Vise pedestal

/ Vise pedestal #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
Sometime ago I treated myself to a new 6-1/2" vise as I was tired of using a 55 - 60 year old 3-1/2" vise that was my old-man's. My workbench is too flimsy to handle this vise, so I built a pedestal for it. I could have bought one from Wilton; but they wanted well over $400 just for a simple pedestal that is made from thinner materials than what I made mine out of.

The following three images are teasers, and all the pictures can be viewed at: https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/VisePedestal02#

IMG_0384.jpgPedestal-Vise-02.jpgPedestal-Vise-04.jpg

/ Vise pedestal #2  
Looks Great!
I made one almost identical to yours.
I do not have a lower tray though.
If you do alot of welding you can ground your vise permanently with a bonding strap.
I have my work bench hooked directly to my welder and a vise on the bench.
I also have a vise on a pedistal like your with a second cable bonded to the bench.
you can run flat stock steel and secure it to the floor so there is no cable to trip on or damage. I just run a cable.
I like being able to lay work pieces on the bench or secure them in the vise with out a clamp in the way.
I can stick or tig this way.
I hook my wire feed welders to the bench top or vise stand and can mig without a cable clamp on the work piece.
just an idea for you.
again, looks great!
aaaa tools 001.JPGaaaa tools 002.JPGaaaa tools 003.JPGaaaa tools 004.JPGaaaa tools 005.JPG
Tom

/ Vise pedestal #4  
Drawing ones dreams than making it materialize is very rewarding.
Great job!

/ Vise pedestal #5  
Nicely done! That's not going anywhere.

/ Vise pedestal #6  
Workmanship at its best. Both items done to perfection but knowing who did it I'm not at all surprised. Really enjoyed the photos. Good work :thumbsup:

/ Vise pedestal #7  
One of the most handy vice mounts I have put together fits into a 2" receiver on the back of the truck.

/ Vise pedestal #8  
:thumbsup: I like the sub platform. I find a wheel/rim to be quite convenient for a base. Easy to move around. Store steel inside for added weight.
larry

/ Vise pedestal #9  
Very good idea and workmanship. I made a similar post mount for my Wilton. Just thought I'd add that I use my vice for an anvil just as much as I use it for holding pipes and items to be welded. It takes a beating and still works fine. I've also added a clamp barb to hold a welding ground.

/ Vise pedestal #10  
I've got two vices mounted on semi rims. I can roll them around to where ever I need them. It works out very well!