Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #31  
Not want, but must have. It is very rare that you can't get a DS1 pretty much any place in the nation that is wired and for a backup that will do. Also almost every cellular tower throughout the country has at least some form of T3 level connectivity to it. I don't mind paying the price but places like Nevada, west Texas, very rural Montana etc are out.

First, please stop with the acronyms as many here wont understand them and you are forcing them to look the up. DS1, T3, GoM, STBXW. Plain speak ;)

You’re requirements are very specific and conflict considerably. If you want to be away from people you are choosing spotty internet. The dirty secret about rural internet (as some folks here are eluding to) is while you can look at some fancy charts online to see where coverage is a available, getting a reliable signal is another thing entirely. For example the area I am in has 2 different cellular carriers that show 4GLTE full signal, but only 1 of them works “most” of the time. The other one I have to go to a certain place on the property.

Wired internet is non-existent in many places (and also where I am). The closest town of 500 people has Centurylink DSL, but the signal in from the nearest major city is garbage. The signal in town is horrible, they are luck to get 1 mb up, 5mb down and it isn’t reliable. My parents in rural TX were just about the same. We went with a Point to Point connection there (built a $3000, 60 ft tower for line of site to connect to a tower 10 miles away in town).

Starlink is a promising option, but still in Beta. So far I have been very happy with it, but the jury is still out.

Now on to Location. We can narrow this request down to “I want land within 90 min of a major airport”. This is getting more and more expensive to accomplish as many cities/suburbs are growing beyond that 1 hour commute. Notice you didn’t say 90 miles. Within 90 min of a major airport with traffic would put you smack dab in the middle of a busy suburb. So you will need to go some place really back woods. To compare my parents place is 70 miles from DFW airport in Dallas but its a 2.5 hour commUte in traffic. Land there is about $15k an acre, and land developers are buying it all up.

I woudl look at Idaho, but it does have state income tax. Boise airport isn’t huge, but it supports enough flights that you can connect if you need to hit international terminals.

What about WV, NC, SC, TN, GA?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?
Plot thickens!!! Going to get some popcorn...

Seriously, I'm a big fan of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina... if you take your time (wait for the right property) you can find some pretty good deals. Of the three, I think North Carolina has much higher prices compared to the other two.

Not really plot thickening, just a stupid person that decided to do the way wrong thing years ago, thinking she would never be caught.

I like North Carolina, one of the businesses I own a large % of is based in Williamsburg. I have time, my house went on the market yesterday, and one offer people from the communist parts of the country are moving here in droves. I already own a RV and a condo in the area so I would just need to downsize until my office closes here(December 31st 2021). The only real deadline I have is December 31st of 2022 to have something purchased.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #33  
What does this mean?
It means he graduated in a small town like I did. My Wife loves my class reunions, hates her's. She graduated with 800 classmates. Mine was in SW Arkansas, an area I was thinking about for him, except for the waterfront.
David from jax

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #34  
I can see that, we have been living in different states for over four years already though. After getting out of jail she tried to move into my home, I don't want her near our child.
Just start with that next time so we all understand. I know privacy and all but we are all tractor friends here!

First, please stop with the acronyms as many here wont understand them and you are forcing them to look the up. DS1, T3, GoM, STBXW. Plain speak ;)

You’re requirements are very specific and conflict considerably. If you want to be away from people you are choosing spotty internet. The dirty secret about rural internet (as some folks here are eluding to) is while you can look at some fancy charts online to see where coverage is a available, getting a reliable signal is another thing entirely. For example the area I am in has 2 different cellular carriers that show 4GLTE full signal, but only 1 of them works “most” of the time. The other one I have to go to a certain place on the property.

Wired internet is non-existent in many places (and also where I am). The closest town of 500 people has Centurylink DSL, but the signal in from the nearest major city is garbage. The signal in town is horrible, they are luck to get 1 mb up, 5mb down and it isn’t reliable. My parents in rural TX were just about the same. We went with a Point to Point connection there (built a $3000, 60 ft tower for line of site to connect to a tower 10 miles away in town).

Starlink is a promising option, but still in Beta. So far I have been very happy with it, but the jury is still out.

