Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,831  
That would require knowing what the whole load weighs making your hitch scale nearly useless. It's not that big of a deal anyway.

Which is why I have a separate tongue scale that I can put on a floor jack and weigh the front of the tractor, then weigh the back of the tractor. Jon

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,832  
Which is why I have a separate tongue scale that I can put on a floor jack and weigh the front of the tractor, then weigh the back of the tractor. Jon

The weight distribution changes when you set the implements on the ground.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,833  
Hv6fuyJh.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,834  
The fact that the rear tires of the tractor are over the axle, putting the "heavy end" toward the tongue. And affirmed by the poster as perhaps 25%. I'm a bit too OCD to guess, so when I get my new trailer I'm gonna get one of the hitches with a scale.

I assume you do know that you can calculate the trailer lbs. on the hitch using a bathroom scale.
If you tow every week, the bathroom scale method would be a PITA, but for occasional use, it works just fine.
I get the loaded trailer weight at a municipal scale.
I try to set up my load for 10% - 12% on the hitch.
I also do have air bags.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,835  
I assume you do know that you can calculate the trailer lbs. on the hitch using a bathroom scale.
If you tow every week, the bathroom scale method would be a PITA, but for occasional use, it works just fine.

My assumption is, this only works with bumper pull trailers. I don't know of a single bathroom scale that could handle any of my goosenecks even when empty.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,836  
I've never seen a bathroom scale that reads over 300 pounds. Even with a lever arrangement that's unpractical.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,837  
Y'all just fell into his rhetorical trap! :laughing:

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,838  
I go by look and by feel. Guess I'm a weirdo. I'd be too my destination before a scale. I'm fine with all the tongue weight the truck can handle.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,839  
I go by look and by feel. Guess I'm a weirdo. I'd be too my destination before a scale. I'm fine with all the tongue weight the truck can handle.

Where I come from, that's called experience...........:drink:
Been towing for about 50 years, I'm pretty confident about how I load and secure. I know that look and feel.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,840  
Same here, I look for the tongue to drop 3-4" and call it good.

Aaron Z