Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #71  
Besides the mowing requirement, you might want to think what implements you will want to operate. For example, box blade for road work, Grapple for brush work, plow or tiller for garden, or pallet forks etc. That may help you decide what size you want to use over the next 30 years. If you look at compacts, might look at Kubota L series. I have about 4 acres and do some clearing and road maintenance (gravel road) and have the L4701. Never regreted having the larger tractor - stronger hydraulics, higher FEL lift and better overall traction. Best Wishes, Larry

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #72  
We’ve had a JD 2027 (26HP) for about 10 years now with @300 hours. Field mower 3 pt for about 3 acres, moving rocks/soil/manure, plowing snow for about 100ft drive. Replaced a smaller JD which cracked it’s transmission case. (Negotiated a subsidized trade in with JD). I do the ’formal lawn’ grass with an 80v walk behind which is great!. The field tires would be too much for the lawn anyway. This machine has been flawless and indispensable for even moving heavy items around the barn, you name it. As a layman, probably shouldn’t be lifting more than the limit of 600 pounds anyway. Just the right size for 5 acres, several horses, some alpacas and vegetable/flower beds. Would love a back hoe but too costly for occasional use. Hire someone for plowing the vegetable garden when needed. Can get away with using the front loader for snow plowing. I’m in rural MA, very uneven terrain, LOTS of rocks, fair bit of snow. We do manage to get stuck occassionally in our wetland, but we have friendly neighbors with more serious tractors To save us from ourselves. Just the right balance between capability and getting oneself into trouble on uneven ground.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #73  
I am looking for recommendations for a sub-compact or compact tractor. Right now my wife and I have a smaller property (1.2 acres). We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway). I am looking to get a front mount blower, front loader, and belly mower for the time being. We are planning a 1.5-2 acre finish cut area at this time. If I need a backhoe I will rent one. Another usage will be at my family cabin for doing some light work moving dirt and moving wood around.

I'd like to stick to a company that I can expect to have a long service life (IE 20-30 year part availability) which has really pointed me toward units like a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680.
I love my L series Kubota. the B series isn't bad, but its barely bigger than a large lawn tractor.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #74  
I am looking for recommendations for a sub-compact or compact tractor. Right now my wife and I have a smaller property (1.2 acres). We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway). I am looking to get a front mount blower, front loader, and belly mower for the time being. We are planning a 1.5-2 acre finish cut area at this time. If I need a backhoe I will rent one. Another usage will be at my family cabin for doing some light work moving dirt and moving wood around.

I'd like to stick to a company that I can expect to have a long service life (IE 20-30 year part availability) which has really pointed me toward units like a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680.
Everything you describe can be done on a subcompact. But once you get on the 15 acres you'll start dreaming up things that a compact or even a utility tractor would be much better for. I'm partial to Massey Ferguson and the GC line is probably the toughest, best spec'd subcompact out there. If I were to purchase with the 15 acre end in mind I'd be looking at at 1800 Series Massey. They offer mid PTO for the mowing and front blower. Give Yanmar a look too. When I was shopping Deere and Kubota were most expensive of the brands. I found an excellent Massey dealer with great service dept that I was more comfortable marrying than Bota or Deere. Your mileage may vary

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #75  

So a 1025r is a very small tractor for the acres you have. I have ten acres and I have a 2009 JD4320. I would look at a 3000 series or a 4000 series and nothing smaller.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #76  

I love having my little tractor on 6 acres, but I would go bigger by 1-2 sizes for 15 acres.
How dense are your trees and how much slope if any?
My neighbor has the next size up Kubota and he really likes that, but uses a ZTR for mowing.

With 15 acres, you may need to do tree cleanup and you might want trails in the future.
I can do those with my tractor and I love the BH for trenching and stumps. Great for planting trees and bushes too.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #77  
So a 1025r is a very small tractor for the acres you have. I have ten acres and I have a 2009 JD4320. I would look at a 3000 series or a 4000 series and nothing smaller.

I maintain about 3 acres. I've also got a 500 ft gravel driveway. Down the lane from me is a paved entrance to these properties that also has to be cleared of snow in winter.

I started looking at subcompact tractors but ultimately decided on a compact. There have been SOOO many times I've been glad that I did. A subcompact simply would not do the jobs I've gotten into. Size, weight, and power all would be sorely lacking for dragging a box blade full of crushed stone, scraping mud off the boat ramp, or moving fallen Ash trees to the pile.

Buy bigger now so you don't have to later!

BTW I LOVE my New Holland. I shopped all the brands. All of them. Could not find anything with the specs, features, and brand support of the New Holland for the same money.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #78  
Stay away from JD if you anywhere around Clarksville, Tenn. I have a 2320 with bucket & backhoe, the equipment is good, even though the dlr won't honor the warranttee, pardon the spelling,. Talked to JD about it, they say it's a dealer problem???? It's fair to say JD does not care for the little guy. I chked out kabota b4 I purchased, wished I had purchased a kabota now. Strongly suggest you check out dealer reputation when you get ready to purchase

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #79  
Back to the OP's needs.
You want a tractor but don't have heavy work plans
You need to mow 1-2 acres.

My B2601 compact tractor is not a heavy tractor. It will do a lot of work however. You can use a belly motor but like many others on here, I don't like them. I don't recall you clarifying whether you'll be mowing around a lot of obstacles. If you are not, a 3 point finishing mower would work well. If you have a lot of obstacles or have to "side-hill" I would get a seperate machine for mowing.
The B2601 is smaller than an L2501. If you have a good dealer they can explain the differences.

I would not buy the BX series. You are looking at your 15 acres as if you are only going to need the tractor for 2 acres. I remain skeptical.
I am retired now but even now that I do not need a tractor every day, I still find plenty of uses for it. You will find that your first choice for the task will always be the tractor.

My previous Kubota was a B2910. They cost as much used now as I paid new in 2004. Your tractor will hold valu better than almost any other purchase.

Oh, and absolutely get the loader. Be cetain befor you buy a box scraper. I have not had any use for on in last 30 years. You were talking grapple but also said you were not going to work in the woods. If in fact you do work in your woods (you will) you will want the ground clearance the sub-compacts do not have.

Good luck on your purchase.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations
Looks like I'll be going down the garden tractor route for now and buying a larger tractor once we have the home finished. At my current home I have a fair amount of mowing around obstacles as well as a hill that I have to mow, likely a Simplicity Prestige or JD 500 series that will handle all mowing requirements as well as hauling my small cart/spreader now.

I would go down the ZTR route but I don't think it'll handle the hill in my front yard that I don't really want to mow with a push mower. My current Husqvarna can mow it if I take the hill straight on and take only mower width passes.