Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #21  
You'll lose some oomph for sure. Maybe not as much with the better engine controls these days, but I've had several older gassers that fell flat on their face once you got them a mile high.

When I got my truck--'94--I went to Purgatory Ski Resort in my truck, and a buddy went in his F150 with the 5.0 liter. In Oklahoma and Texas he could outrun me; once we got to New Mexico though he couldn't run his truck in overdrive, the altitude cost him that much power. Meanwhile I stayed in 5th gear all the way to Durango (snow packed roads then so had to go a little slower). Neither of us had a substantial load, though his F150 was probably 1500 lbs lighter than my F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke...

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #22  
The two most important things to consider and look for when looking at a truck is to make sure that is doesn't say Chevy or Dodge on it anywhere. After that if you can find a blue oval you should be OK.

Seriously I think you mentioned that you would consider the V-10 gasser and since then the posts have pretty much gone to diesels. I love a diesel but I drive a gasser. Since it's my daily driver I think that makes great sense. Every station sells gas but finding diesel can be a pain. The company truck is a diesel and it causes a serious pucker now and then trying to find fuel on the road. Interstate driving is fine but get off the main drag and into the cities and diesel can be a problem. Besides the fuel availability issue I think it makes sense from an upkeep point of view to drive a gasser. If a diesel breaks down the money really adds up to get it going again. Diesel torque is great but honestly I've never hooked up to anything that my gasser will not haul.

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires
The two most important things to consider and look for when looking at a truck is to make sure that is doesn't say Chevy or Dodge on it anywhere. After that if you can find a blue oval you should be OK.

Seriously I think you mentioned that you would consider the V-10 gasser and since then the posts have pretty much gone to diesels. I love a diesel but I drive a gasser. Since it's my daily driver I think that makes great sense. Every station sells gas but finding diesel can be a pain. The company truck is a diesel and it causes a serious pucker now and then trying to find fuel on the road. Interstate driving is fine but get off the main drag and into the cities and diesel can be a problem. Besides the fuel availability issue I think it makes sense from an upkeep point of view to drive a gasser. If a diesel breaks down the money really adds up to get it going again. Diesel torque is great but honestly I've never hooked up to anything that my gasser will not haul.

Thanks for the input.

Haven't really considered diesel fuel availability. I guess it's because there are three large truck stops within 5 miles of my place. But you're right about problems finding diesel up in the hills away from the interstates, where I plan to do a lot of my towing. I've noticed some of the F250s and F350s I've checkout out on the Web have dual fuel tanks. Than would be a nice plus if I can latch onto one of those.

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #24  
The availability of fuel has never been a big concern for me since I go ~half again as long on a tank full. :)

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #25  
If I were you I'd look to an f350 srw at the minimum if your at all worried about being "legal".If not than have at an F250,basically the same truck with different gvwr tags and springs.an f250 with v10 or diesel will be overloaded with a GN trailer thans loaded properly.Those trucks are well built,and heavy,about 7000-7800lbs with driver,depending on configuration,obviously the crew cab 8ft bed is the heaviest.a 10K GN will put 2K on the trucks axle,plus the hitch.....
I agree with you on the V10,it is a better engine than the 7.3 PSD,most v10s will outlast the PSD,and the PSD does have an injection pump,its called the HPOP high pressure oil pump.They do fail,and they arent cheap.If the truck cant generate 3000psi of oil pressure,it will not start until you replace the hpop.Injectors are $$ and fail often on high mile trucks,esp if the oil change intervals were at all neglected.Also PSDs eat an oil pan ever 2-4 yrs in salt belt states....

I have yet to see a v-10 make it past 220k, and 190k without moderate blowby and oil consumption. I have seen lots of 7.3's with 260+ and running strong, seen a couple fail around 140k

The pump on the 7.3 is a HEUI pump, they do fail sometimes, mostly due to leaking plugs in the body. They are around $650.00 for a good reman.

It only takes around 725 psi of sustained oil pressure during cranking for the engine to start and idle well,even less just to get it to fire, 3 to 4k can be seen in high fuel demand situations when chipped.

