.
90cummins

/ Starter solenoid #15  
My ford 1910 like many old tractors turns over rather slowly when cranking. So I was wondering if I replaced the solenoid if it would make it any faster or does the whole starter need to be replaced? Also if a solenoid would make a difference what size and type would I need? Thanks for any help.
it should turn over fast. it's a shibura Diesel, so it has a gear reduction starter on it. I had a Ford 2120 and it also had the gear reduction starter on it,mine did not turn over good at all,after days of research I see someone had replaced the starter with a used one and it was not the correct starter. I purchased the correct starter from Amazon and it worked great.you could also have dry cylinders causing a drag,starting fluid will dry out cylinders sometimes

/ Starter solenoid #16  
I like this battery load tester a lot better than the modern ones. And while I would agree that cables are a good first place to check, I never make assumptions about what I will find as a problem. Every machine has been through different things. Differing levels of experience and expertise of the guys who have worked on the machines are a major factor in likely problems.

View attachment 847876
great carbon pile load tester,and a Sun.

/ Starter solenoid #18  
Yup, they made excellent stuff. I always keep my eye out for any at yard sales and such.
I was a auto electrician for 13 yrs, I rebuilt heavy equipment starters and alternators,the shop had one on the sun carbon pile load testers,looked a lot like that one but was on a stand. after rebuilding the alternators used it to load battery on the alternator tester make sure it was right before delivering the unit.they last forever and the carbon piles are replaceable

/ Starter solenoid #19  
THE SOLENOID does not have anything to do with the RPM of the starter motor. It simply engages the starter gear when energized.

If your starter motor, when new, ran (turning the engine over) faster (more RPM), it is far more likely that you need to rebuild the starter motor than replace the solenoid.

While it could reflect an issue in the engine, I suppose. I've never heard of such a thing - seems like an engine would become more limber and easier to turn over as its mechanical parts 'wore themselves in."
no,same as an engine with worn rings,the more wear the less power and more oil consumption,the bushings don't have to be worn so much the armature drags on the pole shoe's,just worn bushing or brushes and a burnt armature windings will cause it.now a bad or weak connection on the field strap from the solenoid to the starter motor will cause it too.it's gear reducted,it should spin over like a hi performance starter on a hi performance engine

/ Starter solenoid #20  
The solenoid is just an electrically operated switch, so usually, it either operates or doesn't. However, there could be a problem with the contacts inside the solenoid, so it seems to me that the easiest way to identify if the solenoid is the problem by restricting current flow to the starter motor would be to disconnect the power cable (the large wire from the battery to the solenoid) then have somebody activate the solenoid with the key while measuring the resistance between the two large poles on the solenoid. There should be almost zero resistance or else the contacts may be oxidized, pitted, dirty or interfering with current flow in some way, and in that case, the solenoid would probably need to be replaced. Some solenoids also engage the pinion gear to turn over the engine and those may be opened up to check the contact surfaces, on solenoids that do not engage the pinion, the resistance through the contacts could possibly be checked by simply jumping across the two large terminals on the solenoid and if it spins faster than when using the key, there is a problem with the solenoid, if the speed doesn't change one of the other problems listed in comments above is probably at play! Caution, keep in mind that gasoline or LPG engines will need the key on to run - do not turn the key on for this test, on some diesel engines, the key in the off position may not prevent the engine from starting, so if you test by jumping the terminals, BE SURE TO DISENGAGE THE TRANSMISSION SO THAT IF THE ENGINE STARTS NOBODY GETS RUN OVER!

Last edited: