Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,853  
Just for information purposes, that 300 lb. scale would be worthless (crushed) after I place the hitch of my gooseneck on it. I'm also not saying that your scale method is not worthy of intermittent use for a bumper pull trailer. But, with experience, eventually the person doing the hauling will develop the knowledge and feel for where that load needs to be placed to ensure an acceptable tongue weight.

May I ask, just how much experience you have with gooseneck trailers? Regardless of what bumper pull trailer you use, the tongue weight empty does not begin to compare with that of a gooseneck.

New to this forum. I see it can get a bit "snippy". Or am I being a bit sensitive?

As a matter of fact, I rarely use a tire air pressure gauge. When I have, I'm normally within a couple of pounds or the desired AP. But, I also know what my tires should look like when the trailer is empty and when it's at max load.

Hey Blackrams I have followed this forum for years. There is a lot of good information on here but you are 100% correct about the "snippy" thing......:drink:

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,854  
Any info on the truck? I miss my 12 valve and yours looks VERY clean.

It's a 1996 that I bought in 1998 with 80k miles on it. It now has 212 k miles. The 5.9 cummins has been pumped up a bit with the Banks power pack. Has a 5 speed stick which I love and getting a south Bend clutch upgrade Monday. Axles have 4.10 gears, so it tows very well, but high rpm's on the freeway. It is very clean, and always garaged. I really like the truck. Does everything I need it to do.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,855  
Hey Blackrams I have followed this forum for years. There is a lot of good information on here but you are 100% correct about the "snippy" thing......:drink:

Some safety-policemen: usually good intentioned. Delivery may need improvement.

A few who may type before they think.

And only a very few trolls, outside of the FP forum.

Lots of good info on here, and no shortage of people "helping" you spend money :D.

If you find a particular poster problematic, then your Ignore List is a good tool to use. I've been here "a while", and only have a few names on my list - it's been a pretty good trip so far.

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,856  
How much do you have in that little dump trailer? I have been wanting one like that.

The trailer is 6'x12' with a 12k overall capacity. I purchased it new for $6000. What sold me on the trailer was the 10 guage steel bed with break formed sides instead of welds. I recently applied 3m plastic film to protect the powdercoat from rock chips thrown from the truck while towing. It's a pretty trailer. It will live a pampered life.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,857  
It's a 1996 that I bought in 1998 with 80k miles on it. It now has 212 k miles. The 5.9 cummins has been pumped up a bit with the Banks power pack. Has a 5 speed stick which I love and getting a south Bend clutch upgrade Monday. Axles have 4.10 gears, so it tows very well, but high rpm's on the freeway. It is very clean, and always garaged. I really like the truck. Does everything I need it to do.

Definitely a keeper. Any GearVendor options being considered ?

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,858  
image.jpegOne more photo. The trailer has a adjustable dump gate that can spread gravel amazingly even. I was giddy while pouring my driveway. Sorry the image is sideways. I don't know how to rotate it in the post.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #2,859  
My gooseneck has duel jacks so you could 2 scales. The tongue weight is more than 600 pounds empty though.
You don't put the jack directly on the scale, you use a 4 foot piece of 4x4 with the scale on one end and a pivot at the other (and a piece of pipe between the scale and the wood and another between the pivot and the wood). If you put the jack 1 foot in from pivot and 3 feet from the bathroom scale, 100# as displayed on the scale is 400# of tongue weight.
See: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com
attachment.php

Aaron Z

Attachments

• faq118_dd.jpg
    faq118_dd.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 828
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #2,860  
Definitely a keeper. Any GearVendor options being considered ?

Rgds, D.

I installed a Gear Vendors overdrive, but had a very bad harmonic vibration at 55mph and 70mph that I could not solve. The gear vendors unit was solid and loved it, but could not deal with the vibration drone noise through out the truck. I worked with gear vendors engineers for months, trying to solve the issue.
I returned the unit after trying many things.

My OEM driveline came with a rubber vibration dampener that Gear Vendors swore I did not need, but im pretty sure it would have solved the problem. I may try the gear vendors again, and have a driveline made with the rubber dampener, because I need a gear splitter when towing the fully loaded dump trailer. That sucker gets heavy!

Last edited: