3 PT Dethatcher

/ 3 PT Dethatcher
Sure seems like there are lots of users that swear that they work. Maybe not like a vertical slicer/dethatcher, but good enough (or so they claim). I'm going to give it a try. Has to be better than nothing, and I'm not walking 2 acres of ground multiple times with a walk-behind. I will post back once I get to use it after all the snow melts and things dry out: Probably May the way things are going :(

None of those fixed dethatchers seem to do very well at dethatching... seems you need a power unit for that.

For what you want, it seems you'd be much better suited with a tow-behind sweeper. Unfortunately nobody seems to make an economical, heavier-duty version of the el cheap tow-behind lawn tractor sweepers, but I have one on my JD mower and it works very well.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #12  
I made this to get up pine needles. I guess technically it is a dethatcher. It did rake up a big pile of pine needles. Probably have about $200 in parts, plus my labor, and the satisfaction that I built this. Overall it weighs in at about 60lbs.
The dethatcher that's linked at $269 + free shipping makes it a good deal. Looking at it the main thing I like about mine over this is that mine sits further back from the tractor.

View attachment 363631 View attachment 363632 View attachment 363633 View attachment 363634 View attachment 363635 View attachment 363636

That's the best executed, weld free implement I have ever seen. Nicely done!

/ 3 PT Dethatcher
Nice job on the home made unit. I'm getting the 50" for $259 and will be using behind a GT. Whats the advantage of being further away from the tractor? I think it will be about 2 feet behind the tractor wheels in my situation. I would think closer is better so that the dethatcher is on the same terrain angle as the tractor. But, I really don't know what is best. I do know that tow behind would not work so well for me because I have too many dead ends with no room to turn. Will have to be: back in, drag through, back in drag through.

I made this to get up pine needles. I guess technically it is a dethatcher. It did rake up a big pile of pine needles. Probably have about $200 in parts, plus my labor, and the satisfaction that I built this. Overall it weighs in at about 60lbs.
The dethatcher that's linked at $269 + free shipping makes it a good deal. Looking at it the main thing I like about mine over this is that mine sits further back from the tractor.

View attachment 363631 View attachment 363632 View attachment 363633 View attachment 363634 View attachment 363635 View attachment 363636

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #14  
Sure seems like there are lots of users that swear that they work. Maybe not like a vertical slicer/dethatcher, but good enough (or so they claim). I'm going to give it a try. Has to be better than nothing, and I'm not walking 2 acres of ground multiple times with a walk-behind. I will post back once I get to use it after all the snow melts and things dry out: Probably May the way things are going :(

I'm confused, it seemed from your original post you wanted to use it for sticks and acorns - it will grab some sticks but leave the acorns. As a dethatcher it will work okay and a walk-behind isn't feasible. They do make power tow-behind dethatchers but they are $$, if you have a local place that rents them it might be worth looking into.

For that price though they charge, it's definitely worth a shot!

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #15  
Anyone use one of these?

CMP 3-Point Dethatcher

Or know any thing about this company and this product. How well do 3 Pt dethatchers work vs. town behind? I like that I can raise and back into tight spots and drop it and let it do it's thing.

I get a lot of sticks and debris off my maple trees and thought his would be good, and maybe help with acorns too?
I bought one like that from everything attachments called "PINE NEEDLE RAKE".It works great for dethatching my lawn.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher
Sticks and acorns are secondary to thatch. My acorns are not thick yet. When the trees get more major I'll probably just get this
Pick Up Small Acorn's with Bag-A-Nut's Tag-A-Long

I think the dethatcher will do good enough pull sticks out of the grass and gathering them, at least partially to make pick up easy.

I'm confused, it seemed from your original post you wanted to use it for sticks and acorns - it will grab some sticks but leave the acorns. As a dethatcher it will work okay and a walk-behind isn't feasible. They do make power tow-behind dethatchers but they are $$, if you have a local place that rents them it might be worth looking into.

For that price though they charge, it's definitely worth a shot!

/ 3 PT Dethatcher
yeah, coobie, I looked at that rake. Decided to save money and get the CMP. I don't have pine needles anyway, and thought the more purpose built for thatch implement would serve me better.

I bought one like that from everything attachments called "PINE NEEDLE RAKE".It works great for dethatching my lawn.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #18  
yeah, coobie, I looked at that rake. Decided to save money and get the CMP. I don't have pine needles anyway, and thought the more purpose built for thatch implement would serve me better.
I don,t have pine needles on my lawn but it works pretty slick dethatching.I also use a 6ft chain harrow for dethatching

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #19  
I don,t have pine needles on my lawn but it works pretty slick dethatching.I also use a 6ft chain harrow for dethatching

I was looking at the chain harrow too, but that takes up a lot of room and not sure if it does a better job. Since you use both...what's the deal?