YM187D Project tractor

/ YM187D Project tractor
Love your hand cleaner "instant electrical system"! You get so much done so quickly. It is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Peter

For as simple as it is it sure is handy for engines that don’t have a functioning electrical system handy. I built it for a Duetz F2L410 2 cylinder air cooled engine that I had out of an M600D Bobcat that I got running last year. I wanted everything in a box basically so I spent an afternoon stuffing wires, old bobcat parts (switch and volt gauge) and relays into that old tub of towels until I got the end result.

4C00B4B3-DCD4-48FA-823A-832A319B77F5.jpg

IMG_5356.JPG

/ YM187D Project tractor
You're on to me! (y)

I did, in fact, already look it over carefully. Then went out and looked at mine.

I see that hood is dinged up worse than mine. It looks like the lower perimeter of the mesh grill is pushed in some. And it isn't resolved whether it's the same length, since YM187 is longer overall.

Shipping cost would tip the balance toward just getting mine straightened by a good body shop. If I cared. I tell guests who comment on my 'well used' (I bought them in that condition) tractors - "well I was better looking 40 years ago too".:)

Here's a picture of my first YM186D (left, no loader) and the replacement I've had since 2013. (with loader & power steering). Straightening this hood would be simple for a pro tinpounder. The complexity of taking the cowl apart and painting everything - sheet metal and chassis - is more than I feel like doing. Everything works as intended which is really all I need. I did clean up and paint those wheels. And I am going to buy the headlight bezel - some day. I don't remember any other bodywork.

No worries! It’s better than some but certainly far from perfect. I may try to fix some of its imperfections and see how the paint responds to some wax.

/ YM187D Project tractor #13  
No worries! It’s better than some but certainly far from perfect. I may try to fix some of its imperfections and see how the paint responds to some wax.
Love the photos. You have the best toys there!

I see YM187 is substantially different from YM186. YM187 3-point top link mount is bolted to the back of the transmission like the larger Yanmars. YM186 3-point top link mount is bolted only to the top of the transmission and is L shaped to get down to the top link pin holes. I welded a plate onto that mount - just behind the holes - so I could add bolts next to the PTO cover. That YM187 flatter floor is an improvement too.

The hydraulic pump on the parts tractor looks like it might be a replacement. Maybe you got lucky and its higher capacity.

Sounds like Raffi's salvage tractors went to auction and are now scattered all over the west coast. I bought the YM240 replacement right axle housing from him. Great guy, reasonable price.

/ YM187D Project tractor
Love the photos. You have the best toys there!

I see YM187 is substantially different from YM186. YM187 3-point top link mount is bolted to the back of the transmission like the larger Yanmars. YM186 3-point top link mount is bolted only to the top of the transmission and is L shaped to get down to the top link pin holes. I welded a plate onto that mount - just behind the holes - so I could add bolts next to the PTO cover. That YM187 flatter floor is an improvement too.

The hydraulic pump on the parts tractor looks like it might be a replacement. Maybe you got lucky and its higher capacity.

Sounds like Raffi's salvage tractors went to auction and are now scattered all over the west coast. I bought the YM240 replacement right axle housing from him. Great guy, reasonable price.

It does have a lot more in common to the 226 I had vs the 186. My buddy was offered all of Raffi’s parts tractors but before he could say yes everything was sent off to auction.

/ YM187D Project tractor
Small update. Havent gotten too far on the 187D, ended up picking up a bunch of forklifts to fix up which has pretty much consumed my shop space. Will be back on the Yanmar once I get these forklifts fixed up.

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

/ YM187D Project tractor #16  
Hey California, what happened to Raffi that he sold out, did he move out of town or just got tired of the tractors?
I saw him a few years ago and he was doing fine..

/ YM187D Project tractor #17  
Hey California, what happened to Raffi that he sold out, did he move out of town or just got tired of the tractors?
I saw him a few years ago and he was doing fine.
Last December I asked if he had internal parts for the 3-point lift on my YM186D. (thread about my repair).
He replied he could furnish the housing complete if I wanted that.

Mid-February 2021 I told him I completed the repair. It was only a broken rollpin. And asked him to tell me if he got in a YM187D.

His reply to me:
All my inventory has been sold and gone thanks. -Raffi

OP noted above (Post #5) that his YM187D is a Raffi tractor that went through Bar-None auction site. So maybe he can tell us more.

That's all I know.

Anybody know of another Yanmar etc salvage yard in the West?

And what are you up to now? Did you ever come back home to the Left Coast? :)

/ YM187D Project tractor #18  
Last December I asked if he had internal parts for the 3-point lift on my YM186D. (thread about my repair).
He replied he could furnish the housing complete if I wanted that.

Mid-February 2021 I told him I completed the repair. It was only a broken rollpin. And asked him to tell me if he got in a YM187D.

His reply to me:

OP noted above (Post #5) that his YM187D is a Raffi tractor that went through Bar-None auction site. So maybe he can tell us more.

That's all I know.

Anybody know of another Yanmar etc salvage yard in the West?

And what are you up to now? Did you ever come back home to the Left Coast? :)

California,
I retired and farm part time, I still have a shop full of branson tractors to keep me entertained and busy.
We are done with the left coast, the 2020 fires came a 1/4 mile close to our home, + the idiots legalized pot, and we had enough of their politics.

The only thing I really miss is the deer hunting on my land, I use to harvest 200 lb + bucks every year and that's history.

The weather where I'm at is wonderful, its 80 degrees here and 29 back in Ore-gone. I must say that I still miss opening up those containers of yanmars and seeing all that red metal.
It was really hard selling my 5 yanmars, all those years of mounting loaders and care for them came to an end. I sold the FX335-D to a good friend, and he takes good care of it.
I still have the FX235-D with a full roll bar canopy and a finish mower on the back, I couldn't bring myself to sell it when we moved.

Life goes on.... ;)

Last edited:
   / YM187D Project tractor
Small update:

Found a set of turf tires off of another 187D yesterday and got them mounted up. Now the drivetrain won’t work against itself in 4wd, the rear tires that were on it were from a 165D.

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG