750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #32  
Have wished many times that I had on hand the broken concrete I buried in a 'fill'. Worth holding on to, you'll find uses as time goes by.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #33  
not sure why you don't rent a portable crusher? I had a big barn that I demo'ed and replaced 4-5 years ago in the UK. 60'x120' concrete slab and concrete blocks/stone walls (was cheaper and safer to demo than try to fix it up, the thing was almost 100 years old). Hired a Rhino 5000Plus portable crusher for a week. Probably not available in the US, but I'm sure they have something similar. Used the crushed concrete to make a really good base for the new barn slab (60'x180') AND the barn yard access, which saved me a ton of money in fill material. But then again, I didn't have rebars in the old concrete. I just used my 5-ton Kubota, hammer and bucket/thumb, and the tractor to move the 3/4" crushed material where is was needed. But here in the UK, rubble disposal is extremely expensive

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #34  
A previous comment was about reusing the broken pieces for landscaping, etc. I've seen a civic minded guy with access to a lot of broken concrete, use it to fix a continually eroding stream bank that the municipality never seemed to get right. He did it more than 20 years ago and it's still holding. Vegetation has covered much of it and it looks pretty good.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #35  
We built on 12 acres that had an old 750' long concrete driveway that was poured at various times whenever the previous owner's friends had concrete waste they needed to dump.

The time is past due for us to address this monstrosity and we are trying to figure out options.

Because it's so rough with many cracks, we don't feel that asphalting over top is going to work, so we're likely stuck on demoing it. What we're not sure of is what to do with the waste. I'll likely be renting a skid steer with a jackhammer attachment to rip it all up. After that, we're not entirely sure.

Any suggestions?
I bought a hammer for my bobcat at a Ritchie Brothers auction. I think $600 and did $30,000 in demo work with it. I have a small dump trailer and hauled it all off one summer.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #36  
I am not going to comment on the demo part because all the options are already posted, just a matter of what would work for you and the needs of your land.
I can help you to prevent a reoccurrence of problems with a new driveway. So if your interested let me know. If 10k is your budget then I probably can’t help much because you have limited options. A driveway is like most construction or even a paint job, preparation is more work than the finishing. Poor preparation poor final results.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #37  
I removed a large concrete patio and could not find a reasonable way to get rid of the concrete. My pile was only 40 cubic yards. I hired a guy to dig a hole in a low area on my 5 acres and I buried it. The low spot in my yard is gone the concrete is gone and no more standig water in that area. I had him dig the hole deep enough so the concrete had at least 36" of dirt on top of it. When I sold th property a few years ago, I disclosed it to the buyer and they didn't care.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #38  
We have a 1000' driveway. The base is an old state road that was rebuilt adjancent to our property. The old road was cement built in the 50s or before. Previous owners put asphalt on top of the old road. Where the cracks in the cement road were are also in the asphalt. We get the asphalt covered with bitumen (tar) coating every 4-5 years and the cracks get filled with the bitumen prior to coating.

The coating costs $2500 every 4 years not counting the asphalt. Key is making sure there is proper drainage so no water flows over the road surface.

Just some food for thought if you decide that is an option for you.

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #39  
I buried a small slab a few years ago. I think it was in the 12x12 foot range. I lifted it's edge with my backhoe and dropped it several times until each piece was just a few feet. Then I dug a deep hole with the backhoe and slid all of the concrete into the hole. I filled it in with the dirt, and drove over it a bunch of times. In a few months, the grass had pretty much grown over that area, and I totally forgot about it until reading the previous post. I mowed that area over the weekend and never thought about it. It's flat grass now without any sign of ever having concrete there.

I don't know if I would try to bury 750 feet of concrete. That's a bit extreme. But it's a lot cheaper then hauling it anywhere!!!!!

/ 750' Concrete Driveway Demo/Refinish Help #40  
We built on 12 acres that had an old 750' long concrete driveway that was poured at various times whenever the previous owner's friends had concrete waste they needed to dump.

The time is past due for us to address this monstrosity and we are trying to figure out options.

Because it's so rough with many cracks, we don't feel that asphalting over top is going to work, so we're likely stuck on demoing it. What we're not sure of is what to do with the waste. I'll likely be renting a skid steer with a jackhammer attachment to rip it all up. After that, we're not entirely sure.

Any suggestions?
Run it through a crusher, and use it as a base for the new driveway