Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #243  
Since I posted earlier about ordering a Greenworks saw from the Costco sale, I've used it quite a bit. I figured I'd use it for limbing, see if I could stand it instead of my Stihl 211 for that. The 211 has a well-deserved habit of leaking lots oil [design of the oil tank outlet] so it would not create sadness in me to get rid of it.

I began limbing some 12-14" trees [dead] and then cut a few rounds to see how it would do. I ended up cutting the entire trunks on three of these trees into rounds. By the time I was done, battery ran out and I'd been cutting for 45 minutes [4 amp hr battery].

Hot damn, not bad. Relatively quiet, weight not much different from the 211, lasted about as long as a tank of mix. Have now cut over a dozen trees into rounds ready to split, and the saw is very nice to use. 18" bar.

I also am using a Stihl 261 and the 441, some of my trees to cut up are more like 22"+ diameter. No way the battery saw makes sense there.

I have no idea, of course, how well this saw will hold up over time. Or the batteries. But initial use is very encouraging. Never thought I'd want or use a battery saw, but I am convinced and will keep this one.... And the county ban on gas-powered tools [and firearms and outdoor grilling and etc.] continues apace. I expect it to remain until year's end.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #244  
It's a good rule of thumb for your electric chainsaw!
I would go a little larger depending on the type of wood and also the battery chainsaw. My Redback 120 volt saw will do 12 inches easily but my Ryobi 40 volt saws I can do 8 inches easily.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #245  
I don't think anyone is suggesting that current battery saws are even close to being a good replacement for a 70cc saw. Most of them are lucky to match a good quality 40cc saw. Some are approaching a 50cc saw, but suffer from short battery life and heavy weight (especially as compared to pro-level 50 cc saws). With enough batteries, you can make them work for a full day's use, but that gets cumbersome.
Yes, but when you need to make a quick cut, or take out a branch or two, it's much easier to have and use a battery powered chainsaw....

/ Battery powered chainsaw #246  
I think I'd take that to 6", at least
Ditto on my 56V EGo 18". It seems to be the equal of any gasser.

Clearing trail last week a friend was using a gas Stihl. Was reminded how much I like my EGo watching him start that thing several dozen times. Start. Cut 10 seconds. Kill. Start. Cut 10 seconds. Kill. Repeat.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #247  
I just got the 80v Greenworks 18" saw during Amazon Prime Day. $194 with a battery. My Greenworks 40v 16" has punched above it's weight, so expecting the same from this one. It uses a .050 chain and more solid adjustment so hopefully less resetting the chain. We'll see.

The 16" cleaning up some storm damage.
1658296375844.png

/ Battery powered chainsaw #248  
Old Oak about 24" fell across trail from high bank.

Neighbor alerted me.

I walked down with Stihl AP Battery saw and made short work of it...

One thing I noticed is a spray of WD 40 or similar helps all my battery saws and trimmers... mostly from the sticky sap

Neighbor just came over and asked if I was going to clear tree today and I said all done.

He was listening for the sound of chainsaw but with electric there was nothing to hear.
Thanks for the elect saw info. I bought a batt powered POLE saw last year and love it, gets about 50min. per batt.
I do have a quest though...the pole saw has a chain oil reservoir. I just bought a 6" "hand chainsaw" and it has no oil tank???? I hate to run this little chain dry....
Advise???

/ Battery powered chainsaw #249  
Thanks for the elect saw info. I bought a batt powered POLE saw last year and love it, gets about 50min. per batt.
I do have a quest though...the pole saw has a chain oil reservoir. I just bought a 6" "hand chainsaw" and it has no oil tank???? I hate to run this little chain dry....
Advise???
Not sure who built the "hand chainsaw" but all chains on a saws needs oil. I know for the Stihl version it came with a little oil can just for that.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #250  
Advise???
My DeWalt saw has no oil reservoir either. I carry a small squeeze bottle of chain oil when I use the saw and just apply some after making a few cuts.