finish nail puller deluxe.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Here is a finish nail puller I put together. Its not my idea, and works like a charm when you have finish nails in old trim or boards and you'd like to pull the nails through, not backwards like most nail pullers. This very much lessens the damage to the wood. That's a little piece of pipe I welded onto the jaw. The pipe was smoothed up so as to scratch less.
P1100373.jpg

Last edited:
   / finish nail puller deluxe. #4  
I spent some years as a carpenter and contractor. Never owned or used the dedicated nail puller. For that matter never seen anyone use it. My uncle had one in the bottom of a tool box, but I never saw him use it either. I am sure it works fine.

For most situations I use the two tools below. They provide a lot of leverage. Use with a piece of 1/4" plywood to avoid denting the material you are working with, assuming it is worth treating carefully. For big rusty nails you cannot beat a crowbar. I also have a specialized tool for dismantling decks board by board, it is like a 5 foot pipe welded to a claw hammer.

I think the modified vise grips will work really well for a range of situations.

pullers.jpg

/ finish nail puller deluxe.
Seem there is some confusion as to that this tool does. This pulls the nails through the board, not backwards like most nail pullers do. This is best for trim nails in old wood or trim, that you'd like to reuse.

Last edited:
   / finish nail puller deluxe. #6  
You should check out a crescent 56
I've used those to dismantle large wooden shipping crates. They damage the heck out of the wood if the head is buried. I don't think it would work very well for finish nails pulling them through the backside of trim work like the OP's vice grip tool, since there's no head on that end. But they do work great on sinkers.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #7  
Seem there is some confusion as to that this tool does. This pulls the nails threw the board, not backwards like most nail pullers do. This is best for trim nails in old wood or trim, that you'd like to reuse.
I've usually just used channel locks on the backside to pull finish nails through, but your tool looks like it has a good rocker with that pipe welded to it. (y)

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #8  
Channel lock pliers do a great job pulling nails through the backside (or any direction for that matter).

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #9  
Seem there is some confusion as to that this tool does. This pulls the nails through the board, not backwards like most nail pullers do. This is best for trim nails in old wood or trim, that you'd like to reuse.
No, we understand. I use either vise grips like that or channel locks, but use the larger rounded 'back' edge, opposite of where you welded the pipe.

/ finish nail puller deluxe. #10  
Same way the blue handled tool in the pic on post #4 does.. Always pull from the backside.