Trailer question - skid steer

/ Trailer question - skid steer #81  
Didn't realize this may be an option. I wonder how difficult it would be to "re-rate" it if I go to sell the trailer
From what I understand its only an option when its built & first registered. OEMs won't mess with re-rating them once they leave the factory or get sold.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #82  
I think each state deals with weight ratings a bit differently.

In Oregon I don't believe that you have to register a vehicle up to the max rating of your vehicle/trailer.

You just shouldn't go over the manufacture rating of the tow vehicle/trailer.

So a "Light Trailer" is up to 8K lbs, but they seem not to care if a 10K lbs trailer is registered as a "Light Trailer". The license is for weight on the trailer very much like an automobile license. Technically you could be fined for loading 10K on a trailer licensed for 8K. They likely would look at one suspiciously if one brought in a 20 ton trailer and asked to register it at 8K.

A "Heavy Trailer" is anything over 8K, and generally gets a "permanent plate", no annual license fees.

For the "Heavy Trailer", it depends on the combined tow/haul license of the tow vehicle that must be registered with "T" plates and registered by the maximum weight being towed/hauled.

So, if one had a RAM 3500 dually registered at 26,000 lbs with a heavy trailer.

If the RAM 3500 is 7,300 empty, then it should be able to pull a trailer at 18,700 lbs. Or less if say one had a 100 gallon diesel tank in the bed weighing about 800 lbs full. Then again it would still depend on the actual weight when one is stopped.

Ultimately a lot of this would depend on actual weights. If one's skidsteer is around 8K lbs. Plus the trailer weight. It probably could be towed on a 10K trailer, but wouldn't really be legal if it was registered at 8K, but one may not ever be officially weighed.

If the skidsteer was just over 10K lbs, then one would likely need to get a 12K or 14K trailer due to the additional weight of the trailer, go for the heavy trailer license, and pull it with a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton with T plates and registered to haul somewhere around 20K to 22K.

My current trailer has a manufacturer rating of 10K (defunct manufacturer). In the coming year, I'll probably upgrade it to around the equivalent of 15K, but it likely will be difficult to convince the state to allow it to carry 15K worth of cargo, and I won't want to... just yet.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #83  
anyone have pictures of "fork pockets". Not sure what they are.
More pictures:

eh-pallet-fork-carrier.jpg
pallet-forks-1.jpg

/ Trailer question - skid steer #84  
   / Trailer question - skid steer #85  

Ruffdog

Thanks for your initial question in the trailer post series and the link from my question on what fork pockets are. I had never seen this option on a trailer. It is a great option that I will want to include on my implement trailer.

I learned something new today about a useful trailer option.

(thanks for helping me spend more money but it will be money well spent as I will not have o use space on the trailer deck for the pallet forks)

/ Trailer question - skid steer #86  
Ruffdog

Thanks for your initial question in the trailer post series and the link from my question on what fork pockets are. I had never seen this option on a trailer. It is a great option that I will want to include on my implement trailer.

I learned something new today about a useful trailer option.

(thanks for helping me spend more money but it will be money well spent as I will not have o use space on the trailer deck for the pallet forks)
My contractor friend has fork pockets on at least one trailer of his. I just thought it was a handy and secure way of carrying the forks.