Welding brackets on tractor frame

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #31  
How new is your tractor?
If new enough that it has electronics everywhere, you will find that welding to the frame does not work well especially as an non pro welder. Why? Because it has some strange alloys that make special process necessary. If older (no electronics, just basic lighting and starting circuits) You probably have a cast iron frame, which still presents problems with welding requiring at a minimum preheat and possibly nickel rods.
As for welding on anything that has a battery, I prefer to remove both terminals, as it prevents any electric current from the welding process to loop through any circuit on the equipment.
In summary, drilling, tapping and bolting is simpler

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #32  
If it has any kind of computer you should disconnect it, they don't fail often from welding but it happens sometimes. Disconnecting the battery doesn't do anything.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #33  
One rule of thumb when welding on vehicles is make very sure current never passes through bearings. Ground where you are welding, then be sure the stinger never bumps a wheel.

CoyPatton, I’m sure you meant to say carbon steel or mild steel; nobody would make a tractor frame of (very brittle) cast iron. Very old machinery and tools can be forged or wrought iron, but that’s OLD.

I’d do a little research and see if I could learn what that tractor frame really was made of, before considering welding. I wouldn’t worry too much about electronics. The welding arc is a bit of a spark gap transmitter, but you’re not creating an EMP. But what do I know? My tractor is 60+ years old. 🙂 Perhaps your dealer could answer a few questions.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #34  
I'm new to welding and just got an arc welder. I want to weld some brackets on the tractors frame and I don't want to damage any electronics. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Both terminals or just NEG?
If I were you Buggs67 I would disconnect BOTH. I had a JD 850 LGP Dozer. One of the track rollers broke. My operator called and had it welded. Of course he must have been a rookie and didn't disconnect the battery. You can disconnect just the ground but I'd disconnected BOTH. Better safe than sorry. Luckily he only blew up the alternator. A lesson learned. Good luck.

BubbaSam

Last edited:
   / Welding brackets on tractor frame #35  
I'm new to welding and just got an arc welder. I want to weld some brackets on the tractors frame and I don't want to damage any electronics. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Both terminals or just NEG?
I worked for years in the heavy truck industry. We never welded on a frame because they were heat treated, and the welding process could potentially set you up for a stress crack in the frame. Don't know if your frame is heat treated or not, but I would bolt on if possible.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #36  
Don't weld to frame because of warrenty issues

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #37  
Thousands of new trucks are used as welding platforms every day,,,, thousands and thousands. Thousands of cars welded on in body and muffler shops,, mufflers it would be thousands and thousands. As for my own self,,, had 10 years I welded on 3 a week, maybe 1500 or so and prolly another thousand or so over another 30 years, cars trucks trains, a couple planes ships boats tractors, motorcycles, prolly missed a few.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #38  
I usually disconnect battery just to be safe, but forgot to the day before yesterday. I had to weld a new bracket to hang the new hydraulic top link cyllinder onto as its hook would not reach my factory hook. I clamped ground wire to vice grip holding bracket. Forgot to unhook battery. Welded with stick machine.
no problems with tractor.
did 3 hours of chipping and wood hauling today. Everything works 100%

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #39  
You should disconnect the battery ground cable as this will prevent the possibility of your battery from exploding from the electrical current that is flowing from the welder.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #40  
You should disconnect the battery ground cable as this will prevent the possibility of your battery from exploding from the electrical current that is flowing from the welder.
So longs as the current flow is as close as possible to the weldment and so long as the weldment isn't in close proximity to any electronic component. disconnection the NEGATTVE battery cable, not the POSITIVE, is not necessary and never has been.

What you state is internet folklore.