Comparison The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #41  
my observation is that when a person gets the fever to purchase & own a new piece of equip, they will do & say about anything to justify that purchase. & overlook any big financial investment in the transaction.
dealers & bankers love to lighten the wallet of those type consumers

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #42  
Why I went with my Yanmar. Quality built(same eng and trans as JD) 10 year powertrain warranty, very ergonomic, fast smooth loader with 2 function capability, and thousands cheaper than the JD equivalent. Sure the dealership is almost an hr away but no JD dealers closer either as they've been folding left and right here since before covid. Kubota is thriving and so is Kioti for that matter. Even my Yanmar dealer is Kioti and Solis as well which is owned by Yanmar

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #43  
I wanted a 35-40 hp tractor with a loader back in 2006 and I really wanted a JD but after I added the things I wanted I just couldn't justify the price difference, I bought a Farmtrac that was made by LS in South Korea because it came standard with all the things I wanted and at a much cheaper price, I knew when I purchased it I was on my own and probably wasn't getting top service after the sale, but I lucked out and it has never needed to go back to the shop so a good or lucky purchase for me, but if I was counting on making my living with that tractor I would have bought the Deere for parts and support. As of late I wanted to buy a tracked skid steer I priced Deere but was able to buy a Kubota for about 18k cheaper so I went with the Kubota, hopefully the parts and support will be there, time will tell. I still like my Deere tractor and can make a phone call and usually by the next day at the latest if I need parts they will be dropped off at my barn or stuck in my mailbox and that's worth a lot, so again if i was counting on making my living with this skid steer I probably would have had to go with the Deere.

And that’s just it. You buy what suits YOU best and don’t pay attention to the naysayers.
When you buy a tractor, some forget its more than a tractor. It’s parts, service, locations, etc. Lot of guys here don’t need top of the line, top dollar stuff and there’s a few making a living that need it. Theres a few who have enough coin to buy whatever they want. All good.

I’m pushing a lot more chips into the AGCO line and I don’t have a lot of AGCO dealers, but their company philosophy suits me best at this point in my career.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #44  
I've never been "burned" on a large purchase - car, tractor, implement - etc. I have deceived myself in thinking that a smaller implement of quality will do the job I need to do. I have a light weight Land Pride disk harrow - 1048. It's a quality implement - just too light to do any good for me, out here. It's the last Cat 1 implement I own. All the others have been sold and I replaced with Cat 2 implements.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten
I agree completely. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting what you are saying as "JD is the greatest!". Rather you are simply saying JD is the benchmark, the pace runner.

I too started my search at a JD dealer, I was hoping to see a 5075E or at least get a quote. After a few months of shopping and comparing, I ended up with something else. But you're right, I made my first comparisons against the JD model.

on a related note, my goodness I'm surprised JD sells as many tractors as they do. The price point for what you are getting is just so high in some cases (mileage may vary for scut, cut, utility, ag). I guess that just tells you the best ability is availability, and JD certainly has a lot of dealerships.
I was looking at the JD 5055e and got a good quote (I have it somewhere in my folder), but the 'boss' didnt want to loosen up the purse strings. And I got the Kubota, so I know what you mean...

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten
My philosophy is... They are ALL good until they break and then the bellyaching starts. You very seldom see posts in here about machines or implements that are running fine and issue free... :rolleyes:
Well, wear and tear is something you have to expect, tires, belts, hoses, but when the drivetrain locks up, or the electronics shuts off, or the hydraulics stops working with only a few hundred hours, then you know the tractor is not worth what you paid for it... So choose wisely as "Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, 'It might have been.'"

Last edited:
   / The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #47  
Ha! I can relate to that. Sometimes I drive the wife a bit crazy by over-evaluating purchases.
Flip side. I've missed some good deals because I couldn't pull the trigger..... :sneaky:

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #48  
I have often bought cheaper stuff and regretted it but have also often been satisfied. I buy stuff all the time and don’t like it but it’s often nickel and dime stuff. Usually if I don’t feel like I can buy high enough quality I do without and/or wait.

I live in an area with some of the best farm ground in the world. I see a lot of JD equipment on this high dollar land. Lots of other colors to, but I agree, in the ag world JD does set the standard. In the homeowner stuff like most of the people on this forum have I’d say it’s JD and Kubota.
My travels across Illinois is usually on Hiway 136. Sometimes Hiway 36. You definitely have some very high dollar land!!! :cool:

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #49  
I think Massey gets overlooked sometimes when discussing top tractor brands. Their premium tractors are extremely nice machines. I have compared with Kubota and Deere and in my mind just as equal in quality and performance as the Deere and Kubota.

My Uncle has a Massey 1643 and that tractor is nice and has served him well. Lots of room and comfortable to operate.
Massey got heavily involved in the World Market before it was cool to do so. Southwest Asia is full of 30 year old Masseys in the 40-100HP range.

tractor.JPG

kabul city7.JPG