Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #1  

ScottHam

Tractor
Kubota L3560LE HST 4WD; R4 tires; 3rd function valve; rear remote
After much research including reading dozens of threads on TBN, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first tractor -- a Kubota L2501 HST. Since one of the primary uses will being clearing cedar brush (here in the Texas hill country we refer to juniper as "cedar"), I am strongly considering adding a grapple. I will use it for moving and stacking piles of logs/branches/limbs/brush, as well as digging out smaller saplings and bushes. I imagine a grapple would also be helpful in pulling out old stumps and other miscellaneous tasks. The ground at my place is rocky, hilly and uneven, and the brush is thick. Based on my research, it seems that Landpride, EA and MTL all make great products that will get the job done. My question is regarding the style -- the claw type like the Landpride SGC06 with short bottom tines, or the root type like the EA Wicked Root or the MTL RG7 with longer bottom tines. It seems like the longer bottom tines would be more versatile and allow carrying of a wider variety of materials without crushing it, but the shorter bottom tines may be better for digging up bushes. I appreciate any thoughts you all have. Thank you.

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #2  
First of all, great decision to get a grapple. I recently bought a L3901 and the landpride grapple. Its My first grapple, I didn’t know I needed one so much until I got it. I can’t give much input on which grapple you should buy, however at times I can see how longer lower tines could be useful. For small starter trees and roots I like the smaller tines. I’m still learning how to best use the grapple, but like 4 wheel assist and a front end loader I don’t plan to have a tractor without one in the future.

Mike

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #3  
I have a L2501 HST. Love the tractor. I had a 2005 Massey 1528 with the Add A Grapple from Precision Manufacturing. I transferred it to the new L2501 in 2018. Much cheaper then a true grapple and it is so useful. It can be easily removed from the bucket but I never take it off. Truly the best money I ever spent on my tractor.

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #4  
I have a L2501 with the MTL 48" compact grapple. BLACK Compact Tractor 48" / 54" / 60" HD Root Grapple Hydraulic - quick attach — MTL Attachments. It weighs 350 lbs.

The MTL RG7 60" apparently weighs 530 lbs. The Landpride SGC06 weighs 247 pounds.

Personally, I wouldn't want to add any more weight than could be avoided. The Landpride weighs less than my MTL, but the 48" MTL was less expensive to buy and uses 3/8 steel.

My personal experience is that I have to tilt my MTL grapple to get the front tines under material laying on the ground. There is also a round metal tube near the front tines that is intended to prevent the grapple from digging in and bending the cylinder rods. The cylinder rods are more exposed to bending when they are extended.

We have hard ground in the summer and trees with deep tap roots. For me, I don't try to dig anything with my L2501 FEL and MTL grapple. In fact, one of the reasons I picked the MTL was so that I wouldn't be tempted to try to dig with it and tear up either the FEL and/or the hydraulic system. It's a $22k tractor....not a $95k compact track loader with 4"x10" loader arms.

I've pulled some small stumps (when the ground was wet and loose) with a chain attached to the drawbar and a wheel for extra leverage, but I wouldn't try pulling them with the grapple.

I think it's fine for picking up a reasonable mount of already loose debris provided that I don't overload the FEL and provided that I keep the weight centered in the grapple.

You're going to at least need a brush guard for your radiator. You may also want some guards for the hydraulic and transmission filters under the tractor.

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE
Thank you all for your input. This is very helpful. I just looked up the Add-a-Grapple, that it seems very interesting and convenient (and would also reduce temptation to dig with grapple tines....). I may not be any closer to deciding which route to go, but I have additional interesting information to consider :)

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #6  
If your primary goal is pulling juniper trees within reason, you might consider a tree puller. Smokeydog posted this thread about his using a Kubota B26 with a Danuser Intimdator tree puller (not cheap). Front-End Loader - Danuser Intimdator

There are also rear mounted tree pullers. Tree Puller?

Or you can pull trees for a lot less money with a chain attached to the drawbar and a wheel or pipe at the tree end of things. Not so great an option if rattlesnakes are present.

Once a tree gets to a certain size, for me about 3", I'm not sure that a small tractor is the right tool to pull it. And then, I want to pull it in the late winter or early spring when the ground is still moist and easier to work.

The tree pullers I've seen appear to cost more than a grapple, and expectations have to be set in light of what can be accomplished with a particular size tractor without damaging the tractor.

If you have a lot of trees that are beyond pulling, then perhaps a chainsaw or polesaw plus a gapple to move them makes sense. Or maybe a forestry mulcher or other method.

Last edited:
   / Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #7  
Im on year 4 with my MTL. Its done just fine for me.

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #8  
I have a Land Pride rock and root grapple. I would never consider pulling stumps or trees with my grapple. I move large rocks - chunks of pine tree trunk - dig up Buck brush - gather up pine tree limbs. Along with the WR Long 3rd function valve - I've had this grapple nine+ years. It's a VERY HD grapple and I've never had any problems with it or the 3rd function valve.

This grapple weighs 820# and with careful movements I'm able to collect and move rocks and pine tree trunks up to 3200#. I have weight charts for rocks and pine tree trunks. So I'm pretty sure what any load will weigh. I NEVER lift a really heavy load over 6" off the ground when making a move. This is why I'm able to lift such heavy loads. Check your weight lift graphs in your FEL owners manual. This will give more accurate lift information.
My Land Pride SGC 1560 grapple....
IMG_0011.jpeg

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #9  
BTW - you would be well to consider modifying your grill guard also. Limbs, sticks and stobs have a nasty way of damaging your radiator - grill - battery. I had a local welding shop add this expanded metal to my OEM grill guard.
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Which grapple? Landpride vs EA vs MTL for Kubota L3560LE #10  
Could you please explain the weight charts you mentioned? I could easily see underestimating the weight of a tree or rock. Do you have a laminated chart that you keep with you on your tractor?