Most Ford oil pans melt like cotton candy in a thunder storm whether they burn gas or diesel, why, because they still use steel ones on most theyre vehicles. If your state pre wets its salt with calcium chloride, steel pans don't stand a chance regardless of who's engine theyre on.

Last edited:
   / Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #26  
Intersting that in a post on truck pulling the topic of gear ratio has not come up much if at all.

Here's my two cents.

I've only had one engine fail in my life, that was my Mustang's 302 HO with 3000 miles when a valve stem snapped dropping the valve into the motor.

Therefore, I rarely consider the liklihood of a motor "failing", when I say fail I think catastrophic connecting rod break, then blender of death in the bottom end. Other than that, most things, particularly on a gas truck can be relatively easily repaired.

From experience, when a diesel goes bad, it can get expensive, injector pumps and the like, not to mention I find far fewer diesel mechanics around versus gas.

My number one concern is gear ratio, for towing you absolutely need the right gearing. With the right gearing a 350 small block will pull almost anything you could hook up to.

My 1993 Chevy K2500 with 4:11 rear end and 4 speed automatic could pull anything I hooked up to, I hauled 15K with that truck up some of the nastiest hills NH has to offer. The trailer brakes where cherry red coming down the other side.

I've got a 1986 F250 with the 351W with 3:55's and 3 speed and this thing could'nt pull its way out of a wet paper bag.

Like you, I use this truck much less than 5K per year, so mileage is irrelevant, but pulling power is key. I'll be OK as I no longer have my dozer.

But if I had to do it over again, I'd get the chevy 350 (they are everywhere, parts are cheap, they are tough as nails and almost anyone can work on it), 4x4 (invaluable on boat ramps on soft soil) with the 4:11's, probably I'd go the 1 ton as my 2500 had the 1 ton springs in the back and I could haul pallets of block like they were popcorn.

My two cents, pay close attention to gear ratio and GVWR.

Good luck,
Sincerely,
Joel

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #27  
I don't think you can go wrong with a nice F250 or F350. I don't think you nececcarily need a diesel, but if you were to come across a nice one in your price range, I would jump on it. A 350 will certainly handle the trailer easier, as there are lots of little things besides springs that make up the difference, but I think a properly equipped 250 would be fine for you as well.

My advice to you is when you do find a nice v-10 or diesel 250 or 350, for the money you want to spend, do a carfax and have your insurance agent run a loss history on the vin number, then have the truck inspected by a reputable mechanic for hidden issues and flood damage. A little money spent here can realy pay off in the form of either negotiating leverage or passing on somebody elses neglected pos. Finaly, if it checks out, jump on it, good clean ones are not getting any easier to find.

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #28  
Fluster, you over by Roseville Rocklin area? I drive an 02 duramax ccsb, I just got it a month ago from a friend who bought it used and beat it, Got it really cheap so I dont mind to much but its still a pain. Anyway since your going to be mostly freeway look athe chevy duramax or 6.0 or 8.1 gas with IFS you get the nice ride. I really wanted an sfa but my dads getting older and I know he wouldnt want to be bounced all over the place. The duramax is a great engine while I have the lb7 which has injector problems every manufacture does it luckily hasnt struck me yet. The Allison is nice, although it isnt all that it is cracked up to be. I would still consider the Chevy, even if you only drive it 5k a yr. its a 3 hr trip to Shasta and Id rather be in my Chevy than a Dodge and probably a Ford. Gas mileage is decent with Chevys although the Cummins will get the best out of these yrs. I would love a cummins but I dont like the package they come in. If I could get the cummins engine I would do it, and if my dad didnt ride in it Id get the Ford front axle. But alas he does so the sfa must wait. The cummins must wait until this engine dies if it does.

Just my .02 cents

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #29  
Everyone has their favorite type truck. They all have their "Good and Bad" points.
I personally have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 and 220,000 miles. I have not done anything major to it, just water pump, alternator, a couple of batteries throughout the years. I have super chips tuning installed, and straight piped.
I tow 10-11,000 2-3 times per week.
If my truck failed on me now, I would still feel I recieved exellent service from her.

