3 PT Dethatcher

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
Anyone use one of these?

CMP 3-Point Dethatcher

Or know any thing about this company and this product. How well do 3 Pt dethatchers work vs. town behind? I like that I can raise and back into tight spots and drop it and let it do it's thing.

I get a lot of sticks and debris off my maple trees and thought his would be good, and maybe help with acorns too?

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #2  
Unless you really need a de-thatcher a landscape rake would work better on sticks and such. Neither would do much on acorns.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #3  
It looks nice and is reasonably priced. Maybe I'll get one. I don't know if it will do anything for acorns and stuff.
I know my landscape rake is way to aggressive for the lawn. it will take the sticks, stones, grass, soil and everything else.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher
It looks nice and is reasonably priced. Maybe I'll get one. I don't know if it will do anything for acorns and stuff.
I know my landscape rake is way to aggressive for the lawn. it will take the sticks, stones, grass, soil and everything else.

I have a nice landscape rake with gauge wheels. But, it's still too aggressive for grass. What about a pine straw rake? I think this would work on the sticks but how well will it pull up thatch? Yeah, I know the acorns are a tall order. There is a specialty tool that supposedly will gather acorns. Pricey for a one task tool, as I recall. My needs in order of importance are thatch, sticks/depris, acorns.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #5  
nope, but I've been looking for one.
Thanks for posting

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #6  
None of those fixed dethatchers seem to do very well at dethatching... seems you need a power unit for that.

For what you want, it seems you'd be much better suited with a tow-behind sweeper. Unfortunately nobody seems to make an economical, heavier-duty version of the el cheap tow-behind lawn tractor sweepers, but I have one on my JD mower and it works very well.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #7  
I have a small Craftsman tow behind dethatcher now and it works well removing the dead grass.
Only issue I see is that its not a tow behind, but since its so close to the rear wheels, might not matter and won't need to add cement blocks to it to get it to dig down.

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #8  
I have a small Craftsman tow behind dethatcher now and it works well removing the dead grass.
Only issue I see is that its not a tow behind, but since its so close to the rear wheels, might not matter and won't need to add cement blocks to it to get it to dig down.

Really? I have one and even with cinder blocks on it, it leaves probably 75% of the thatch behind and still stuck. The tow-behinds look EXACTLY the same, must be my grass/ground which prevents it from working. The power dethatchers take almost all of it out, but try running one on 3 acres of grass :p

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #9  
I made this to get up pine needles. I guess technically it is a dethatcher. It did rake up a big pile of pine needles. Probably have about $200 in parts, plus my labor, and the satisfaction that I built this. Overall it weighs in at about 60lbs.
The dethatcher that's linked at $269 + free shipping makes it a good deal. Looking at it the main thing I like about mine over this is that mine sits further back from the tractor.

20140218_155908.jpg 20140218_155847.jpg 20140215_142119[1].jpg 20140215_142051[1].jpg 20140215_142037[1].jpg 20140219_164656.jpg

/ 3 PT Dethatcher #10  
Really? I have one and even with cinder blocks on it, it leaves probably 75% of the thatch behind and still stuck. The tow-behinds look EXACTLY the same, must be my grass/ground which prevents it from working. The power dethatchers take almost all of it out, but try running one on 3 acres of grass :p

Well, I'm not doing 3 acres :D, but I also don't cut the grass too short so not too much thatch to get up. The first time I did it, I did the entire lawn one way, went back and did it the other and then dragged it around every time I mowed for the month. By the second month, the lawn was the best its ever been. But that first day, boy did I pull up a lot of thatch.

I made this to get up pine needles. I guess technically it is a dethatcher. It did rake up a big pile of pine needles. Probably have about $200 in parts, plus my labor, and the satisfaction that I built this. Overall it weighs in at about 60lbs.
The dethatcher that's linked at $269 + free shipping makes it a good deal. Looking at it the main thing I like about mine over this is that mine sits further back from the tractor.

That looks nice! Something about building things yourself always seems to install a bit more pride.