Any suggestions

/ Any suggestions #21  
There are correct ways to use fall protection on roofs like this. I imagine it takes training on how to use it correctly though.

/ Any suggestions #22  
You may have your project complete by now. My roof is similar. I did not know about the roof jacks which are pictured above. Wow... good items. If those are not in your budget, what I did was attached two known strength ropes to a tractor on the other side of the house. The ropes go over the house. I attach myself to those. Test... climb... secure... all good. However, if you are putting on long roof panels, remember that every error is magnified over the length. You may need to start in the center and work in both directions as well. Good luck. Consider sending a long a note about what worked for you.

/ Any suggestions #23  
When working on a roof and that feeling that you are within are nats butt of sliding off sets in it can be humbling. I've worked on may roofs over the years and you never quite get used to it. The worst part is that the semi panic it causes just increases the risk of falling. In all honesty, if you are too uncomforable get someone to do it for you. If you were to fall it could be life ending or paralize you not to menition broken bones and more. Its just not worth it.

But, with that said. If you want to take it on yourself order a window washer's harness such as the Palmer product in this link ( I have used these and they are very good )

( Amazon.com ).

This harness is not very expensive and you can use a single point anchor on the other side ( don't use the chiminey or vent pipe ). Add to it a couple of good quality carabinas and you can have a piece of mind. If you use something like this tie off from the front. In addition two ladders to lay down on the roof itself help a lot. Use or make ladder stablizers to hook over the peak and take your time setting these up so they have good overhang and are solid. With two ladders you can move from one to the other and slide them down as you move across the roof with the harness protecting you from any slips and you will be ok.

Bear in mind that the angle of the roof will work against you so it is helpful to predrill the screw holes in the metal while it is on the ground. You will also want one more thing - Someone to help you.

Good luck and be carfull..

Last edited:
   / Any suggestions #24  
I have done many roofs and metal roof are a pain. A pain to get up on the roof and a pain to install especially alone and if windy... I avoid it at all cost... Although once install they are nice.

/ Any suggestions #25  
I re-roofed a large tobacco barn in 2019. Did most of it myself with occasional help from a buddy. The hardest and scariest thing was getting the first safety line in place—I threw a safety rope from one side to the other (anchored on the ground) and climbed up, tore back some roof, and nailed an anchor in place on the peak. They make them so you can hammer them flat and just lay the roof over top and move on to the next anchor.

Get a professional safety kit with harness and rope and a bunch of anchors. Have a really good nail puller—not a cheapie. Also, battery screw gun (impact kind) is your best friend.

This probably saved me $20K.

IMG_7274.jpeg

/ Any suggestions #26  
Blue Knife Link to ladder hooks. I've doe all my own roofs. some 8 some 12. 2 sets of the ladder hooks and 2 ladders on the roof. one srt to the left of new sheet, get a few screws at the bottom and the 2nd ladder on the sheet to screw it off. once you do a few it gets easier.

/ Any suggestions #27  
I love metal roofs, will never go back to shingle and have done quite a few but never steep like 8/12 etc. On the roofs Ive done, 4/12, 6/12 I used roofing jacks mid point of the whole length, a safety harness with rope and "Cougar Paws" magnetic shoes. New sheets from the factory can be quite slippery even on 4/12. If you are working from one end to the other (rake end), its best to use chalk lines to square up the first sheet and then double check every so often. What I do is just snap a line 24" from the eve end so that the line is parallel to the eve, then figure out where I want to start depending on prevailing wind (so water isn't driven up the overlap by any chance). I make a mark on the chalk line about 2" away from where the first sheet will be put down. From that mark I do either 3-4-5 or 6-8-10 etc. triangle to make the right angle to the snapped line and then snap that. From there, I snap a few more right angle lines on the roof about half way and 3/4 way just for reference so that I can measure to make sure sheets are at a right angle to the eves and so that the eve end of the sheets stay straight and not staggered. I also sometimes use a scrap 2x4 stop on the bottom to prevent the sheets from falling off the roof and you can wiggle and shake the sheet into place if its not too windy. I pre mark my screw locations on each sheet because I normally use metal over a roof deck and not purlins, when using over roof deck it keeps noise to a minimum. Most rental places will rent safety equipment and scaffolding. Take your time, those in a hurry often make dangerous situations a reality.

/ Any suggestions #28  
Rent a boom lift and use vise grips to clamp on the top edge of the panel . Lift and lay the sheets down onto purlins which can be used as a ladder to screw the sheets down. And by all means get some help ,2 helpers plus your self . I put on my own metal roof this way , 12/12 pitch , took 4 days to cover 5500 sq ft . All panels were cut to length, only cutting was for the valleys.

Attachments

• IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4968.jpeg
    IMG_4968.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
   / Any suggestions #29  
I used my JLG basket lift, once you get a couple or even one sheet up you can also add a chicken ladder. It has a wheel on the top with a hook that goes over the ridge. Push it up and flip it over. The rungs are raised and made from rebar. Still a good idea to have a safety harness with an inertia stop reel. My house was the biggest challenge but the metal was mineral coated steel in a shingle form. It was 12/12 and 45’ to the peak. Shop was sheets with 23’ peak.

/ Any suggestions #30  
Any suggestions?
If you can travel back when you were eighteen . . . Nah, that's realistic.

I suffer from the fears and find it extremely stressful on a roof. On my no where near 8/12 pitch shop roof I paid a fellow too much money to do the work and he did not do it the way I wanted it done (Screw Placement). I paid another fellow to do a shed roof (Shingles). So I share your pain and frustration.

Then again, I'm pushing eighty with muscle strength and eyesight and hear deficiencies compounding to diminish my effervescent Can Do attitude when the ladder's four feet tall or more.

Suggestion, well I would watch This Old House and every 'Install a Metal Barn Roof' video on the youtube. I've found so many different methods of skinning the cats I thought I had down cold - and some of them were much better than the way I'd done it 'for years.'

Likely you are not alone - Al Hitchcock made a movie about the fear of heights - Vertigo.

While I would not recommend liquid courage, I wonder if your doctor might prescribe a valium sort of pill that would lessen anxiety w/o diminishing your ability to function up there.

The courage is there and we can do it in a pinch, but . . .