Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #41  
Easy solution: Go kiss & make up with the "twerp" agent and buy those properties!
Having done a real estate sale with an agent that was a "twerp", and ironically is trying to buy into our family property in Jacksonville (wants 1/4 acre of ours to go with property they are buying) I won't be dealing with them again. However, you can change agents, and let the new agent work out the commissions.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #43  
I would have suggest the South Dallas - Fort Worth area. Fits everything you wanted on that long list, except that's Texas.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #44  
Sounds like a few million people I moved away from.
Maybe so, but with enough land for horses, you can get away from your neighbors. My Dad in SW AR can only see 1 neighbor and that is on top of the next hill...
Property can still be purchased in acres and although the nice house may drive prices up, it is still something that can be accomplished here. I was approached by a friend, saying his next door neighbor was going to sell and would I consider a $400,000 house. It was a nice house on 10 acres with great neighbors on a private road, but I had just agreed to purchase a different house. My friends neighbors house was bought by a family getting out of CA for $700,000.00, as it got into a bidding war which only lasted a few days.
There is 26 acres next door to me, but only a small portion is able to be built on, due to a river flowing thru the back end of it. Cheap enough and gives you the buffer from people like me (lol). Lots of options that fit the requirements, just not in a package deal. Got to think outside the box.
David from jax

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #45  
LOL Agree. Except one of his stipulations is politically slanted. So he will have to check out the area (locality) carefully. Maybe do a drive by and look for yard signs.? Or get out and yell "Karen" a few times to see the reaction.
You know, so he can really fit in, long term.

Plot thickens!!! Going to get some popcorn...

Seriously, I'm a big fan of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina... if you take your time (wait for the right property) you can find some pretty good deals. Of the three, I think North Carolina has much higher prices compared to the other two.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?
Having done a real estate sale with an agent that was a "twerp", and ironically is trying to buy into our family property in Jacksonville (wants 1/4 acre of ours to go with property they are buying) I won't be dealing with them again. However, you can change agents, and let the new agent work out the commissions.

It is the seller's agent and she is also the next door neighbor for the primary residence, so no way in hell am I moving next to her.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #47  
It is the seller's agent and she is also the next door neighbor for the primary residence, so no way in hell am I moving next to her.
Got enough money stashed to buy her out also? (just kidding!) I sold a great place in Switzerland, Fl because of neighbors that a pain. Six months later, they sold out because they couldn't get along with any of the other neighbors. Wish I could of held out just a little longer!
David from jax

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #48  
As close as you can get to rtp, and be far enough away from people would be my suggestion.

Best,

ed

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #49  
In the South, cities with SEC or state colleges might be a place to look. These are often in smaller cities but with good broadband, services, shopping, healthcare, etc. Rural properties are on the nearby outskirts. Valdosta is nice just be prepared for the humidity and gnats this far south. Broadband can be an issue away from town. DSL.

Last edited:
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #50  
Sounds like you're on board - but remember the "folks" you're trying to move away from when voting in elections here in the beautiful South.

Southern GA has a lot of nice places. You mentioned Kings Bay/north FL. That's a nice area too.
Cummings/Alpharetta is very nice but there isn't, or soon won't be, any rural areas left in that area.
Dalton, GA is pretty close to KATL/KCHA and has rural ground.

Really, the biggest impediment to rural living is the lack of good internet connectivity. I'm long struggled with the same issue.

Good luck.