/ Pre-owned F250-kicking the tires #30  
Flusher,
There is a lot of good advice here, as well as opinions. There is a lot more of it (good info, and opintions) in this thread that I started when I was searching for a truck:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/153238-7-3l-powerstroke-5-9l.html

For several reasons, I wanted a diesel. With a projected use of 3-5k miles per year, many advised the the Ford V10, and the GM 8.1L vs. a diesel, and all for good reasons. My choice was more than just about simple economy. My wife and I try to be green, and both cringed at the thought driving a vehicle that gets, at best, unloaded on the highway, 12-13 MPG. Of the big three, consensous seems to be that the Cummins is the best engine, but in a not-so-good package. I've always been a Ford fan, and have the benefit of having two nephews that are technicians at a local Ford dealership, one of which is a diesel tech. From what I understand, the Dodge/Cummins package is a 500,000 mile engine in a 100,000 mile truck, and the Ford Powerstroke (International/Navistar) is a 300,000 mile engine in a 300,000 mile truck.

I was looking in the $10-15k range, so I started looking at 1999-2003 Ford F-250's with the 7.3L Powerstroke. Because the truck is going to be used to pull a camper on family vacations, a crew cab made the most sense, because of overall length, I was looking for a short bed truck. I also wanted under 150k miles. I soon learned, as others have mentioned here, that the F-350, and F-250 are basically the same truck with minor suspension differences. In my search, I found that often, the F-350s where priced the same or LESS than equivalent F-250's, and there were more crew cab F-350's than F-250's.

I wasn't initially looking at 2003-2007 6.0L trucks, as they were getting too new to be in my price range, but also, because the 6.0L has a bad reputation. I was assured by my nephew (Ford diesel tech) that these problems were resolved by 2005, and that if I found a good 2005-2007 truck for a good price, I should seriously consider it. The 6.0L engine makes 325 HP/570 lb*ft, vs. 275 HP/520 lb*ft -- 50 more HP, and 50 more lb*ft -- what's not to like! The other benefit to the 2003 and newer trucks is the "Torque Shift" 5 speed automatic transmission, which is a huge improvement over the older 4 speed unit. The Super Duty trucks also got an improved front suspensions (coils instead of leaf), which gives them a better ride, and a 5-foot smaller turning cirle.

The main thing with the 6.0L vs. the 7.3L is maintenance. Change the oil every 5k, and the fuel filters every 15k, and drain the water out of the HFCM (fuel filter/water separator) monthly. Because of the bad rep. of the 6.0L, you might find some of the in the same price range aas the 1999-2003 7.3L trucks.

I ended up finding a 2006 4WD F-350XL crew cab long bed with 113k miles for $13,500. Most of the other trucks on my list were 1999-2001, and $12k-$17k. One consession that I had to make, was that it is a lower-end XL truck vs the XLT's and Lariats that I was looking at. This means no power windows, locks or mirrors, no door pockets, plain bench seat w/o center console, etc. My truck does have AC, cruise control, and the very nice integrated brake controller (which is an option, and wasn't available on the earlier '99-'03 trucks). The upside, is a truck that is half the age of the others I looked at, and has likely all highway miles (>25,000/year). Also, as stated above, with the revised front suspension, the turning circle of this truck is about the same as a crew cab short bed, so I get the additional cargo space of the long bed, but the same turning radius of the earlier short bed trucks I was looking at. I'm going to make some stake sides, so when I get firewood, I can make use of the 11,200lb GVWR/3900 lb payload this truck has, haul a full cord of wood at time in the bed, and another in my trailer.

After purchasing, I promptly sent the truck to my Ford diesel-tech nephew to flush and fill both the transmission and cooling system, as well as give it a good check over. I'm also change out all the rest of the fluids as well (engine oil, transfer case, differentials). What ever truck you get, you should do this with once you get it. Automatic transmissions need to have the fluid changed at least every 30,000 miles, no matter what the manufacture states. This info comes to me from a friend of mine who rebuilds automatic transmissions for a living.

All the big three make good trucks, some better than others, but when buying a used truck, the most important thing is probably how it was maintained. As others have stated, get a prepurchase inspection from a qualified technician, and get a carfax report (I still have 2 weeks left on my 30-day subscription if you want to me to get the carfax for you). Good luck with your search!

Jay\