Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #311  
I'm curious about the "coming soon" 20" ryobi saw (40V HP BRUSHLESS 20" CHAINSAW KIT - RYOBI Tools). I figure buy whatever is newest and I've had great experience with the Ryobi stuff.
Only thing is that since they've taken their time getting this saw out, I've fixed my smaller saw that I was thinking about replacing...

I am leaning towards the Ryobi:
FROM HOME DEPOT $279.00 Model# RY405100 RYOBI 40V HP Brushless 14 in. Battery Chainsaw with 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger

But I have questions. I have read some of the operators manuals and in the trouble shooting section, it states that if the saw stops while cutting, it maybe overheated.

Have any of you had this happen ?

Also I am wondering if there are air filters on the saw. I could be wrong, but I assume that the motor is cooled with a fan as well as the controller.

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #312  
My makita(s) will shut down when the motor gets hot and the lights on the saw will tell me that. There are no filters.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #313  
My Ryobi's will shut down if you try to push down on the saw too hard when cutting. My 120 volt Redback saw will do the same and also my sons Ego and Dewalt will shut down also if you put too much downforce on them when cutting . They do not have air filters or cooling faans

/ Battery powered chainsaw #314  
So back a few pages I said I got the Greenworks 80v 18" as an upgrade to the 40v 16". I'll now say that the 16" 40V is still my goto saw. It's lighter and usually enough to cut what I usually need to cut. I do a lot more trimming than felling, and the felling I do is usually smaller trees. That's not to say the 80v isn't good. But for me, the 40v 16" works fine for most stuff I need with a bit less effort. The 80v is noticeably more powerful, but heavier and shorter battery life.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #315  
I don't think mine has ever done an overheat shutdown. I have had them get bound up and shut down due to overload, but that's just turn it off and back on and back to work. Also when the battery gets low, they get more sensitive to overload.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #316  
i like this guys testing. This is a battery test, but we added one stihl gas saw to the lineup.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #317  
I've often wondered why there aren't more filters on electric motor driven tools, particularly things like sanders which generate such fine dust.
For a chainsaw, even a small-aperture grille like hair dryers have would probably be really useful (my wife's hair dryer has a grille that snaps on/off at the back so you can easily clean that grille).
Gas chainsaws would make great use of something like that too IMO. An easily-removable (maybe not snap, but a big finger-twist knob) grille that's on the outside, totally obvious to view, as a pre-filter and catch the big stuff.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #318  
For just the low dollar value, there is this:

Kobalt 40V saw Model KCS1040A03 40V 14" SAW W/4.0AH BATTERY AND CHARGER
$120.00 PLUS $30.00 SHIPPING TOTAL COST $150

This is a internet price from E-bay. Local Lowes price is:
$229.00 for the same saw/kit.

So here is the question, how does any warranty repair or replacement differ from local purchase or internet purchase ?

Richard

/ Battery powered chainsaw #320  
Refurb available at Direct tools outlet online for $89 right now. (no battery but if like me I have several of those laying around)

Steve