Now on to Location. We can narrow this request down to “I want land within 90 min of a major airport”. This is getting more and more expensive to accomplish as many cities/suburbs are growing beyond that 1 hour commute. Notice you didn’t say 90 miles. Within 90 min of a major airport with traffic would put you smack dab in the middle of a busy suburb. So you will need to go some place really back woods. To compare my parents place is 70 miles from DFW airport in Dallas but its a 2.5 hour commUte in traffic. Land there is about $15k an acre, and land developers are buying it all up.

I woudl look at Idaho, but it does have state income tax. Boise airport isn’t huge, but it supports enough flights that you can connect if you need to hit international terminals.

What about WV, NC, SC, TN, GA?

I guess I should stop, just habit of work, right now. I do have a private 10GB wave to my home from our cage at a datacenter. I should have said 90 miles not 90 min. I completely understand that my connectivity is likely to be more than a house payment would be for our private line stuff.

I have been looking in Georgia, more in the Alpharetta/Cummings area, nothing really has shown up. I already have an office in Atlanta so it would be a fairly easy transition. I thought I had found a property near Valdosta, GA but couldn't get connectivity even using a copper based T3 to the location as they are out of capacity for a point to point link.

Starlink is interesting I have a couple of employee's on it for their ranches but for primary residence this is out.

I have looked at all just basically other than TN, really never did give it a thought. I have a couple of good friends that live there.

It means he graduated in a small town like I did. My Wife loves my class reunions, hates her's. She graduated with 800 classmates. Mine was in SW Arkansas, an area I was thinking about for him, except for the waterfront.
David from jax

You hit the nail on the head, how do you like Jacksonville? There is a property available there that work as a primary residence on the St. John's river that I was considering. We do some stuff up in the Kingsbay/Brunswick area along with Jacksonville I haven't ever really considered Jax that much.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #37  
Interesting thread.
Seems by now most TBN'ers would just as soon have more land and fewer neighbors.
Last thing I want in my rural area is another bunch of 5 acre horse farms.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #38  
I have 24 acres just outside Valdosta, Ga and it really didn't hit me for what you were looking for, even though the Withlachooche River is a short distance away with property that could be purchased. I had a friend who was an airline pilot that was required to be within 90 miles of the Atlanta Airport, and is just south of Chattanooga, TN. He lives on top of a hill, loves it but I doubt has the internet capability you need. Too cold there for my Wife!
David from jax

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #39  
Hey All,

While I post under a different username around here from time to time. I don't want to use that username as my STBXW knows it and I don't want her seeing it immediately.

I am originally from the foothills of the Ozark mountains, where I graduated high school with less than 100 people in my class. Since graduating from college and during some of my advanced degrees I have lived in major cities all the way to having a home in New York City and both costs. I have spent the last few years primarily on the west coast though, and hate it here, especially with all of the liberal idiots that are moving too close to me.

Ok so here are the details.

Absolute #1 is must have high speed internet access that isn't wireless, and I greatly prefer two providers that aren't wireless. I work in the technology industry and this can't be negotiated.

1. Mostly warm climate is required, other than Montana or Wyoming(which would take something very special and very large).
2. Within 30-45 minutes of a mid-sized corporate jet terminal and <90 minutes from a top 25 airport for commercial flights with a decent international presence.
3. Good education system without the need for private schools.
4. Good location for horses, I have show horses, would like to have more of a garden etc. Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium, I have horses and a garden right now in a large city lol.
5. A good area for business, no tax hell hole such as California, New York, etc.
6. A good employee talent base available.

These are some greatly desired things.

1. Either on a coast, GoM or within an hour or two of, perfect world would be something on a freshwater river within a 30-45 minute boat ride to the GoM in a decent area.
2. Reasonably close to at least some culture that isn't a Disney(I don't consider Orlando culture lol).
3. Would like to spend 400k-750k.
4. I would take a small house/lot on a canal with a horse property close, but haven't found that yet.

I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here.

Easy solution: Go kiss & make up with the "twerp" agent and buy those properties!

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #40  
I live 1000' off the road on 10 acres and have ~480 mB internet now. Had to trench a burly direct-burial coaxial cable up to the comcast line at the road. Downside is, I am near the city, and can hear subwoofers and sirens at times (honestly not a downside, close to great restaurants, groceries, and easy commute to work). All the venison you could eat, though.