Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #301  
OK guys, I must confess, I have not ever owned a battery powered anything. It has always been gas powered.

A few days ago, my 13 year old Wen 14" 38.5CC two cycle chain saw stopped working. I was cutting down a large tree an cutting it into man sized chunks, when it stopped suddenly while cutting. After a minute or two, I would start again, but now it will not start. Yes it got hot so I think that the coil is tost. I can get a little spark but when I put the plug in and try to start the engine, nothing. I also noticed that there is some play in the flywheel end of the crankshaft.

So now I want to go battery powered. The number of saws is not only bewildering, it is also confusing.

I want to get a 14" battery powered saw that I will use from time to time to cut down trees or just trim some of the limbs on my trees in my yard. This will NOT be used in a business or professional type situation.

Can you give me some ideas on what saw will work for me ?

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #302  
I would suggest you buy based on the system, not the saw. I have a DeWalt 20v saw and I find it to be a very good tool. I got it because I have a drill, angle grinder, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, and pole saw in the same system. Once you see how convenient the battery tools are, you just can't stop.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #303  
I have the Harbor Freight 80Volt saw and am well pleased with it so far.
My brother has the Milwaukee M18 and if you use the very large battery it is decent,
any of the smaller batteries and it doesn't do near as good.
And it is no where's close to the saw the 80 volt is. Of course the 80 Volt battery is expensive.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #304  
I have the Harbor Freight 80Volt saw and am well pleased with it so far.
My brother has the Milwaukee M18 and if you use the very large battery it is decent,
any of the smaller batteries and it doesn't do near as good.
And it is no where's close to the saw the 80 volt is. Of course the 80 Volt battery is expensive.

I looked at the Milwaukee 14" saw and to me, it looks overpriced at $499.00 with the 8.0AH Battery and charger. I see that Milwaukee goes to great length to hide the voltage of this battery. It is a M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion HIGH OUTPUT XC 8.0 Ah Battery.

Lower voltage = larger wire size and that means more weight.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #305  
Atlas harbor freight 80 volt here, two batteries, fast charger, 18" saw, pole saw, weed trimmer, pole saw. All great tools for the money. Oh and leaf blower.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #306  
I'm not sure voltage equates to more amp hours or a better saw. I'd suggest looking at one that has these features.

Uses normal saw tools and chains.
Uses a standard chain tightening system.
Can get aftermarket battery's for.
Has an oil tank and pump.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #307  
I have several Ryobi 40 volt chain saws . They work good for light to medium sized trees under 10 inches. Their price is good and you can often get them on sale at Directtools.com. I use them to cut most of my firewood about 5 cords a year. If doing much cutting extra batteries are nice. Usually cheaper to get an extra tool with battery and charger included

/ Battery powered chainsaw #308  
I'm curious about the "coming soon" 20" ryobi saw (40V HP BRUSHLESS 20" CHAINSAW KIT - RYOBI Tools). I figure buy whatever is newest and I've had great experience with the Ryobi stuff.
Only thing is that since they've taken their time getting this saw out, I've fixed my smaller saw that I was thinking about replacing...

/ Battery powered chainsaw #309  
I'm curious about the "coming soon" 20" ryobi saw (40V HP BRUSHLESS 20" CHAINSAW KIT - RYOBI Tools). I figure buy whatever is newest and I've had great experience with the Ryobi stuff.
Only thing is that since they've taken their time getting this saw out, I've fixed my smaller saw that I was thinking about replacing...
I go into the field with 2 or three extra batteries, but seems I don't often need them.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #310  
I have 3 of the Stihl AP batteries and never ran out of power for cleanup in the woods.

Actually had my gas Stihl out last weekend cleaning up a large oak that fell across the trail… started right up with over a year in the basement.

Storage Temp almost constant with full tank Stihl Ultra mix