Trailer Security

/ Trailer Security #51  
Kevincook,

Look up a few post,,,, MikePA explained it rather well.

RedDog

/ Trailer Security #52  
I don't have a trailer. I just remember stuff I've seen while traveling from here to there; then Google.com helps me find it again. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Security
The gooseneck hitch looks like a regular hitch ball, except oversized (2-5/16") and mounted in the middle of the pick-up bed.

The 5th wheel hitch is a flat disc that looks exactly like a small version of an 18 wheeler's hitch.

eBay has pictures.

OkieG

/ Trailer Security #54  
Red Dog,
I'm thinking that down the road I may get a 1 ton dually and if I do I want to get it with a pickup bed. I too don't like the idea of the 5th wheel because, to me, it almost turns your truck into a single purpose vehicle. Additionally, I would like to have a clean floor in the bed by having a removable cover over the trailer receiver. What are your thoughts on this ....
Leo

/ Trailer Security
Leo,

This may be common knowledge, but on my eBay search I found a couple Gooseneck hitch models that fold into the bed for a flat surface. The mounting braces are bolted to the bed from underneath. I don't know if the folding models are as strong, but they seem to be rated in the ballpark of the stationary models. Of course, the number of items I veiwed was very small.

OkieG

/ Trailer Security #56  
Leo,

That is the way I would have installed it in my truck, but the previous owner already had the ball mounted permanently in the bed /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif.

My old gooseneck trailer had a rather unique design to it. It was the opposite of a semi,,, meaning the kingpin was in my truck bed, and the 5th wheel was on the neck of the trailer. What I liked about this design was when, not using the trailer, you could step on the kingpin and it would go down in the truck bed, making the bed look normal.

The drawback to this design is you would have to be very careful when hooking up, because you would have to "slide" it on to the kingpin. I like "dropping" a gooseneck onto a ball better!!!

RedDog

/ Trailer Security #57  
Red Dog and OkieG,
Thanks ... That "fifth wheel" you had sounds like it would be a little difficult to hook up but I would like having the pin disappear... anyway, I've always thought that I would like the "ball and receiver" of the gooseneck design best.
Leo

/ Trailer Security
Egon,

Hmmmm. What's missing here? Let's see...there's a hitch lock on the bullnose (ala Gary "in Indiana"). There's a good lock (ala David "MossRoad" G.) on the safety chains tied to an eye-bolt in the concrete. And, oh yes, the trailer is parked in a visible spot with tires missing!

My trailer is indispensible. When I need it, I need it. But, I won't be using it much for a while, so I thought I might try going tireless for a while. With a hydraulic hand jack and an air wrench it doesn't take too long to remove tires and hopefully make the trailer a bit more unattractive for thieves.

Of course, I'm still looking for the perfect (ie easy and effective) solution to trailer security. Thanks for everyone's input.

OkieG

Attachments

• 47-211468-MVC-033S.JPG
    47-211468-MVC-033S.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 115
   / Trailer Security #60  
Hi,

I don't have a tailer yet...but...

After looking at the attachemet of the trailer without wheels, and with a lock in the ball socket and a chain to the concrete pad...I could not help but thinking...

MAYBE YOU SHOULD MOVE CLOSER TO THE CITY WHERE NOBODY HAS AN ITEREST IS STEALING TRAILERS!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Really...I fear for my vehicle, but not for my trailer!

Perhaps that is because I don't have a trailer...but I might soon...

Actually, I don't really fear for my vehicles either.../w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA