YM187D Project tractor

/ YM187D Project tractor #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
It was bound to happen… listed my 226D for a stupid price thinking no one will ever buy it yet I still sold it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Timing wise it worked out though since I was moving into my new shop and needed to free up some space while I got settled in. Now that everything is put away it was time for another project. I did post another thread about some Hyster forklifts I was messing with but now that I’m mostly done outfitting my shop forklift another Yanmar made its way to my shop.

IMG_2059.JPG

This one came up on marketplace about an hour away. Having had a 186 and 226 I really wanted to see how a 187 compared, plus I have a lead on a 187 parts tractor that I’m hoping to pick up Saturday. Nonetheless I was busy with work and the seller offered to deliver this 187 to me so naturally I said yes. Upon initial inspection the rear brakes are sticking, the skirting and stance tells me it was most likely from a Christmas tree farm, and it even has factory Yanmar weights hanging off the front. It’s got the typical non-functioning wiring, broken hour meter cable, a seat that’s ready to fall off, and a broken dash bezel.

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

Last night I got a chance to take a better look at the tractor and pulled off the skirting and canopy. Upon inspection I found the rear axle stubs are cut and the front axle was narrowed. They also installed some 8-16 rear tires which I’m pretty sure are too small explaining why the tires are so worn. I also found that the ROPS are actually for a YM180 and that the fenders were cut to allow them to fit snugly around the ROPS.

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

Looking forward to getting this 187 back up to par.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
   / YM187D Project tractor #3  
Looks like it's had a hard life on that farm.

/ YM187D Project tractor #4  
Looks like he laid it on it's side, broke off the ROPS, then welded it back on, then repeated that, breaking it again at the heat-affected area by his repair weld. That thing has had a hard life.

I thought the 180 and 187 were identical except transmission, so same ROPS.

My Yanmars look a little rough but that one is a least a match!

With the narrowing, you might be better off moving parts onto the salvage tractor. Or if you clean up this one, strengthen the ROPS and sell it as a Christmas tree farm special. That narrow, I expect it will flop over from time to time.

I wish I had a YM187D. My YM186D is too tiny in the operator area to climb on/off easily. YM186D is a wonderful tractor overall - except for that continual nuisance. The later YM187D with more operator space was a great design improvement.

Related question: Ernie then Raffi in Portland, both in your region, must have sold their remaining stuff to somebody near there. Do you have any idea who has Raffi's parts now?

Last edited:
   / YM187D Project tractor
Looks like he laid it on it's side, broke off the ROPS, then welded it back on, then repeated that, breaking it again at the heat-affected area by his repair weld. That thing has had a hard life.

I thought the 180 and 187 were identical except transmission, so same ROPS.

My Yanmars look a little rough but that one is a least a match!

With the narrowing, you might be better off moving parts onto the salvage tractor. Or if you clean up this one, strengthen the ROPS and sell it as a Christmas tree farm special. That narrow, I expect it will flop over from time to time.

I wish I had a YM187D. My YM186D is too tiny in the operator area to climb on/off easily. YM186D is a wonderful tractor overall - except for that continual nuisance. The later YM187D with more operator space was a great design improvement.

Related question: Ernie then Raffi in Portland, both in your region, must have sold their remaining stuff to somebody near there. Do you have any idea who has Raffi's parts now?

Funny you mention that. Yesterday I took a trip 3 hours south for a parts tractor. When I got there I noticed a bar none sticker on it which means this was one of Raffi’s parts tractors that was auctioned off earlier this year. The parts tractor is missing quite a bit but I think I can make one out of the 2.

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

This was the real bummer.. The right side knuckle is from a different tractor and was held on by 1 bolt. My main concern came true upon removal when I seen that the axle shaft was also gone.. I can rob the knuckle from my narrowed axle but still need a shaft since the narrowed one will be too short. Anyone have an idea what the other knuckle would be for? It’s similar but the bolt pattern is different where it mounts to the housing. Also has a slightly smaller lug pattern.

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Basically I’m planning on stripping down the narrow 187 to redo the wiring and black paint. While it’s apart I’m going to try and get the parts tractor running with borrowed parts. I’ll swap the normal width stuff onto the narrow tractor (axles/rear fenders/platform) and then likely part out the rest. I need to make a list of what the parts tractor is missing but if someone needs something specific for a 187D I’d hope I could help someone out.

/ YM187D Project tractor
@California wants that hood I bet!

I’d be more than happy to sell the hood. The main draw back is the holes behind the 187 emblem for who knows what. This tractor had a loader at one time which explains its rougher looks.

IMG_2166.JPG

/ YM187D Project tractor
Another update!

Tonight I started taking some things off the parts tractor. Before I go too far I wanted to try and get it running so I robbed the starter, fuel filter housing, and injector lines off of my runner and put them on the parts tractor. Hooked up my remote starter box and bled fresh fuel up to the injection pump. Unfortunately I don’t have much lying around for battery cables so the starter wouldn’t perform as well as it should have but I found out quickly that the injection pump is not pumping fuel at all. Ran out of time at that point but am thinking about robbing the pump off of my running tractor as well as getting some battery cables made up so I can know for sure if this engine is good or not.

Please excuse the electrical mess in which I tried to start it with. Jumper cables were less than ideal.
IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

/ YM187D Project tractor #9  
Love your hand cleaner "instant electrical system"! You get so much done so quickly. It is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Peter

/ YM187D Project tractor #10  
@California wants that hood I bet!
You're on to me! (y)

I did, in fact, already look it over carefully. Then went out and looked at mine.

I see that hood is dinged up worse than mine. It looks like the lower perimeter of the mesh grill is pushed in some. And it isn't resolved whether it's the same length, since YM187 is longer overall.

Shipping cost would tip the balance toward just getting mine straightened by a good body shop. If I cared. I tell guests who comment on my 'well used' (I bought them in that condition) tractors - "well I was better looking 40 years ago too".:)

Here's a picture of my first YM186D (left, no loader) and the replacement I've had since 2013. (with loader & power steering). Straightening this hood would be simple for a pro tinpounder. The complexity of taking the cowl apart and painting everything - sheet metal and chassis - is more than I feel like doing. Everything works as intended which is really all I need. I did clean up and paint those wheels. And I am going to buy the headlight bezel - some day. I don't remember any other bodywork.

Last edited: