Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,331  
They still use the V10, but only in the Chassis Cab trucks, not the pickups. The main reasons for discontinuing use of the V10 in pickups are cost (~25% more parts in a V10 vs. a V8) and fuel economy. From what I have heard, the 6.2L V8 does a remarkable job as a replacement for the V10.

Good to know thank you

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,332  
I had a F-350 with the 6.8l v-10 and a 12' flatbed. We'd joke how it'd pass anything on the road, except a gas station.

In reality it was a nice for pulling and you really couldn't help or hurt the mpg no matter how you had it loaded. Given the choice I'd have another in place of the new overly-regulated diesels.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,333  
They still use the V10, but only in the Chassis Cab trucks, not the pickups. The main reasons for discontinuing use of the V10 in pickups are cost (~25% more parts in a V10 vs. a V8) and fuel economy. From what I have heard, the 6.2L V8 does a remarkable job as a replacement for the V10.

That, and it's tough to make a large displacement motor meet emissions. Same reason Dodge killed their V10 and GM is 8.1 V8.

Chris

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,334  
Ford still uses the V-10 in the medium duty trucks.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,336  
Really enjoying all of these setups! Nice trucks and equipment folks.

Here's little red:

- 2011 Ram 1500 - 34" E rated tires and rear air lift helper coil bags - using a 14,000# Equalizer WDH when hauling trailer
- 20ft Load Trail Med Duty Trailer - +/- 10,400# capacity incl trailer
- Mahindra 2538 HST, 6ft Cutter, 6ft Box Blade, 5ft grapple and factory bucket (Loaded Trailer Weight +/- 8,000#)

Rig and Tractor Loaded out with implements sized.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,337  
Ford still uses the V-10 in the medium duty trucks.

I have a 2016 F450 4x4 dump with the V10. It pulls nice, not quite as well as my 2012 350 diesel dump did, but the 450 carries weight much better. And the wide front axle is much better turning. .. It is 7-9 mpg depending how hard I push on the pedal.. And 3.5 mpg plowing snow.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,338  
The old cable-throttle V10s were quite responsive and fun to drive. You would think that emissions could be controlled easier with a v10 than a similar displacement v8 since the combustion chamber is smaller.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,339  
What kind of milage do you guys get out of a v10? A buddy has one and he constantly brags on it. He clams he gets 12 mpg in town driving and about 8 pulling a heavy load which is no worse than my F-350 with the 5.4 v8.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,340  
What kind of milage do you guys get out of a v10? A buddy has one and he constantly brags on it. He clams he gets 12 mpg in town driving and about 8 pulling a heavy load which is no worse than my F-350 with the 5.4 v8.

My '99 F350 with a 12' steel flatbed got 8-10 no matter how gently you drove or what you had loaded on or behind it.

I really miss driving that truck.