Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,681  
Ralph in Va
Before I created my system I researched all the gens out there and concluded that the Isuzu was in my opinion the best of the best.
90cummins
It's a real gem. The last (and really long) run on it last winter really put a load on it. Ran out of fuel at 69 hours (about 50 gallons; apparently the pickup doesn't suck that last 10 gallons). Also highest fuel consumption. Normally, it had been running about 0.3 or less gph. Ran 2 heat pumps and clothes drier and hot water heater (all electric), too. Only allows those on if there's room on the generator. It was apparently running near full for those 69 hours in the cold.

Thing starts up with absolutely no clatter. You'd think it was a gasoline engine but for the 12 second delay to run the glow plugs and to circulate fuel. No smoke.

Puzzles me about Central Maine Diesel. Sent email, called and got computerized message and sent fax. No response. Luckily, I got the 3 filters back 9+ years ago to get the WIX/NAPA equivalents.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,682  
it's a thing/gen of beauty.
that little diesel has probably powered millions of small cars and trucks in Asia.

is there a MTBF rating on any of this equipment? I'm sure in critical machinery that's more an issue, like refinery or power plant equipment.
I always thought a study of very high hour engines would be interesting. RustyIron, I hope that gives you a lifetime of reliability and satisfaction.
Very nice install.

from my personal experience dealing with a diesel that size for many years on my boat gen, it's not the engine that ever breaks, it's all the stuff on the outside of the engine, which
thankfully is fairly easy to get to. Make a really long life coolant water pump, that would sure help. On off solenoids that can take thousands of cycles.
Just nice to see things built heavy duty.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,683  
So far so good, but it's only just under 1200 hours. Still a baby hopefully. I bought it @ just over 1000 hr.
I'm tickled, especially for $4500 for the machine and fuel tank. 👍

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,684  
This past Sunday, calm summer day, a little on the hot side and the power goes "out". The utility has been doing a great job over the past few years tree trimming so it must be a car/pole/stupid driver situation.
Got another 4 hours on the generator (just for the freezers)
....and someone did take out a pole. This time I opened up the building all I could with the temperature. No issues.
(y)

A chest freezer should be good for a while..... but esp. these days, nobody wants to lose a freezer of food :oops: on a longer outage.....

Rgsd, D.

#5,685  
So far so good, but it's only just under 1200 hours. Still a baby hopefully. I bought it @ just over 1000 hr.
I'm tickled, especially for $4500 for the machine and fuel tank. 👍
Heckuva deal !

At today's crazy prices, the tank alone could be a good chunk of that amount :rolleyes:..... but if you're at all like me, that generator would be listed in your Will....

Rgds, D.

#5,686  
It's a real gem. The last (and really long) run on it last winter really put a load on it. Ran out of fuel at 69 hours (about 50 gallons; apparently the pickup doesn't suck that last 10 gallons). Also highest fuel consumption. Normally, it had been running about 0.3 or less gph. Ran 2 heat pumps and clothes drier and hot water heater (all electric), too. Only allows those on if there's room on the generator. It was apparently running near full for those 69 hours in the cold.

Thing starts up with absolutely no clatter. You'd think it was a gasoline engine but for the 12 second delay to run the glow plugs and to circulate fuel. No smoke.

Puzzles me about Central Maine Diesel. Sent email, called and got computerized message and sent fax. No response. Luckily, I got the 3 filters back 9+ years ago to get the WIX/NA equivalents.
Quite the load Ralph - good exercise ! 🤠

Your average Winter Lows don't look that bad, but your southern states have seen some unusual Winters of late..... modern heat pumps are pretty good, but I'd expect efficiency to still fall off down low....

I've been around modern Izuzu's in medium duty trucks here..... quiet and efficient..... pre-Covid, peripheral truck parts (brake parts) could be thin on the ground up here...... but now, what isn't ?

Thinking back to when we (briefly) had light duty Isuzu dealerships here...... the tag on print ads was something like "First Car-Builder of Japan", IIRC....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,687  
I think Isuzu built cars looking like Model A's in the very beginning.
Japan's quality was always the best.
you want the best small motor out there? You bought a Honda GX.
Probably still is a seriously fine motor after all these years of refinement.

Sadly, you did not buy a Briggs & Stratton, though the older iron blocks were tough engines.

I wonder why the Germans never sold their engines here. Maybe because we bombed the heck out of those factories
a while back... Deutz did for tractors, those very cool air cooled diesels.

Toyota goes by different names, do they make a small engine line? I didn't think so.
I've owned a Nissan outboard and it was great. A Tohatsu also, fine small engine.

I think a NA Cummins B would make a very fine gen motor. In case Rusty's ever wears out.
In about three lifetimes.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,688  
Last year when I was struggling to get the AGS to work I thought I smoked the first AGS module and that that was why it wouldn’t work so I bought a replacement.
Now that my system is working properly I though I would install the original to see if it was actually damaged and it worked fine👍👍
Sooo after I finish & pretty up the wiring on this system I can use the spare to operate the MEP-952 gen set.
O-Boy another installation to keep me up at night🙄!!
Well it gives me something to do so I don’t go brain dead 😂😂
90cummins

#5,689  
I think Isuzu built cars looking like Model A's in the very beginning.
Japan's quality was always the best.
you want the best small motor out there? You bought a Honda GX.
Probably still is a seriously fine motor after all these years of refinement.

Sadly, you did not buy a Briggs & Stratton, though the older iron blocks were tough engines.

I wonder why the Germans never sold their engines here. Maybe because we bombed the heck out of those factories
a while back... Deutz did for tractors, those very cool air cooled diesels.

Toyota goes by different names, do they make a small engine line? I didn't think so.
I've owned a Nissan outboard and it was great. A Tohatsu also, fine small engine.

I think a NA Cummins B would make a very fine gen motor. In case Rusty's ever wears out.
In about three lifetimes.
Hondas in generators...... been making efficient small engines with really good muffler systems, for a very long time.... Today, there is more competition in the market, so it's a fun time to go shopping....

Newer Briggs (while often still loud) seem to stand up better than in the olden days.... I'm running a 6.5 Briggs in a Craftsman push mower, that is still going strong after about 15 years. But, I do change the oil in it, something many people don't bother to do in mowers, so that helps.... It probably has enough hours on it, that I should check/adjust the valves, but some other mechanical (vehicle) repairs always seem to take precedence.....

Small air-cooled domestic..... later in my life, I came across Wisconsin.... it's one I'd consider for industrial use, or multiple lifetimes of light residential use.

Rgds, D.

#5,690  
Last year when I was struggling to get the AGS to work I thought I smoked the first AGS module and that that was why it wouldn’t work so I bought a replacement.
Now that my system is working properly I though I would install the original to see if it was actually damaged and it worked fine👍👍
Sooo after I finish & pretty up the wiring on this system I can use the spare to operate the MEP-952 gen set.
O-Boy another installation to keep me up at night🙄!!
Well it gives me something to do so I don’t go brain dead 😂😂
90cummins
At least we are helping keep you from running wild in the streets...... :cool:

Congratulations on the AGS(s)...... for identification purposes, call one Phoenix, and the other, Lazarus ?

(y) Rgds, D.