Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Trygg chains installation

/ Trygg chains installation #1  

FrankJG

Tractor
Massey 1740M
Hi TBN community,
I bought a Massey 1740m last month to replace my 1985 MF254. I started the snow blowing season on bare tires but some of the 7 driveways im doing have pretty steep hills so today I decided to install the Trygg chains that I bought with the tractor.

Putting them on with the rope in the rim method was pretty easy, but when came the time to tighten them they just seems to be too long. However the chains size on the box match my tire size (14.9-24). Is there something I dont get ? Want to have some help from you guys before I give them some love with the angle grinder. Thanks
see pics below

20191117_154145.jpg
20191117_154328.jpg
20191117_154303.jpg

/ Trygg chains installation #2  
I use bungee cords on the outside to tighten them up.

/ Trygg chains installation
Thanks for your fast reply but what I mean by too long is that the first and last cross chain sections are overlaping making it impossible to put the mounting hooks on. I checked on the trygg website and with SMT standard model Im not supposed to cut any cross links.

/ Trygg chains installation #4  
The chains matched the tire size when new, if the tires have wear on them they'll be smaller in diameter and therefore there will be slack, you'll have to deal with the slack till it's time to get new tires or change the chains to a smaller size.

Tires are brand new 40 hrs on them

/ Trygg chains installation #6  
It's hard to tell but there only seems to be a little over lap. I would try connecting the centers just like they are. When you pull the side chains up snug it opens up the diamond shapes to make them shorter so every thing tightens up. Those type chains work best with slack in them anyway. I have mine like this - Not Trygg but OFA which is a Finnish brand. You can see they hang a little loose.

P1170493.JPG

gg

/ Trygg chains installation #7  
Here is a pic from the mounting instructions

P1180859.JPG

gg

Thanks Gordon pretty informative i'll look for that

/ Trygg chains installation #9  
If you inflate the tires to 120 PSI,, the chains will be the perfect size!! :D

I think most chains are shipped a little oversize, to allow for tire size variation,
even the same manufacturer can make two batches of tires that vary a LOT in diameter,,
that has been discussed a lot in the past,,

At least you have enough chain to make them fit,, right??

Hahah overinflating the tires is not a bad idea :laughing: but it might be my last post here before I hit 120 psi :confused2:
I will try to adjust them the best I can. I just found it weird that they are almost a foot longer of what they are supposed to.