/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #51  
The clutch increases the cost of the implement. My Countryline from Tractor Supply didn't have a clutch. It used a sheer bolt but even it came with a clip in front of the U-joint half. I remember having a hard time getting to it. After the first use and a bag full of bolts, I bought the clutch. It's worth the $100 not to be out in the field replacing sheer bolts all day.

The clutches are available for splined or smooth shaft. I needed smooth so that's what I got. ;)
Around here, any PTO implement will have the splined shaft, either 6 spline or the 21 splines for the 1000 RPM stuff. The PTO shaft that comes with the implement, a brush mower in this case, will come with either the shear bolt yoke (like I showed on post #4) or with the clutch yoke. All part of the PTO shaft, no need for separate stuff.

A replacement gearbox for the brush cutter, here, costs $141 last time I checked.

Considering how overpriced the brush mowers are over there for what they are, I'm pretty sure someone is having an huge profit margin. Wouldn't cost them all that much to simply offer the 6 spline and make life easier for the consumer. Just my two cents as I feel for the guys having to punch the broken shear bolt piece that gets stuck on the input shaft of the mower.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #52  
You are fortunate. We are fighting inflation and supply problems. Sometimes we have to take what's available at a price we want to pay. :cry:

But up until 2020, we could get a gallon of gas for $1.25. Diesel was $1.30.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #53  
You are fortunate. We are fighting inflation and supply problems. Sometimes we have to take what's available at a price we want to pay. :cry:

But up until 2020, we could get a gallon of gas for $1.25. Diesel was $1.30.
You left off a dollar there Tinhack. $2.25 and $2.30 I would believe...

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #54  
That looked like it sounded rough. One of the things I like about my old same 75, I can ease the PTO on. Works great for the brush hog so that it doesn't jerk it around.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #55  
You left off a dollar there Tinhack. $2.25 and $2.30 I would believe...
You're probably right. All I now is I could fill my truck for $40 or LESS. Now, the pump kicks off at $100 and it's not even full. The pump limits the purchase.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #56  
You're probably right. All I now is I could fill my truck for $40 or LESS. Now, the pump kicks off at $100 and it's not even full. The pump limits the purchase.
Your point was still well made. Prices have gone berserk.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #57  
In case anyone takes life for granted when standing near a spinning PTO shaft - here's what can happen when a #8 grade bolt for PTO clutch is no match for PTO engagement at 2000 RPM's (that was my fault - had just turned PTO off and saw I had missed a spot so turned it right back on before before throttling down - clutch had already stopped all RPM's so when it re-engaged it hit HARD). This happened so fast that I didn't even have time to disengage PTO or kill the engine. Scared the living $#!#!#$ out of me and thank GOD I was out of harms way. Before I could even turn off key, shaft had already slung off the RC's gear-box, wildly flinging shrapnel into the abyss, slung around the strap metal holding weight for rear of RC, ripped the welded chain right in half and TWISTED THE ENTIRE STRAP FOR RC UP WITH PTO SHAFT!!! It instantly killed the engine from the shaft seizing due to being twisted up and can only hope no internal damage to engine/powertrain (sounded OK but will be keeping close eye on it). After further examination this morning, it also broke a U-joint and bent the U-join housing on yolk - was only a few revolutions away from slinging my clutch like a cannon-ball. Pics were taken this morning after I had already untwisted the PTO shaft and RC strap from one another - they were wrapped so tight that the best visual description I can come up with is that they were TWISTED AROUND EACH OTHER LIKE A BREAD TIE!!! They were twisted together so tight that I couldn't lower the 3 point down in order to to hook a chain to temporarily lift up the rear of mower long enough to get it back to house - had to un-twist them before I could move this mangled mess to further inspect the damage.

Lesson: Check all PTO u-joints & connections etc REGULARLY before operating. If you EVER suspect anything a-miss going on behind the back tires - ALWAYS disengage PTO. This could happen to anyone running a sheer-bolt style implement in a fraction of a second and if you get in the way of a spinning shaft or the debris flinging off of it while spinning at ANY RPM (In my case - 2000 rpm's = just <540), based on how quick it twisted up the 5/16-3/8? steel strap, it would be nothing for it to kill/severely mangle/dismember someone in its path. Scary stuff. Will always be more careful around PTO after seeing this & hope it helps anyone else that reads this to understand how serious that little scary sticker is about the PTO shaft's ability to cause physical harm/death. The little WARNING!/DANGER! sticker of the stick figure twisted up around PTO shaft is no joke - if you don't believe it, take a look at these pics & imagine that metal strap was your arm!
Reminds me of a safety lesson when I took firefighter training. They ran an unprotected PTO at 540 and took a dummy with a loose shirt, touched the shaft with the shirt and the dummy was wrapped so fast you couldn't see it happen.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #58  
PTO driveline damage with a rotary cutter can be a big headache as shown by this posting. If the damage is internal to the tractor a whole new level of headache is added. A couple of rules I try to remember (and often forget) are:
1. Raise the RC and bump the PTO a few times to get the blade spinning before engaging.
2. Disengage the PTO before throttling down the tractor.

Thanks to the person who created this thread I am reminded I need to check my slip clutch.

/ TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #59  
I've said it before on this site, and I'll repeat it here.

You have to adjust the clutch for the hp of YOUR tractor, not to some spec. in a book! That book doesn't know what YOUR tractors hp is.

SR
So you have a PTO shaft & gearbox rated for 40hp attached to a 100hp tractor. You tightness that clutch up to not slip until 100hp... that's a great way to cause more problems than the OP ran into.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / TRACTOR SLUNG PTO SHAFT!!! - PICS. #60  
So you have a PTO shaft & gearbox rated for 40hp attached to a 100hp tractor. You tightness that clutch up to not slip until 100hp... that's a great way to cause more problems than the OP ran into.
Now you are talking extremes, and no that's not what I would do.

I in fact wouldn't put a tool rated for 40hp on a 100 hp tractor in the first place, and anyone who does, shouldn't be surprised of the outcome.

SR