Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #41  
I am not sure how long the shaft is and how much you have to cut off but can you put it on the cutoff side of a horizontal bandsaw and still cut it to the length you need? If you can, that would be the easiest.

Ken

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #42  
   / Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
Image.jpgImage 1.jpgImage 2.jpg

Cut the shaft today. Surprisingly very easy with hack saw and new blade. I took my time. It took about 20 minutes. Happy with the way it turned out.

Putting the motor in the tub. A couple of problems to solve. In what order does the motor go back in? I dropped it in, hoping that I aligned the front coupler with the front pump's coupler. I think I have it, but can't see to well to know for sure.

2 problems. 1 the rear motor holes are slightly off with the new engine stands holes. UGH!

2. I forgot to put on the spool or shroud cover that goes over the rear pump coupler. And that brings me to, if I had that shroud bolted to the housing over the shaft, there is no way I can fit the motor into the front pump the way I just did it. Is there an order of what gets hooked up first.
It's like one of those impossible puzzles with one right answer.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #45  
   / Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #46  
Without seeing yours and mine in front of me, I recall the shroud being cut out quit a bit. Don't really remember how its in there....

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #47  
Here's a picture of my variable volume pump on the front of the engine if its any help.
PT425VarVolPump.jpg
469414d1463873213-swapping-robin-out-kohler-today-pt425varvolpump-jpg

And of the PTO/Steering pumps on the back of the engine.
PT425PTOPump.jpg
469415d1463873243-swapping-robin-out-kohler-today-pt425ptopump-jpg

It is pretty much the same set up Moss. When I removed the engine I took out the motor mount bolts (4), Slid the engine a couple inches forward. Unbolted the rear spool that goes over the shaft and rear pump coupler. Dropped the rear pump. I then pulled the motor back to disengage from the front pump. I then could lift the engine. I am trying to reverse the process, but something is not right.

The front pump coupler seems much larger than the one that was on the Subaru. The new one is a big lovejoy aluminum one. On my Robin Subaru there was a small shaft on the front of the pump. There isn't a shaft on the front of the pump. The new coupler has 4 allen bolts that bolt to the flywheel assembly. I have a new engine stand that was made for the Kohler. Only difference from the original stand (robin subaru) it appears to be about 1/2" taller.

I wish the back of the tub was like a tailgate on a pick up, so you could open it up and put the motor and pumps in all as one,

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #49  
I wish the back of the tub was like a tailgate on a pick up, so you could open it up and put the motor and pumps in all as one,
A sawzall to open and a welding torch to close....

I spent 4 years in the Navy at Electric Boat while they built our submarine.

The mentality of a group who are really good at welding is interesting. They think nothing of chopping a 3'x3' access hole through 1"+ thick steel submarine hull to run services (power,pneumatics, ventilation). Need to work on a valve in an inconvenient spot? Cut a 10' section of pipe out and that way you can do the work in comfort at a workbench...

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #50  
I'm just gonna guess that they assemble the whole engine/pump assembly on a bench at PT and then drop it in as a unit. I think that's how I'd remove and install mine if if ever comes to that. I just wonder how they get their itty bitty hands and crooked arms in there to hook up the hoses!