Sub-compact tractor

/ Sub-compact tractor
HI JWE and all,

For years I wanted a Powerking tractor...but it never happened.

Then this year I got bit by the tractor bug good, and the wife agreed that a tractor could be very useful...I mean a real tractor. So first I looked at the BX22. Wanted a backhoe. Another fantasy of mine over the years I guess.

Then I found TBN and read and read and read. And decided that what is often repeated here was probably true: Few trade down, but many trade up, or want to..."

I decided after driving a b7500, that I should get something bigger than the bx22, and focused on the B7500. Then rationalized my way to the B2410. As I was going through this process, the salesman/manager of the dealership quit, and I ended up talking by telephone with the owner of place [who normally resides at his other dealership (blue)], and agreeing on a price. Then I asked off the cuff how much more a b2910 would be [tractor, loader, backhoe, rear mower, toothbar] and it was under $2,000 more.

So I bought the B2910. I have 4 acres to deal with, 2 wooded that I will partially clear. I have done a lot with the tractor so far and do not think it is too big for my needs. Actually, I kind of second guess myself now, as with the rebates that were in place at the time I could have gotten a L3010 for the same price I think. I kind of now wish I had the L3010, just a little more loader there, a little more weight, not that much bigger...

When does this end??? I guess for me right now! The B2910 is certainly all I need.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that initially when I saw a B2910 I said no way I could ever use something THAT big.... Then I bought one and found it perfect for my needs.

And let me second what was said by others above, the loader is so useful. I can't imagine owning a tractor without a loader. Without the backhoe, no problem. Without a loader, NO WAY!

Good luck in your choice. Give serious thought to the next size up...

/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif that picture, by the way!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Sub-compact tractor #32  
JWE:

Just curios, how big is your property?

/ Sub-compact tractor #33  
I understand what you're saying certainly. It's just funny that we all do it. I mean in reality how do we justify the houses we live in. How do we justify the cars we drive, etc. When it comes down to what we really need isn't much. Most of what we have these days is a luxury. I meant the post as being funny how we all try and justify things, LOL. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor #34  
Lot's to chew on from a lot of people. I've got a different perspective than most just for argument... I mean discussion sake. If the distrubution of allowances is at issue you might want to buy a smaller tractor so that you won't be tempted by all of the options that a CUT offers. I can speak from the experience of a new tractor owner (JD 4010 FEL 60" MMM) that all of the options and implements that are available make it difficult to not spend any more money. Smaller might be better. Just playing devils advocate. Whatever your choice I am sure it will be a good one with all of the helpful advice that has been provided. Good Luck!!!

Brent

/ Sub-compact tractor #35  
<font color=blue>Most of what we have these days is a luxury</font color=blue>

I agree. After food, clothing and shelter, everything else is a luxury. With Thanksgiving just last week, its time to remember this.

/ Sub-compact tractor #36  
WME, I would like to echo what Bill has said with my own sad story of TRACTORITIS /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I dreamed of owning some real <font color=green>John Deere green</font color=green>, while mowing my lawn with a riding lawnmower. I turned tractor shopping into a hobby. Eventually, I fell for <font color=orange> Kubota</font color=orange>. They were smaller & less expensive, so obviously the wife liked them better too. A couple of years passed, and some more wear & tear on the riding lawnmower. The wife finally realized that a tractor would be a part of my life. She said that if I were to get a tractor it needs to have a front end loader. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif No more glorified riding lawn mowers for me.

The JD X595 and the Kubota BX2200 & B7500 were on my short list. My wife liked the JD better, since it looked like a riding lawnmower (no offense). Of course the JD dealer wanted full retail plus delivery charges, making a 595 with FEL & MMM over 16K. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif Ahh, now I could play the Kubota card...honey, I can get a Kubota for less money but have more capability. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif We both drove the BX2200, it seemed not so comfortable, the operator space was too small. This was the first sign of tractoritis. We moved up to and drove the B7500. This fit better, it felt more like a real tractor. The salesman stated that the B2410 wasn't much more, and offered more features. We drove that one, and then I asked...how much is a B2710? I had full blown tractoritis. What did the B2910 offer...how much? L3010? Luckily(?), my wife's immune system is stronger than mine. She said the L3010 wouldn't fit in the new shed. But the L3010 felt much more solid than the B2910. I now knew I needed to look elsewhere for the tractoritis high. The JD 4115, no the 4210, NO THE 4310!!! That &^%*& JD dealer and his high prices, but that's O.K., the 4310 probably wouldn't fit in the shed either. Massey Ferguson, the 1235, no the 1240...sweet. None of the local dealers had any in stock, and I can't buy without driving first. New Holland, the TC24...new model with the curved FEL...sexy. But it was parked next to a TC29...much more solid. The TC33D...how much more, let me take that for a spin...hey honey try this one. It's perfect/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Yes, I was overwhelmed by tractoritis, the need to get the next larger tractor model. I have read it over and over in many different threads, guys who kept looking until they bought the largest tractor they could justify or afford, but there's long lasting side effects...you always wish you bought the next larger tractor. It is very sad, but it is only the beginning if you are susceptible to ATTACHMENTITIS. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor
JWE,

The following link, put together and posted by Will, a fellow TBN member, is very helpful with respect to pricing of the Kubota B series stuff:

Click here</font color=blue>

Then click on the dollar sign on the bottom left side of the page that comes up.

I don't remember it being referred to above. If it was...sorry for the duplication!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Sub-compact tractor
<font color=blue>ATTACHMENTITIS</font color=blue>??? What's that???

June: MTD garden tractor

August: Kubota B2910 tractor, loader, backhoe, RFM

November: The above plus tooth bar, box blade, boom pole, rear blade, carry all, sub soiler, pallet forks, misc chains and straps, extra jack stands, tire chains, loaded rear tires, foam filled front tires...

Coming soon? I can only guess...

ATTACHMENTITIS.? What's ATTACHMENTITIS?????????

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif........./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Sub-compact tractor #39  
Bill,

You really need to see a doctor....better yet come see me. Oh yeah, bring the RFM, box-blade, boom pole, carry all, sub soiler, and the jack stands...I think all of those should be compatible with my tractor. Uh, I mean I can help you with your problem. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Sub-compact tractor #40  
Hummmmmmmmm.... I disagree...

Aw shucks--really? Go ahead and disagree, since you own neither I will stick with my opinion which as I stated is my opinion and as always I expect others to not agree /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif . Sure seems like that MF has a boomerang shaped Go-pedal and looks to have copied the reverse flow arrangement complete with a BX like screened intake. Why, unless there is a SIGNIFICANT price differential would anyone buy a MF subcompact built and rebadged for them by Iseki when they can purchase a fairly proven product such as the BX or at least a well thought of name brand like JD (2210) ? Some of you guys will go to any lengths to avoid buying a Kubota or an imported tractor by buying exactly that, an imported tractor and in this case an unproven one from a company that appears to be loosing ground.
Hey, I see a lot of MF big tractors around here, they are real popular it looks like with the real farmers who need massive equipment, I don't see a lot of commonality between them and that litte Iseki with a MF badge on it.

To the original poster, since it looks like you intend to use it for mowing primarily, and since I own both a Kubota BX and a Kubota B2410, I assure you it is a fact, the smaller BX will mow circles around the B2410 and the cut quality is MUCH better. Before you buy something to big for your needs think about what you intend to do with it and what you might wish to do with it in the future. Be realistic, go ahead and get a huge honkin machine but then be prepared to also need to buy yet another machine--smaller--to do what you originaly intended, doing some mowing and yard work. J