Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #91  
I used to own a small single axle utility trailer I bought for $300 from a former co-worker. It was just for hauling stuff to the dump. I have, then, basic experience with trailering, but I need more knowledge to find the right one.

I figured out I cannot afford a big trailer and the truck it would take to move my tractor. I need a smaller one that can haul purchases home like a SxS (2800 lbs +/-), attachments I may buy in the future, and to help move things around the property. (trailer will be moved by pickup, tractor and SxS). Minimum size will need to probably be 6'x 12'.

Things I need to know:
pros and cons, given my needs, of 1 axle vs 2 axles
Must-have features...I simply don't know what I don't know
Recommendations on manufacturers and retailers
Tires - is it worth getting upgraded tires for predominantly off-road uses?

Any other advice is welcome. I have 2-3 months to figure out what I need. Thanks!
I bought a Big Tex 7,500 lb axles (dual) trailer back in 2018.

I rarely used it (maybe once a year) and sold it to the local Kubota dealer this year for $500 more than I bought it new.

My tractor can be picked up and brought back by the local Kubota dealer for a small fee and if I really need a trailer for something that can't be delivered I will rent one from U-haul.

Don't know if my SxS (Honda Pioneer 700) could move a loaded 6ft x 12 ft trailer.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #92  
@bcp it amazes me the number of manufacturers that do not take this into consideration. My 5x14 was very close to the tailgate. Only way it would clear what if I was completely straight and there was no deviation in level of the tailgate versus the trailer. While doing some other modifications I had that move back about 4 in and it has been fine since.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #93  
Tony check out Big Tex web site. I have a 7 ft x 16 ft Big Tex that I paid 2800.00 new in 2017. Double axels rated at 3500 lb each, electric brakes. I can carry a 31 hp JD compact utility tractor with loader and bucket and a 5 ft grooming mower all at once. Hope this helps.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #94  
Trailer and LT tires what are the differences:

Trailer tires are designed for a max speed of around 70-mph. LT tires are designed for max speeds of 106-mph.

The sidewalls of the LT tires have more flex designed in so the the contact patch of teh tread maintains better contact during the suspension travel of a truck, particularly the front end, which has a whole bunch of things happening as it moves through it’s travel. LT sidewalls typically have half as many sidewall ply’s as they do tread ply’s.

The sidewalls of trailer tires have very little flex. The suspension on a trailer, moves up and down, unless something is worn out, or broken. The lessened flex in a trailer tire makes it less capable of moving in crosswinds, making the trailer more stable in those adverse conditions which frequently cause issues and accidents. Trailer tires typical have close to the same number of sidewall plys, as they have tread ply’s.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #95  
Tony check out Big Tex web site. I have a 7 ft x 16 ft Big Tex that I paid 2800.00 new in 2017. Double axels rated at 3500 lb each, electric brakes. I can carry a 31 hp JD compact utility tractor with loader and bucket and a 5 ft grooming mower all at once. Hope this helps.
That price is at least double now.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #96  
I’d like to get a car trailer as I think it would be a kinda do all trailer for me. Anyone think the prices are gonna come back down to earth? Looks like a decent car trailer is in the 6500 area for a 10k rating.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #97  
There used to be numerous trailer manufacturers here in Sikeston. It's a pretty cut throat high volume low price business back when it was booming. I knew one of the manufacturers but he switched to specialty trailers like corn head trailers. Rice over near Popular Bluff makes a good trailer. I notice the more smaller manufacturers list axle rating but never the payload rating. If you get wood get pressure treated if it will live outside. I had to replace the wood on mine after maybe 5 years. I also slap some cheap piant on top of that and it seems to help. Mine is MF Orange to make it stick out like a sore thumb if stolen. For the member who lived on a military base (forgot who) I had a non running Suzuki street/trail bike stolen off a base in Guam in the early 80's. I suspect a co-worker tipped a local off. He later got drummed out of the Navy. he was hinting at it disappearing and I said That's called insurance fraud. He never brought it up again and maybe 2 months later I noticed it was gone one day out in front of the barracks.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #98  
I’d like to get a car trailer as I think it would be a kinda do all trailer for me. Anyone think the prices are gonna come back down to earth? Looks like a decent car trailer is in the 6500 area for a 10k rating.
C92C2DE5-7843-48F5-BF48-BCF1AD60DDAE.gif

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #99  
We’ve had our 18’ car hauler since 2002. Has a diamond plate deck and brakes on both axles. 7000# trailer with 5500# load capacity. It was $2500 back then. Was well worth the price. We’ve used it countless times to haul the tractor and attachments to our remote property, the Little League park, my wife’s church, friends’ and relatives’ houses, etc. We’ve also used it to pick up mulch, gravel, black dirt, firewood, furniture, mattresses, and yes, even cars! :LOL:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I made simple side walls out of 2x12s with 2x4’s that fit in the stake pockets/tie downs. They are easily removed or added as needed.

I put a pickup bed tool box on the front and keep an assortment of tie downs, chains, straps, load binders, tarps, a shovel, an axe, a machete, sledge hammer, spare lynch pins, can of spray lube, some tools, paper towels, and a bunch of other stuff as needed.

Really happy with the solid metal deck. It allows me to carry materials that can’t fall through the spaces VS a wooden plank deck, and allows me to drive the tractor right up onto the trailer and scoop items off with the bucket, toothed bucket, forks, etc., without worrying about damaging a wood floor.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #100  
We’ve had our 18’ car hauler since 2002. Has a diamond plate deck and brakes on both axles. 7000# trailer with 5500# load capacity. It was $2500 back then. Was well worth the price. We’ve used it countless times to haul the tractor and attachments to our remote property, the Little League park, my wife’s church, friends’ and relatives’ houses, etc. We’ve also used it to pick up mulch, gravel, black dirt, firewood, furniture, mattresses, and yes, even cars! :LOL:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I made simple side walls out of 2x12s with 2x4’s that fit in the stake pockets/tie downs. They are easily removed or added as needed.

I put a pickup bed tool box on the front and keep an assortment of tie downs, chains, straps, load binders, tarps, a shovel, an axe, a machete, sledge hammer, spare lynch pins, can of spray lube, some tools, paper towels, and a bunch of other stuff as needed.

Really happy with the solid metal deck. It allows me to carry materials that can’t fall through the spaces VS a wooden plank deck, and allows me to drive the tractor right up onto the trailer and scoop items off with the bucket, toothed bucket, forks, etc., without worrying about damaging a wood floor.
I read your post earlier and I felt kinda stupid cuse it didn’t even occur to me hey put up sided and you can move wood dirt and whatever. I was leaning a lot more towards dump trailer but they cost a lot more almost double.

I’m not really finding metal deck ones. What length do you have? If I wanted to tow my cars my challenger is the fattest I think it weighs like 5k haha she’s a big girl. If I get dirt I could scoop it off of either side. I could probably get my log lengths cheaper too if I go pick them up. I’ll have to talk to my log guy and see.