trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
You have a lot of patience to drive that tiny bar through the big stuff, but understand the limit on what you can carry.
Watching you do the big trails gives me incentive for my tiny trails to get out there and keep them maintained.
Going through a massive spring growth spurt and deep mud slows me down a bit, seems that nothing slows you two down.
Thanks for sharing!
Its how slow? When sharp, like they always should always be, I'd guess these narrow chains are of little difference in cutting speed than X larger ones are.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #342  
ArlyA likes his pole saws☺️ I'm sure they're handy on the trail, but for the bigger stuff, I'd prefer my modded 50cc Echo. To each his own.

We were in feild all day today and the 1st ones to get into this NFS campground called Bob Lake. The roads in still had ice and snow on them but we did get around the trails and cleaned them up. If I can process the photos tonight, I'll post some. We are heading out in the morning with our camper and head south to Lake Sts Katheyrn to complete the trail clearing there. Lots of good food and drink will be in tow with us. 😅

Here is a few pics taken today. What does this path look like to you?
P1060097.jpg

Right away we find blow downs. This is green wood.
P1060102.jpg

A buzz a buzz we go. Didn't really take very long.
P1060103.jpg

Almost done!
P1060107.jpg

P1060110.jpg

This is what the trail is.
P1060100.jpg

Must get to bed!

/ trail clearing technique and tools #345  
Whoever drew that picture of the train should have looked at a real logging train photo instead of a toddler's pull toy.

:D

Bruce

Here is a few more taken yesterday. Not much snow remaining on the trail.
P1060111.jpg
P1060117.jpg

These are cut this width to block atv use.
P1060121.jpg
P1060124.jpg

We left this one for later. (larger saw)
P1060128.jpg

What a pretty trail. We heard the Sand hill cranes but didn't see them.
P1060132.jpg
P1060134.jpg
P1060143.jpg

The end and cleared, other than that big dead fall. We'll be back when strings are needed and then take care of the big felllow.
P1060155.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #347  
Wow! i just ran across this thread! Many of the pages I cannot access, i get a "prohibited" response!?

Anyway, I've been doing bridle trail maintenance and building in southern Ohio for 15 years or so. State parks and forests and on my own place here. I have logged more hours on the bridle trails with 4 wheeler than a horse ;-)

As I'm getting older (75) I'm just limited to keeping my own trails open.

Started out with chainsaws and weedeaters, moved up to a DR mower, then bush hogs and heavier equipment. We had great cooperation from management at a couple of state parks and I had authorization to clear or reroute trails as necessary.

Here is one trail that I rerouted from an old sunken roadbed (which ultimately became a sloppy drainage ditch) to higher ground:

20150331_144431.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #348  
On steeper hillsides, the miniexcavator works well and feels a lot safer.

1651853869480.jpeg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #350  
The goals around here are to keep the trails wide enough and in good shape to allow a mid sized tractor with bush hog to keep them mowed, and also to allow emergency access for utility vehicles to bring in EMS and assist removal of injured people. It's no fun trying to carry someone several miles up and down steep hills on a backboard! i remember reading of one injured rider in Hoosier National forest who had to be carried several miles to the lakeshore where she was taken out on a pontoon boat to a location where a medivac helicopter could land and transport them!