wood stoves

/ wood stoves #1  

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
Got some quotes the other day, wow there are some big time price differences. What do you think , what are some of you using?
Jotul F500 $3331.00
Recency 2400M with brushed nickel accents $3391.00
Enerzone Solutions 3.4 $1894

Install,double wall chimney and blower is extra so you can tack on an extra $4000 by the time it's said and done.

I still want to go see Pacific Energy and Vermont Casting so I'll post those when I get them.
Btw the house is new construction 1524sq ft with open concept living dinning and kitchen with 3 bedrooms. This will be to offset the electric furnace.

Last edited:
   / wood stoves #2  
Have a Look at Pacific Energy Super 27. Great stove and reasonable priced. We purchased on in 2005 and have had not problems.

/ wood stoves #3  
Do you realize how much propane or electric heat $6,000 to $8,000 can buy??
Wood is not free no matter how you do it. Cut & split yourself or buy it.

I have a simple wood stove that I built my self & it heats about 1,000 square feet, with simple little fan to circulate the warm air. My wood is about as close to free as you can get. Some I even get paid for cutting & carrying away. I call my little stove a Semi Air tight, it is baffled to keep a lot of heat from going up the stove pipe.

/ wood stoves #4  
Do you realize how much propane or electric heat $6,000 to $8,000 can buy??
Wood is not free no matter how you do it. Cut & split yourself or buy it.

I have a simple wood stove that I built my self & it heats about 1,000 square feet, with simple little fan to circulate the warm air. My wood is about as close to free as you can get. Some I even get paid for cutting & carrying away. I call my little stove a Semi Air tight, it is baffled to keep a lot of heat from going up the stove pipe.

For me it would be 1.5 to 2 seasons for payback, burning oil. If you have the tools to get the wood and it is on your property, cost in $$$ is minimal, but sweat equity is up there. It helps you stay in shape too. I burn 15 face cords a year and would take a huge hit i the wallet if I only relied on my boiler.

/ wood stoves #5  
We've been heating with a Lopi free standing wood stove since 2006. We use it as supplemental heat to our central heat pump and like you we have a open concept house with a large open area that includes living, dining, and kitchen. It provides nice even heat for that large room and we've had no problems with it burning mostly dry seasoned oak along with some hackberry, persimmon and elm cleared from our fence rows. The installation was done as the house was being built and it wasn't as expensive as the prices you have quoted.

Bill

/ wood stoves #6  
Keep an eye on Craigslist for lightly used stoves. I was fortunate enough to find a nice Regency F2400 with blower and about 18' of Duratech class-A chimney and hardware for $550 last week.

My first quote for a new stove was just under $6000 for a DS ComfortMax 75, pipe, chimney, pad and install.

I hope to be up and running with the Regency by fall for about $1500 total (need to get various pieces for my installation and build or buy a hearth pad).

/ wood stoves #7  
I upgraded to a Jotul F500 in October and have been extremely pleased. Are Canadian prices that much different that USA? Your quote is 50% higher than here (assuming flat black, not enamel).

/ wood stoves #8  
Been burning wood for more than 35 years. Have a central fieldstone chimney in a log home with a Jotul F500 stove in the kitchen with a fresh air supply. It is a fine stove and heats the whole house ~2000 sq ft. We have oil fired hot water and for back up oil fired hot air and a heat pump as well. Use about 135 gallons of fuel oil a year and burn just about 3 full cords of wood.

/ wood stoves #9  
Install,double wall chimney and blower is extra so you can tack on an extra $4000 by the time it's said and done.

That seems high. What have you got now/how much "installation" is required?

/ wood stoves #10  
Take a look at country wood stoves.

mark