1963 Case 530CK Backhoe/Loader

/ 1963 Case 530CK Backhoe/Loader
Wow, you sure have been busy! Great pictures and write up, thanks!

Yes, it feels like I have been busy. But sure have a lot to do yet. Thanks for noticing. I'll have a bunch more to post......

Here are some of the pictures that I promised.

I've included some old and the new ones so that you can see it in order of progression. Well most of the pictures are kind of self explanatory and you probably don't need captions, but here goes:

IMG_1429_rs.jpg
Just one to show how it looked before disassembly, the damage on the front part of the arm. If you look at the very upper part of the tower with the hole through it you can see how buggered up the welding and fit were. Someone at an earlier time had tried to fabricate a partial replacement of the tower and re-align the pivot boss and bushing and it was never right so I am discarding most of it and using only the rear undamaged flange that attaches the arm to the rear axle.

IMG_1428_rs.jpg
This is my used replacement arm (after sandblasting), shows the damage to the rear flange and why I am cutting it off and discarding it. You know, most of these pieces of equipment are so abused that I don't think you could ever find one that is complete and undamaged at least some place on the tractor after 50+ years of use.

IMG_1769_rs.jpg
This one shows how bad the repair was on the front part of the old arm (angle iron and fish plates on the tower) but the axle flange is good. It was leaking hydraulic fluid in so many places (looking at the dried dirt and oil on face and this was after I had pressure washed the machine) that there was no way to rebuild or preserve it.

IMG_1771_rs.jpg
OK, I determined where to cut the frame and put indexing marks on the rear flange (removed paint on the surface of the part) to speed up the re-join. Look at how the upper bracing arm of the backhoe has dug into the metal frame from the pressure exerted from the hoe working on the frame..

IMG_1776_rs.jpg
This is what is left from cutting the old frame arm and will discard this part. By the way; the section is 3/8" steel. I'm sure that Case sheared the steel from plate stock then broke the radiuses bends, then put them together in a jig and welded them up to form the structural frame arm. I found it pretty amazing that the two frames that I had from different build years were so close in size and shape, it shows Case's willingness to maintain quality control in their manufacturing process!

IMG_1758_rs.jpg
This is the sandblasted front section and will dress this to weld to the flange off of the other arm.

IMG_1760_rs.jpg
Just a larger picture of saved piece and my cutting torch.

IMG_1761_rs.jpg
I stacked up a pile of PT blocks to catch the end as it is falling off after burning off the flange, so it won't fall on my toes.

IMG_1781_rs.jpg
After grinding and preparing both pieces and several test fits I clamped the 2 pieces together and tack welded them.

IMG_1786_rs.jpg
Fitting up the stiff backs (1/2"x6" bar stock) to maintaining straight and cut down on warpage during welding. Doing something like this is akin to putting walers (horizontal support) on concrete forms, resists the pressure exerted by the heat of welding.

IMG_1788_rs.jpg
Looking at the set up from the outside after tacking.

IMG_1790_rs.jpg
Close-up of the rat holes and stiff backs. The rat holes were so that you can continue the weld through the backing stock.

IMG_1799_rs.jpg
I only welded about 4" at a time let it set for awhile to cool (keep the heat warp to a minimum) then proceed again.

IMG_1809_rs.jpg
This picture is while I was checking fit and seeing what needed to be done for final install. I had to take it off and adjust a little at some of the points of contact, but I was real lucky and nailed the fit, considering how easily I could have screwed it up! An 1/8"-1/4" off and it would throw off all of the other points of contact and sync would have made for an unworkable piece of junk! It's not as easy as welding two pieces of steel together, trust me!!!

IMG_1813_rs.jpg
I included this one to show you how many parts would be out of alignment if I had got the angles in my initial cutting of the parts wrong. The arm has compound angles on both ends of attachment at the tractor, it angles in toward the front frame where the radiator is. If any of the parts are out of sync. at any of the dimensions, the shaft or rod that goes through both arms will be in a bind or worse, won't slide through both bosses and the loader arms would be in a bind and you know what happens then!

IMG_1822_rs.jpg
I was setting up the fish plate as extra backing and getting ready to weld. I'm using that duo-shield .045 wire.

IMG_1827_rs.jpg
Got her done and no distortions or warps. I welded it in steps again (not too much heat).

IMG_1824_rs.jpg
Here's the final and finished arm.

IMG_1834_rs.jpg
I still have to pressure test it for leaks then paint the frame before I install it. I've already welded up several leaking spots and re-welded the boss where the loader arm shaft rotates. There were several cracks in the weld and sheet metal of the tower but I think I got those repaired.
Thanks for waiting for this later submission, but it takes time to put it all together as well as doing the project.

/ 1963 Case 530CK Backhoe/Loader #33  
Impressive workmanship. Thanks for the update.

Impressive workmanship. Thanks for the update.

Thanks, wmonroe, I noticed that you have been following my posts and that's appreciated!

Very nice, wish I lived closer, I'd love to watch/learn.

Thanks for the kind words, vulcancowboy. I noticed that you have been following the rebuild too. You know, I'm just an old broken down carpenter, been in the trades for 45-50 years and bought this hoe back in 1998 with all of it's problems, to build my shop and just didn't have time to fix all the broken stuff while I was still working in the real world. Well, I'm retired now and really enjoying the process. I decided if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right.

/ 1963 Case 530CK Backhoe/Loader #39  
I hope to retire in a few years, trying to buy stuff for the shop while I still have the money! I love old (and new) iron!

Well, here are a few more and a little farther down the trail............

IMG_1339_rs.jpg
When I started addressing (what I call the backhoe docking bars) condition, I realized that they were going to have to be entirely rebuilt. The bars were fabricated out of 1"x6" steel and were, because of their size, still in acceptable condition. As you can see from the picture, the front attaching angle 5/8"x3" steel bar had been broken and welded many times. Also the rear axle attaching bars had been broke and welded and warped as well.

IMG_1340_rs.jpg
This is one of the rear bars and welded plate and chicken poop welds, not much strength here!

IMG_1378_rs.jpg
Cleaning prepping the bars for later work. Even the cone shaped hole had some damage that had to have some build up and grinding.

IMG_1380_rs.jpg
After washing off the old welds and steel with a gouging tip on my torch, I could finally begin clamping up the 1"x6" bar, axle attaching bars after milling holes in them, and front angle and get them into proper position to tack up and then weld.

IMG_1384_rs.jpg
Another perspective of the front attachment in sync. with the structural loader frame

IMG_1386_rs.jpg
A close-up of the connection point with 3/4" bolt. I had to build up the surface between the L-flange and frame because of excessive ware at that point. I did this while the loader frame was off, then ground it down for the fit. Now it's ready to tack.

IMG_1388_rs.jpg
Just got them all in position and tacked.

IMG_1391_rs.jpg
Ready for weld up.

IMG_1399_rs.jpg
Welded up a root pass and cooling off.

IMG_1734_rs.jpg
Two cover passes and cooling

IMG_1735_rs.jpg
Finished weld (using .045 Duo-shield) and got good penetration.

IMG_1743_rs.jpg

IMG_1749_rs.jpg

IMG_1756_rs.jpg
Painted and ready to install........... Glad to have this done on both sides!